BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)

Go down 
+31
bigmal
BigJock
exreboy
TDivers
BobG
recce83
arjeff
brum
JPW
bob
Max
AlienFTM
adt7030
alan8376
nobby clark
donald
Stephen Lock
Rocky
dandc
298HALL
Ian
malaboman
ciphers
wrinkles
chris877
Nobby
opssig
Paul
jim
soprano54
Wilf
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 20:48

recce83 wrote:
Does anyone remember those "Prehistoric Graves" signs that were planted in the ground in the Luneberg training area? It was great sport to pull them up and replant them outside the tents of NCOs/WOs/Officers.

Better still stick one on the back of a tank from SHQ Tp, especially when the OC was Maj John 'Digger' Graves! He saw the funny side of it, he's 2nd in from the LHS.

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 ASqnSHq
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 21:35

Now THAT is priceless!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/2/2011, 23:25

Nice one!!!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 07:48

[quote="soprano54"]
recce83 wrote:
Does anyone remember those "Prehistoric Graves" signs that were planted in the ground in the Luneberg training area? It was great sport to pull them up and replant them outside the tents of NCOs/WOs/Officers.

Better still stick one on the back of a tank from SHQ Tp, especially when the OC was Maj John 'Digger' Graves! He saw the funny side of it, he's 2nd in from the LHS.

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 ASqnSHq[/quote

That bloke, fourth from the left. Isn't he wearing Soviet headgear ?
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 08:49

No, not Soviet gear, rather NBC kit (Noddy Suits). The guy first on left has still got his trouser part on, you can tell by the canvas braces. The rest of the crew actually are still wearing there kit, except of course the Major. His trousers are far too tight for Noddy ones...

Anyone remember the first kits that were issued mid 60's? The charcoal impregnation used to run when it got wet. Talk about 'Black and White Minstrels.'
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 10:26

alan8376 wrote:
No, not Soviet gear, rather NBC kit (Noddy Suits). The guy first on left has still got his trouser part on, you can tell by the canvas braces. The rest of the crew actually are still wearing there kit, except of course the Major. His trousers are far too tight for Noddy ones...

Anyone remember the first kits that were issued mid 60's? The charcoal impregnation used to run when it got wet. Talk about 'Black and White Minstrels.'

Ah, the dreaded Noddy suit ! (It just looks like a Soviet tank crew helmet).

I remember when we were first issued with the Noddy suit, in its nice plastic packets, we were told "Dont unwrap 'em keep 'em with yer f...... gas mask".

When the panic call came during an exercise we found that the various garments had to be torn apart before we could get into them. It took ages.

Absolute cock up ! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 10:37

That bloke, fourth from the left. Isn't he wearing Soviet headgear ?[/quote]

Soprano,
do RTR Regts still recruit regionally ? I notice you're in the south west.

We took over from 3RTR in Cyprus (way back !), they were from your area and they called themselves "The Swedebashers".

I can't recall all of them but we used to call 4RTR "Fourth Jocks".
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 10:49

BobG wrote:
Jim the sheltered life at Bde and higher protected you from such delights.
Bob

Point!!
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/2/2011, 12:20

brum wrote:

Thats me and no I'm not! As others have said its the hood of my 'Noddy Suit', ISTR this was taken at ENDEX and the lads are in various states of undress. The OC is actually in a pair of 'Green Jeans' (Lightwieghts), as was SOP in those days we'd take our denims off as once you're in an NBC suit its very hard taking a dump if you're still wearing them. These days it doesn't matter as the tank suit has got a 'Crap Flap'!

brum wrote:
Soprano,

We took over from 3RTR in Cyprus (way back !), they were from your area and they called themselves "The Swedebashers".

We certainly do! The 1RTR recruit from the North West and Scotland and 2RTR from the South East & West. In the old days when we still had four regiments the 1st recruited from the NW, the 2nd from the SE & Home Counties, the 3rd from the SW and the 4th from Scotland. Hope that explains it and the 3rd were known as the 'Armoured Farmers'.

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Plate1
Back to top Go down
TDivers
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : Former Royal Engineer
Places Served : Munsterlager, Hohne, Sennelager, Nienburg, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/3/2011, 05:11

Nobby wrote:
Hi Guys
I would still like someone to explain to me how come all the Military equipment used to get bogged in but Wolfgang's Bratty van could travel where no other vehicle would dare to tread. lol!

Lol good old Wolfgang. You could tip up at your Bivvy area and wolfy would already be there He could get some places you wouldn't dram of taking vehicles. Then the other good thing was if you wanted to know your next bivvy area then just ask Wolfy.

I remember doing active edges and deploying from Munsterlager to Soltau you could always guarantee a chain of broken down Cents or Chiefies and the funny thing was they always seemed to brake down outside a schnellie or Guestie.

Those were the days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thailand-divers.com
exreboy
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : Sappers
Places Served : UK, BAOR, Aden, Bahrain
Registration date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Wolfgangs Bratty Van   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/5/2011, 18:26

Nobby wrote:
Hi Guys
I would still like someone to explain to me how come all the Military equipment used to get bogged in but Wolfgang's Bratty van could travel where no other vehicle would dare to tread. lol!

