BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 80 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

national service

Go down 
+27
unclevanya
gingerjim
"john boy"
JPW
bigmal
ritter
Hardrations
Tom Withers
cartav
Mikey
ciphers
steve
briandcross
Themaadone
mjm34
Teabag
Stephen Lock
brum
jerry
Shelldrake
Tony Miller
burgess720
BobG
Dolmetscher
Paul
jim
Sandy
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

national service - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/8/2012, 16:02

And behold . . . his wish was granted ! Idea
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick,1 Corps Sig Regt Herford Baor 15
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/8/2012, 16:12

During my N/S I was only a Signalman, but some around me got promoted either by attending a NCO's course or getting 'made up in the field' I did my B2 and got my 'O' shoulder flash, I could have been made up in the field, as I ran the Field Kitchens when were out on exercises, but NO, but 5 weeks before my demob, my OC, told me I was to go on a NCO's course, I asked him how long the couse was, he replied two weeks, I asked how long after that do I get paid the extra for being a NCO, he replied 4 weeks, I told him I only had 5 week to do, he called me a B.....d and to get out of his office.

So why am I now being shown on my profile as a L/Cpl ???? and when do I get paid for the promotion ???

Tom Withers Signalman 1 Corps Signal Regt 55/56 confused
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/8/2012, 16:15

Don't get excited Tom, its an unpaid appointment.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/8/2012, 22:46

ciphers wrote:
Don't get excited Tom, its an unpaid appointment.

Len (Ciphers)

Also:
Unloved
Unwanted
Unappreciated
Underpaid
AND OVER WORKED! Crying or Very sad

PS: Welcome Tom. Don't expect any of the inmates to share their meds. or booze with you.
Back to top Go down
ritter
Maj
Maj
ritter

Number of posts : 265
Cap Badge : Royal Canadian Artillery
Places Served : CFB Valcartier, CFB Borden, AFVR Meaford, Ipperwash, CAN; Hannover, Putlos; 21 Fd Regt RCA(M)
Registration date : 2011-07-09

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 04:40

Hi Tom,
Welcome to the forum.
Promotions shown in the forum are related exclusively to the number of posts one makes to
the forum.
Took me a long time to figure that out as well.
What is taking me considerably longer is to try to understand the British barrack room
jargon used in these forums.
For example, the term "squadie " appears regularly; I think it's a derogatory term.
I asked my daughter-in-law, who served in the Canadian Army, what she thought it meant.
She fancies herself as a bit of a military linguist as her father served in the RN in WW2
She said, that's easy; it's derived from the verb to squat; ergo an adult who is still not toilet
trained. Where I live in Huron County, Ont, frequently referred to as urine County as it's
largely agricultural, we have a far better synonym, "a useless tit".
Ritter
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 04:56

Definition of squaddie
noun (plural squaddies)British informal
a private soldier.

There are many other definitions Bob, but really not good to post

When I was in:
Infantry: Grunt (USA) Groundpounder (Cdn)
Special forces : Snake Eater
RCAF: Blue Jobs
RCN: Hairy Bags

I imagine with the Canadian Army being Americanized that they tend to go towards their silliness. I just hope that the Cdn Army doesn't go as far as wearing white laces in their boots on parade as the Yanks do. Mind the RCAF Police in 68 in Lahr were wearing white laces in their boots and armed with .32 cal pistols. They really didn't know what to make of us ruffians from the SSM Bty and our remarks on their dress and weapons when we passed through on adventure training. I noticed that things changed after the Bde was posted down to Lahr/Baden. Must have been the example set by our Meat Heads (MP's) with their military bearing and out look.

Last edited by Hardrations on 1/9/2012, 05:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 04:57

Its generally accepted that the word for a British Soldier, Squaddie is derived from the word Swaddy, the name given by the British to locally enlisted Indians into the Indian (British) Army during Queen Victoria's day. Being called a Squaddie is not a derogatory term just the accepted name adopted to describe a Soldier.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 09:00

I always thought that the term `squaddie` came from the fact that soldiers formed up in squads, therefore being part of a squad makes you a squaddie.

In the same way a member of the Navy can be called a `Swabbie` from the fact that sailors have to Swab the decks.

There must be lots of different ways of forming an answer to this but which one is true.

