BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 63 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 63 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details

Go down 
+10
Stitch.
brum
ciphers
Denis Watson
locating
geoffrey withers
Locator
Pip
Ian
Paul
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/3/2010, 17:33

Not sure what the flag depicts at the end of the marching column?

Judging by the colours, the flag looks to be a cross made up in REME colours. I did spot an Anchor! Could it represent an all round 'Maintenance Unit?'
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/3/2010, 06:04

brum wrote:
With respect Stephen and not wishing to be pedantic, I don't think the lad is wearing a replica of a Canadian battledress jacket. I'm sure one of our Scottish contributors can help with the tartan of his kilt, (Cameronians?) but I don't see the famous Canadian "Red Patch" on his sleeve.
All that said, it's a magical clip and one that can only increase my respect for the Canadians.

brum

Hmmmm...you're right...the Red Patch isn't there which of course it would have been had it been a battledress jacket...mind you, it could be, just with insignia removed. I know I wore my dad's old battle dress jacket when I was about 19 or so but he insisted I remove ALL insignia out of respect, so I did. to him, only a soldier had the right to wear insignia. Wearing a battle dress jacket...well,he wasn't real happy but since by then we had all converted to the Jolly Green Jumper uniforms, it wasn't like I was wearing an 'active uniform'.

I was wondering what the tartan might have been as well....I don't recognize it off hand as being anything "Canadian" but then I'm not as up on my tartans as I once was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/3/2010, 19:25

It's virtually impossible to discern the tartan worn in this clip other than it is a dark tartan. It's not, therefore, 'shortbread red'... Royal Stewart, which is a regimental pipers' tartan.

It's likely to be Black Watch (Government Tartan) which is dark green, dark blue and black. The Seaforths wore a similar tartan... Mackenzie, which is basically Black Watch with the addition of thin red and white stripe.

There was a Black Watch (The Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada in existence until about 1970. I think that an element may exist yet in the reserve forces.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/3/2010, 19:33

I kind of half thought it might be Black Watch tartan as well, but as you say the footage is not of good enough quality to discern colour details.

Nevertheless, it's a sweet clip. Little guys at that age are so neat.
Back to top Go down
Denis Watson
LCpl
LCpl
Denis Watson

Number of posts : 9
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Celle,Borneo.
Registration date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/3/2010, 21:21

Hi all you fine folk,I never thought one little video clip on my website would be of such interest.Though I have to agree its a lovely little moment in time caught on camera. Laughing
All the best,
Denis.
Back to top Go down
http://94regtra.multiply.com/
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/3/2010, 04:57

Speaking of lovely little moments, Denis....who is the cutie you use as your avatar??? An adorable little pup.... love the 'arched eyebrow' over his left eye :-)
Back to top Go down
Denis Watson
LCpl
LCpl
Denis Watson

Number of posts : 9
Places Served : Celle,Borneo.
Registration date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/3/2010, 18:06

Hi mate,
the little "cutie" I use as a avatar is my neices English bulldog who is a bit bigger now.When we play tug of war I lose.
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://94regtra.multiply.com/
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2010, 05:40

I thought he might have been an English bull....as slobbery as they are, I think they are really neat little guys. Sturdy and tough but friendly.

When we returned to Canada (I'd have been 17 or 18) and lived in MQs in Calgary, a young officer lived in the quarter next to ours and he had an English Bull. The dog would spot me across the green and coming charging over and -- Wham! -- get me right below the knees and send me hell west and crooked every time then proceed to straddle me and lick my face as I roared with laughter. Great little dogs...well, not "little" LOL
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2010, 17:01

Re "Calling all RA......"

Gentlemen,

Watching the Belgian lad taking the salute, I was surprised to see the Canadian throwing up what we Brits would call an "American" salute.

Seeing as most of the Commonwealth military still use the "British" type salute, when did the Canadians make the change ?

The French salute the same way as we do, so we can't blame Trudeau/De Gaulle for this one!

brum
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2010, 19:08

I actually noticed the salute...an odd salute, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what I found odd about it.

Now, it's been many years since I witnessed Canadian soldiers salute and it was not something I paid particular attention to. I mean, why would I? It was a common occurrence, "just" a salute. But as I recall, and this is taking a certain degree of concentration and "calling up" long buried images so the 'recall' may well be faulty but seems to me "our" salute was a right-hand, fingertips to the brim, palm out, forearm at right angles to the head type salute.

The one the Canadian soldier delivers is markedly different and brum may well be correct in that it is an "American" salute, not a "British/Commonwealth" salute.

Perhaps Hardrations or TonyE can speak to this more authoritatively than I.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2010, 21:24

From the information I have, the Canadian Army and Air Force adopted the Canadian Navy's salute upon unification of the Canadian Armed Forces back in 1968.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/3/2010, 22:07

Ah yes,That rings a bell. I remember something about the unification.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2010, 08:04

Personally, I prefer the Canadian/US style of saluting. Ours, well, I think it is a 'bit wooden' and unnatural to perform!

