BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bit short sighted?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime26/3/2022, 15:24

Well, this place is as lively as ever. I'm banking on a few of you having departed this earth.

Anyway, given recent Russian activities and the rush to get stuff back over the channel/North Sea, perhaps our politicians were in too much of a hurry to cut defence spending a few years back. Not that the current government appear to have given any of us the confidence that they intend to change matters.

Will our kids/grandkids be experiencing the delights of Sennelager/Hohne/Munster in the near future? Will we see the return of tax free cars/fags/booze/squaddies wearing white socks? Unlikely I suppose, but it would be good if it happened.

I left Bielefeld 17 years ago. At that time, we thought that the Sovs were no longer a problem, but there were some who did. I wonder if they feel vindicated now?

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime26/3/2022, 23:42

They seem to be hiring at Sennelager DEL Posts (on German economy, so you find your own housing! and wheels)
https://bfgnet.de/employment/vacancies/del/sennelager/
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 20:22

The same goes with Canada and our government. Funny thing is: a few years ago a lot of people were saying we should get out of NATO. Now they're all saying NATO should get into the fight as if NATO was a sort of police force going around trouncing warlord dictators, rather than being a mutual-protection alliance.
So far our Liberal government under Justin Trudeau (son of the "King of the Hippies", Pierre Trudeau, who pulled our brigade out of BAOR) has sent a token force of troops to Latvia in "training missions", but that's about all, save sending some anti-tank hardware to the Ukraine and doing a lot of talking in parliament voicing his outrage. (When you consider the number of Canadian voters with Ukrainian ancestry, I don't think he'd be in danger of losing an election if he did call Putin's bluff.)

If you go through my posts from past years you'll find one in which I naively hoped that BAOR would be reborn with Canada as one of the participants. Vain hope! I'm not pining for the "good old days", but maybe it's time we did resurrect a defensive wall against Putin or his ilk.

Ranger likes this post

Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 20:24

OH MY GOODNESS! I'VE BEEN PROMOTED TO MAJOR!!! The drinks will be on me if any of you get to Peachland BC.

Hardrations likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime31/3/2022, 22:09

Congratulations Recce. Looks good on ya.
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime18/4/2022, 17:28

I'm hoping to take a trip over next summer on the bike. One last hurrah I suppose, but also planning to go to Berlin towards the end of this year. If anybody fancies a meetup and a beer!
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime19/4/2022, 00:30

So, Rocky, you might stop off at NATO Holding Area (Fwd), Normandy Bks, Sennelager
you may have to notify your arrival in advance to get in the camp >
Best to register as a Veteran: https://bfgnet.de/veterans/veterans.html and https://bfgnet.de/veterans/installation-access-pass.html

Any veteran in need of support can contact the Veterans’ Gateway (https://www.veteransgateway.org.uk/) – the 24 hour service which signposts ex-forces
personnel to the wide range of support available to them, including housing and financial advice, career guidance, and medical care from the NHS. Since being set up in 2017, the Veterans’ Gateway has already received over 20,000 contacts, advising ex-forces personnel and their families.

https://www.veteransgateway.org.uk/

https://sennelagerhivegermany.blogspot.com/search/label/Paderborn%2FSennelager

unless you want to buy a former Offrs MQ in Bielefeld: https://www.nw.de/lokal/bielefeld/mitte/23164657_Briten-Haeuser-Die-ersten-Bielefelder-Offiziers-Villen-sind-verkauft.html
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime30/4/2022, 23:10

Well there won't be much chance of the Canadian Army returning to Germany in it's former Bde. strength. The Boy Prince in Ottawa only see's the C.A.F.'s as a means of something to talk about, nothing at all to do something about. His main worry is making every thing military all kissy, kissy and hugs. As it stands he is giving 4, yes 4 towed 155's to the Ukraine. Which probably means one of the 2 Regiments of RCHA are giving up some battle strength. Can't see them having any in reserve. All so after years of running around in circles the RCAF might (MIGHT) get some F 35's which were checked out, looked at, tires kicked and refused in the past. I guess the 2nd hand items from Australia (RAAF) just might be not meeting their needs. Our RCN lives on promises of contracts to be handed out and the far north is guarded by a northern reserve of natives. Who have lately turned in their .303 Enfield's for an up to date weapon.
Back to top Go down
Tug1965
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Verden (twice), Newton Abbot, Tidworth, Colchester, Detmold, Wilton, Bielefeld, Northern Ireland (69 & 72)
Registration date : 2014-11-14

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime1/5/2022, 04:58

Hi All,
I note Rocky that you left Bielefeld 17 years ago.  My last posting other than back to the Depot for discharge was as the Rear Party Chief Clerk at 1 BR Corps Troops Workshop REME, in 1979 - 43 years ago.  The main party were doing a tour of Northern Ireland at the time.  Having spent some time at HQ United Kingdom Land Forces, there was never a question that Russia wasn't going to start a war.  Most knew it would, but it was just a matter of where and when.  It really just takes an upstart ex-KGB A***H**E to think that the Bear needs to growl again.  At least its given NATO the chance to man up and become the "co-ordinated" military defence organisation that it was set up to be.  Weaponry was nothing like it is now and I think those at the top were probably hoping that the Cold War would stay just that - sadly as we know, that was not to be.

Zloty and diefenbaker like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bit short sighted? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit short sighted?   Bit short sighted? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bit short sighted?
Page 1 of 1