Tom, the more you post the higher the rank.

Just shows that occifers have more mouth than trousers, i suppose..
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 09:27

ciphers wrote:
Its generally accepted that the word for a British Soldier, Squaddie is derived from the word Swaddy, the name given by the British to locally enlisted Indians into the Indian (British) Army during Queen Victoria's day. Being called a Squaddie is not a derogatory term just the accepted name adopted to describe a Soldier.

Len (Ciphers)

I'm in full agreement with Len's answer.

In addition,"Squaddie" never was a derogatory term, any more than the Yank's "Doughboy" or "G I".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 09:58

Squaddie - a soldier. Commonly used mis-spelling of the word 'swaddy'. This derived from the days of the army in India when swaddies were irregular Indian troops used as 'cannon-fodder' and for fatigues.

It was also used by the British soldiers of themselves to indicate that they were being treated like swaddies, and this spelling and usage survived at least up until the Second World War in army circles (of the line from Hamish Henderson's famous song from the Sicily campaign Poor bloody swaddies are weary). This wasn't understood outside the military and was often mis-spelt 'squaddie', particularly in newspapers.

Found on arrse
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 11:25

MY NEW BOYFRIENDS !!!

I am seeing 5 gentlemen (give or take) every day!.

As soon as I wake up, Will Power helps me get out of bed.

Then I go to see John.

Then Arthur Ritis shows up & stays the rest of the day.
He doesn't like to stay in one place very long so he takes me from joint to joint.

After such a busy day, I'm really tired & very glad to go to bed with Earl Grey.

What a life!
Oh, yes, I'm also flirting with Al Zymer;
or whatever his name is. I forget !

and I'm thinking of calling JACK DANIELS, Captain Morgan or JOHNNY WALKER to come over and keep me company.

Now remember:

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the closer it gets to the end,
the faster it goes.
So have fun, think 'good thoughts' only,
learn to laugh at yourself, and 'count your blessings!!!

Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 11:32

I thought about this one recently, when I had a Pacemaker fitted.
Tom Withers

Cardiologist and Motorcycle Mechanic

A motorcycle mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a BMW M3 when he spotted a well-known cardiologist in his shop.

The cardiologist was there waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his car when the mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey Doc, want to take a look at this?" The cardiologist, a bit surprised walked over to where the mechanic was working on the motorcycle.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I opened its heart, took the valves out, repaired or replaced anything damaged, and then put everything back in, and when I finished, it worked just like new. So how is that I make $24,000 a year and you make $1.7M when you and I are doing basically the same work?"

The cardiologist paused, leaned over, and then whispered to the mechanic.....

"Try doing it with the engine running"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 11:37

I have a lot more of these, but this will do for now.

Tom Withers

During the recent royal wedding, the millions around the world saw that Prince William chose to wear a uniform that included the famous British "red coat."

Many people have asked, "Why did the British wear red coats in battle?"

A long time ago, Britain and France were at war. During one battle, the French captured a British Colonel. They took him to their headquarters, and the French General began to question him. Finally, as an afterthought, the French General asked, "Why do you British officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at?"

In his casual, matter-of-fact, way, the officer informed the General that the reason British officers wear red coats is so that if they are wounded, the blood won't show, and the men they are leading won't panic.

And that is why, from that day forward, all French Army officers wear brown trousers.

Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 11:39

I am now a Cpl, in the REME, can I please be a Cpl in the Royal Signals. ??

Tom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 12:04

No
Back to top Go down
ritter
Maj
Maj
ritter

Number of posts : 265
Cap Badge : Royal Canadian Artillery
Places Served : CFB Valcartier, CFB Borden, AFVR Meaford, Ipperwash, CAN; Hannover, Putlos; 21 Fd Regt RCA(M)
Registration date : 2011-07-09

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 22:00

BAOR(27CIB)
Attention: Hardrations
Ciphers
Bigmal
brum
Gordon
etal
Thank you all for your definitions and explanations for the term"squaddie". I appreciate your responses and sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone.
ritter
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 22:12

I can't speak for the others mentioned, but I am totally pissed !!!! .... then again a six pack of Molsons generally has that effect on me ... lol

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/9/2012, 22:30

Quote :
BAOR(27CIB)
Ciphers
Bigmal
brum
Gordon
etal
Thank you all for your definitions and explanations for the term"squaddie". I appreciate your responses and sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone.
ritter

Your mess bill should give you an indication....

Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/9/2012, 12:03

My thanks too, my father was born in India (the soon of a serving soldier) and returned there in the mid 30s (he reconned it was probably one of the best tours he had during his entire 30 plus years of service)

He often used the word swaddie as a term of pride/endearment , nowadays the word squaddie appears to be more often used as a word of contempt such as "bloody squaddies" or on a local pub noticeboard a few years back "squaddies banned from this establishment"

Bob R you are coming dangerously close to being awarded an honourary commission , watch your mess bills rise astronomically thanks to the alcoholic tendencies of our General Staff
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/9/2012, 15:29

ritter wrote:
BAOR(27CIB)
Ciphers
Bigmal
brum
Gordon
etal
ritter

Take more than that to upset a thick skinned old fart like me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
national service - Page 3 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 17:27

bigmal wrote:
ritter wrote:
BAOR(27CIB)
Ciphers
Bigmal
brum
Gordon
etal
ritter

Take more than that to upset a thick skinned old fart like me. Very Happy

national service - Page 3 Old%252Bfart

Welcome Tom yep just a bunch of old tarts we are think maybe I'm just the mini tart being as me is the youngest and OHHHHH I lovv that STELLA ARTTWAHHHH hey ho happy days lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/9/2012, 08:46

John Boy It is nice to have contact with a ACC member, I have been trying for along time to find out how the ACC made the nice thick Chocolate Drink we had in the very cold weather when we were out on winter exercises, can you please give me the recipe ??

Tom Withers Field Kitchen Cook BAOR15 Royal Signals
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/9/2012, 14:20

I have a memory of a incident involving a member of the ACC.

I arrived in Maresfield Bks in the late afternoon 6th January 1955, after getting our kit into our room, we went to the cookhouse for our evening meal, on the next morning, my very first breakfast in 1 Corps, two ACC chaps were carrying a urn of hot tea to the serving counter, when one of them slipped and the urn spilt most of the hot tea onto one of the chaps lower body and legs, he was taken to hopital, and we did not hear any more about the incident, in July 1956, about three days before I left 1 Corps for demob, we heard that the ACC chap involved in that incident was to return to duty the next morning, you can guess the noise of the loud cheer we all gave hime when he came into the dinning room, 18 month in hospital and recovery, it was nice to see him back with us.

Tom Withers 1 Corps
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/9/2012, 14:35

Mr Brian Davison RAOC, has written a book, entitled 'National Service Exploits' in which ex National Servicemen have written about some of their exploits while serving their National Service, he is intending to write a second edition, if any ex N/S Royal Signals or other regiment personnel would like to contribute, as, like me, I am sure that they will have a 'tale to tell', if they do will they please contact Brian at this e-mail address, with around 750 words, which ideally would incorporate two or three tales if possible. bhdavison@Hotmail.co.UK

Tom Withers 1 Corps Signal Regt BAOR 15 1955/56
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/9/2012, 21:08

Tom Withers wrote:
I have a memory of a incident involving a member of the ACC.

I arrived in Maresfield Bks in the late afternoon 6th January 1955, after getting our kit into our room, we went to the cookhouse for our evening meal, on the next morning, my very first breakfast in 1 Corps, two ACC chaps were carrying a urn of hot tea to the serving counter, when one of them slipped and the urn spilt most of the hot tea onto one of the chaps lower body and legs, he was taken to hopital, and we did not hear any more about the incident, in July 1956, about three days before I left 1 Corps for demob, we heard that the ACC chap involved in that incident was to return to duty the next morning, you can guess the noise of the loud cheer we all gave hime when he came into the dinning room, 18 month in hospital and recovery, it was nice to see him back with us.

Tom Withers 1 Corps

Nice to see you climbing the promotion ladder Tom !
Question 1.
Are you talking about the Maresfield Bks, BAOR or the Maresfield camp near Uckfield, Sussex ?
Question 2.
What were the Banjo Jockeys doing, carrying a tea urn ? That's Gunners work !
Observation.
Such an incident would not have resulted in the aforesaid injuries in any regiment I served with - the tea was always bleedin' cold !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: national service   national service - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

national service
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next