Alan
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2010, 16:22

Actually I have just changed my salute to the style the Canadians adopted in 1968 .. after residing here since 1966 I thought it about time .. I saw a photo that someone snapped of me on Canada Day last year, everyones salute except mine was 'palm down', mine of course was 'palm out' ...now the world can rest easy, I have finally conformed.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/3/2010, 23:30

I had to have a little practice to remember how we did it, it's been 32 years since I took off the green suit,but it's straight up and down with the palm down,there were a few mishaps at first with the palm being out and the quickly turned down,almost like making the screw loose barmy sign.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/3/2010, 05:13

When Len mentioned the "palm down" style others used on Canada Day (and as a quick aside...I detest "Canada Day" -- sounds like something Corporate dreamed up! I prefer the old "Dominion Day" but, of course, if I used that nobody would know what the hell I was on about!!), it rang an immediate bell....that was it, the salute my dad used and the salute I grew up with!

What I didn't know was post-unification the newly-minted "Canadian Armed Forces" adopting the former Canadian Navy salute. Now that must have stuck in the craw of the Air Force bunch!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/3/2010, 15:31

I was watching the closing ceremonies of the Vancouver Para-Olympics last night and noticed the Queen's Cowboys - (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) still use the 'palm out' salute ..

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 20:23

ciphers wrote:
Actually I have just changed my salute to the style the Canadians adopted in 1968 .. after residing here since 1966 I thought it about time .. I saw a photo that someone snapped of me on Canada Day last year, everyones salute except mine was 'palm down', mine of course was 'palm out' ...now the world can rest easy, I have finally conformed.

Len (Ciphers)

Same for me, Len. At the outset of the unification mess we had a sort of "dumb insolence" form of rebellion to the "pusser five". As has been pointed out, we would bring up the old army/air force salute, then as the hand reached the head, quickly turn the palm downwards. I guess it made us feel good, but really proved little, if anything. Like you, I'm better now and do it the regulation way, even though I dislike it.

At least the RCMP have stuck to their traditions, but they also still use what I believe was the very old British Army rank badges for Sargeant and S/Sgt: a crown over the 3 stripes for the former and 4 inverted stripes on the lower sleeve for the latter. A lot of unknowing service people would compliment an RCMP sargeant by addressing them as "Staff" while wondering if an RCMP staff sargeant may have been a drum major. That was in the days before unification when we had staff sargeants and colour sargeants, not warrant officers. But don't get me going on that.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 20:28

Paul wrote:
In searching for details to update/add to the main site, I have come across many references to "Locating Batteries".

Were these units "stand alone" or detached from main units.

Help, please, to sort this one out Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Confused

Paul.

Since I have helped get this thread off-topic, as a public service I will quote the original query that Paul initiated.

Cheers,

Rod (Recce83)
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/3/2010, 16:49

I've just been looking at a moth-eaten UN Cyprus newsletter (The Blue Beret), from 1969. There's the Van Doos trying out the new salute on a farewell parade.
In a '91 copy of same there is a mention of the "12e Regiment blinde du Canada". I've never heard of them, can someone translate please ?
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/3/2010, 20:02

Loose translation 12 Re-enforcement Regiment of Canada .. I think

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/3/2010, 20:21

Thanks Len,
Reinforcement, I wonder who they'd reinforce? A strange thing this unification !
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/3/2010, 21:09

ciphers wrote:
Loose translation 12 Re-enforcement Regiment of Canada .. I think

Len (Ciphers)

The 12th Armoured Regt. A Quebecois regiment affiliated with the Three Rivers Regt. According to their web site the regular force regiment is stationed at Valcartier Quebec and a reserve regiment in Trois Riviere.
Back to top Go down
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/3/2010, 21:58

I thought that 12 RBC meant just that ,armoured regiment,in my various books French tank regiments are called Regiment Blinde.
Getting back to the actonyms RBC means Rubber Boot Company.
Back to top Go down
locating
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Aldershot, Menden (mostly), Larkhill
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/5/2010, 07:42

Paul wrote:
In a reference for BAOR in 1951, 115 Battery is part of 2nd Inf Division, based in Dortmund. "Z" Battery is also part of 2nd Inf. 94 (Loc) Regiment (210 and 211 Batteries), coming under HQ BAOR rather than a particular Division or Brigade, is shown as being in Munsterlager moving to Hildesheim in 1955, being reduced to one Battery in May of that year.

A reference for 1956 shows 115 Battery as still being part of 2nd Inf, but location unknown. As for "Z" Battery, it looks as though they became part of 58 Medium Regiment R.A. in 1956 re-roling as a Medium Battery. 94 (Loc) Regiment (112 Battery) is shown as being in Celle, under HQ BAOR.
In 1957, 115 Battery seems to have disappeared
In 1958 115 Locating Battery was in Menden in spring when I joined it.
I am certain it was in Menden in at least part of 1957 although it never occurred to me to ask where it had been or how long. Equally I am certain that 115 was part of 2 Infantry Division.
Best wishes
"Locating" Apologies for incompetently putting this in the middle of your text. Feel free to remove it!!,
and "Z" Battery is still with 58 Medium Regiment in Menden. 94 (112 Battery) is in Celle, where the Regiment spent the reminder of its life, still under HQ BAOR.

In 1958, 94 is shown as being re-organised to contain 14, 73, 152, and 156 Locating Batteries, and came under 1 AGRA (Field) whose HQ was Hildesheim. "Z" Battery has disappeared from 58 Medium Regiment, fate not known at this time.

That is as far as I can find out at the moment, until I can get my hands on a certain book Smile

There is a photograph of 115 Battery, date unknown, here:-

http://www.servicepals.com/index.cfm/pcms/site.gallery.view_image/imageID/42337/

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details   Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2