BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:04 by Sheilhenry

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 58 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 3 Bots

Sheilhenry

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-07-05

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Empty
PostSubject: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime5/7/2023, 20:04

I am researching the military (road-)traffic circulations during the Cold War period (1960-1990) from North Sea ports in southern part of Holland, and Belgian seaports (and even maybe French seaports), through Belgium and southern provinces of Holland, crossing the river Maas south of Nijmegen/NL.
I am trying to find out and reconstruct the proper routes of these Main Supply Routes used. Such MSRs as assigned by C-Northag were used by BOAR for the (re-)supply of British Forces in Germany, but also for likely for Canadian, and certainly also for USA military road transports.

Specific questions are:
1. What were the exact routings of such MSRs
2. What were the NATO code names for such routes
3. Where did they cross the Belgian-Dutch border
(NB: known are the border crossings at the Belgian villages Meer and Postel, but there likely were more, for
specific/heavy vehicles and special (ammunition ?) cargo)

Any information, and in particular if possible photographs of old maps with marked MSRs, are welcome and will be appreciated.

Frits van 't Spijker,
former (reserve-/retired) transport officer Royal Dutch Army Transport Corps.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime6/7/2023, 09:37

Morning Frits, Welcome,

My name is Alan, I help to keep the site 'Alive' with a few others. Seems general interest for questions has gone quiet over the the last year. I hope this stir some new interest?

Fritz, what you are searching is not something I have knowledge of. I hope ' someone has a good knowledge of 'Resupply'?

One thing many ex mil guys certainly will have is a BAOR Road Map still tucked away. The one I have is I think 1980.  Sorry. it is not for sale.  I'm sure there are thousands about in sheds, cupboards at home.

The map is 1400mm x 1000mm. Rather large to handle in a military vehicle cab. At least it covered a readable area.   This map size will have been on a Conf Room wall.

Ok, the Road Map is probably not what you seek. However,. Its a start! Someone may have the knowledge and Instructions and Maps you seek

Regards

Alan.

PS> I note the UK Ebay has a few maps for sale of BAOR Road Map like the one I have.
PRICE: around £20+ postage

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  AoiZhDw

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  VatYyqo

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Lr8kKi9

allanj likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime6/7/2023, 20:05

Alan,
Thank you for your reaction. I do posses a copy of the BAOR Road map (1987- rather late for the CW period, apart from the fact that several motorways did not yet exist during the 60s and 70s) but it does not have any indication to the MSRs I am looking for.
Thank you for the photographs you showed of your map. Is my conclusion correct that on your map some roads are marked in a different colour ? If so, what could be the meaning ?
An earlier map with MSRs marked must have been available in earlier times for planners , convoy commanders and drivers ?
I do hope that readers of this topic do have memories or, better even, materals from earlier periods, and being willing to share these.
Also movement controllers, cooperation with Belgian and Dutch military road trafic managers, coordinating with BAOR TMs, as located in Grobbendonk/Belgium, might have memories/materials.
All info is welcome and appreciated.
Best regards,

Frits.

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime6/7/2023, 22:53

Frits. The map is dated: 1982

Alan
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime8/7/2023, 14:22

Try the movie (NATO Unclas)

The NATO Pipeline System (NPS) was set up during the Cold War to supply NATO forces with fuel and it continues to satisfy fuel requirements with the flexibility that today's security environment requires.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/topics_56600.htm

https://youtu.be/PUfhJLczo_M?t=15
Back to top Go down
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime8/7/2023, 20:33

Dear Pborn4.

Thank you for sending me the websites on the NATO pipeline system.
Very interesting but my search limits itself to MSRs for road transportation only.
I do know that many supplies were trucked into the Continent, in my case either through Dutch ports into Germany, or through Belgian seaports, by road through Belgium and Holland, into Germany
Any information in this respect , when available, shall be very much appreciated.

Frits.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime11/7/2023, 19:41

There was a series of 1:25,000 map sheets for each BR/UK Garrison  town/location
eg Bad Driburg with Pombsen shown.  These were printed black on white, with the
relevant Grid and with key locations over printed in purple line with annotations.  
On the basis that the average truck driver (mil or civvy or MSO) could find his way
from (for example) Eindhoven to Bielefeld via the Autobahn network the purple
overprints showed where in or near Bielefeld he was actually going - to drop a trailer,
get his pallets unloaded, connect his hose, pick-up MFO or deliver coal. (Coal brickets
after a few years, came from a contractor in the Ruhr).

Bread was baked in Germany, rations were bought in by supply depots and NAAFI
dragged in beer and Duty Free stocks.  There was a fast freight service involving direct
flights - Laarbruch, Wildenrath, Düsseldorf, Gütersloh, Hannover, Berlin for urgent re-supply of
certain stores, personnel, med supplies and mail/newspapers.

But, on reflection, many consignments loaded in UK, shipped to Antwerp, cross-loaded on to rail arrived in Germany where movements (RASC/RLC) had programmed reception
at a railhead to get the tanks/vehs/ammo/simmo/spares/bloody big boxes to where
they had to go.  Bet the Bundesbahn has noticed the dip in that revenue.

Exercise traffic didn't move over MSR as this tended to have tactical implications and armed guards.
Back to top Go down
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime12/7/2023, 18:44

Thank you very much indeed; very interesting.
Do you have any info about ROAD movements as carried out from the UK, through NL, B, (F?) into Germany while deploying for the excercise LIONHEART in 1984 ?
And is it correct that such movements were coordinated by the UK (Road-)Movement Control Centre in Grobbendonk/Belgium ?

Thanks beforehand for your attention.

Frits.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime13/7/2023, 08:36

Good morning Frits

Back in October 1976 I was detached from my unit in Rhine Area, with the task of reception NCO at Grobbendonk Camp for the movements of UK units taking part in Exercise Spearpoint in Germany, then the camp consisted of a cookhouse and a tent for the reception, the cookhouse was temporary and run by a WOI Catering Corps with Belgium civilian cooks, needed to receive signals on the C42 radio net from the RMP detachment in Zeebrugge, confirming packet number, number of personnel and vehicles, then I would advise a Belgium foreman so his team would ensure sufficient tents were ready with camp beds and the cookhouse informed, cannot remember exactly how long there but must have been 7-10 days, sorry no documentation or further details.

Best of luck with your project.

alan8376 and Fritsvantspijker like this post

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime13/7/2023, 14:39

Steve,

Thank you for reacting, as well as for the information, adding indeed a puzzle piece to the picture I am trying to complete. May I also conclude that the units passing for the exercise Spearpoint arrived on the Continent via the seaport of Zeebrugge ??

Best regards,
Frits.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime14/7/2023, 07:17

Frits

From memory yes Zeebrugge

Cheers
Steve

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime15/7/2023, 16:55

Alan,

Earlier you sent me pictures of your BAOR Roadmap.
Details are difficult for me to see; would it be possible for you to send me new photographs of detail parts as hereunder ?

Thank you beforehand,

Regards,
Frits.

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Baor_m11
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Baor_m10
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Baor_m10

Back to top Go down
Fritsvantspijker
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime15/7/2023, 16:58

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Baor_m12
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Baor_m13
Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Baor_m14
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime15/7/2023, 20:12

Frits,
I have sent you a Private Message with my email.

Maybe this way, you will receive a larger photo?

Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands    Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main Supply Routes BAOR through Belgium and the Netherlands
Page 1 of 1