He was probably an ex German tankie!
Back to top Go down
exreboy
Private
Private

Cap Badge : Sappers
Places Served : UK, BAOR, Aden, Bahrain
Registration date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/5/2011, 18:30

soprano54 wrote:
brum wrote:

Thats me and no I'm not! As others have said its the hood of my 'Noddy Suit', ISTR this was taken at ENDEX and the lads are in various states of undress. The OC is actually in a pair of 'Green Jeans' (Lightwieghts), as was SOP in those days we'd take our denims off as once you're in an NBC suit its very hard taking a dump if you're still wearing them. These days it doesn't matter as the tank suit has got a 'Crap Flap'!

brum wrote:
Soprano,

We certainly do! The 1RTR recruit from the North West and Scotland and 2RTR from the South East & West. In the old days when we still had four regiments the 1st recruited from the NW, the 2nd from the SE & Home Counties, the 3rd from the SW and the 4th from Scotland. Hope that explains it and the 3rd were known as the 'Armoured Farmers'.

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Plate1

Thought it was only the Armoured Engineers (26 Sqn in Hohne in my time there 59-61) who were known as "Armoured Farmers"
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/6/2011, 08:57

always wondered how the NAAFI van new which leaguer area a tank unit would be using on any one day, or did they just drive round them all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/6/2011, 09:17

They were told in advance????
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/6/2011, 11:12

BigJock wrote:
always wondered how the NAAFI van new which leaguer area a tank unit would be using on any one day, or did they just drive round them all.

Welcome as the NAAFI waggon was, (God, those bread rolls were wonderful !), my vote goes to the Salvation Army.

I remember once, it must've been in the Soltau area, we'd just finished loading our tracks on to the flats in the pouring rain.

Up the line, visible through the mist & murk, was a single light burning. We got up to it to find a "Sally Basher" sitting there. This must've been 3 in the morning. You never found NAAFI out during unsocial hours.

Nowadays, I never pass a Salvation Army collecting tin without dropping a quid in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/6/2011, 12:32

Never saw any of those caterers while on exercise.They must have been kept for the real soldiers, lol!
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/6/2011, 13:38

exreboy wrote:
soprano54 wrote:
brum wrote:

brum wrote:
Soprano,

https://2img.net/h/i58.photobucket.com/albums/g266/andylynfisher58/plate1.jpg

Thought it was only the Armoured Engineers (26 Sqn in Hohne in my time there 59-61) who were known as "Armoured Farmers"

No sorry, they might have been but once the RAC sorted out their recruiting areas and 'The Third of Track' got the Sarf West the name sort of stuck.........amongst others! Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/4/2012, 16:56

Talking of Mercedes Mary, any one recall Layby Lil from Fally.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/4/2012, 17:05

Think we've done that one Mal, on another thread. Also Magdeburg Annie, I thought she was calling the Lotto Numbers. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pete26
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/4/2012, 18:10

We always used to ask Wolfgang or the other wagons including the 'sally bash' just when and what time our exercises finished.

They always knew.

They always knew exactly where we were too.

Cammed up and in the forests was no hindrance to the brocky wagon folk.
Back to top Go down
pete26
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/4/2012, 18:13

exreboy wrote:

I was 26 but never heard the name 'armoured farmers' used for 26 Ind Armd Engr Sqn till after I left them in 1976.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/5/2012, 16:27

When i was FRG in the late 70`s, on exercise, when we got a job call we used to look for the grey Buttie Van and follow him to find the `casualty`, as the driver always seemed to know where the tanks etc were hiding, made our job a lot easier.
And there was some scoff before we started.
Back to top Go down
Geordie Hussar
Private
Private
Geordie Hussar

Cap Badge : 15/19 Kings Royal Hussars and Light Dragoons
Places Served : Bovingdon, Fallingbostel, Omage, Tidworth, Paderborn, Bovingdon, Cyprus, Detmold, Hohne, Ctterick, Paderborn/Sennelager, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: SOLTAU BUCKET TRIP   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2012, 10:21

Guys, a few old and bold are taking a trip down memory lane to Soltau in June this year. I will post pictures on return.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2012, 10:25

Looking forward to seeing them Geordie..and welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
Geordie Hussar
Private
Private
Geordie Hussar

Cap Badge : 15/19 Kings Royal Hussars and Light Dragoons
Places Served : Bovingdon, Fallingbostel, Omage, Tidworth, Paderborn, Bovingdon, Cyprus, Detmold, Hohne, Ctterick, Paderborn/Sennelager, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Soltau Bucket Trip   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/5/2012, 10:43

Gordon. wrote:
Looking forward to seeing them Geordie..and welcome to the site.

A few of us are booked in at the Camp Reinsehlen hotel, should be fun, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)   Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soltau Luneburg Training Area (SLTA)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next