BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Imphal Barracks

Go down 
+3
dazzer1578
aghart
DavidHenley
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidHenley
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : 1RTR, RAOC
Places Served : BAOR (4 times), UK, NI, UN Cyprus (twice)
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime22/10/2007, 13:41

Someone, somewhere mentioned that they thought Imphal bks were built just after the war. I would contest that statement as when I was there in 1972 there was some kind of accommodation below the main square which had (apparently) been either an underground hospital or ammo dump. The buildings were possibly built after the war but I think the site had been an army barracks during the war hence the underground hospital/ammo bunker.

Can anyone confirm this?
Back to top Go down
aghart
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 21
Cap Badge : 1st Royal Tank Regiment/MPSC
Places Served : Osnabruck, Omagh, Tidworth, Cyprus, Herford, Bovington, Hildesheim, Colchester.
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime1/12/2007, 09:22

Well it's finally happened. Imphal barracks has closed, QDG have gone to Sennelager and the barracks are empty.
Back to top Go down
IO

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime21/1/2008, 14:02

as they say at the Panto "Oh no it hasn't". Imphal will finally close in 2009. There was a surface ammo factory on part of the site during the war and some simple airraid sheklters underground.
Back to top Go down
dazzer1578
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Cap Badge : RAVC(V)
Places Served : Senne, Munster civi.
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime8/5/2008, 20:09

When I worked there in late 1990s the rumour was still going strong that there is a underground field hospital under parade square .Quess we will find out when germans dig up Barracks next year
Back to top Go down
SoltaumuddySoltau
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : R.A.C.
Places Served : Catterick, Bovington, Osnabruck, N.I.
Registration date : 2012-11-27

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime27/11/2012, 17:15

I spent some time based in Imphal in the 70s and 80s and find it so sad that I never returned before the Osnabruck ended as a British forces garrison.
I am sure it was also the largest Garrison the British Army had and that included Aldershot.
I have hinted to my wife on the odd occasion to visit Osnabruck via Air Berlin from Manchester to Paderborn, but with little success. I have not given up hope and hopefully one day I can return if only for a day, to remember all those years ago based at Imphal Kasern and put some ghosts to rest.
Back to top Go down
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime28/11/2012, 12:54

I was there 1960-62 ish, plenty of locals working there who had known the site since before the war. A number of us asked if it was used then and were told that there was nothing permanent, all the main barracks were in the town area (well covered elsewhere on this site). Our ( Armd Regt) ammo store was in bunkers behind the main cookhouse in some trees by the outside fence as it went up the hill towards the Infantry Regt. then 12 Inf Wksp REME.

This is on the right of the aerial photo also somewhere on this site and also I believe on googlemaps.
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime29/11/2012, 21:32

SoltaumuddySoltau wrote:
I spent some time based in Imphal in the 70s and 80s and find it so sad that I never returned before the Osnabruck ended as a British forces garrison.
I am sure it was also the largest Garrison the British Army had and that included Aldershot.
I have hinted to my wife on the odd occasion to visit Osnabruck via Air Berlin from Manchester to Paderborn, but with little success. I have not given up hope and hopefully one day I can return if only for a day, to remember all those years ago based at Imphal Kasern and put some ghosts to rest.

It'll break your heart to see whats become of BAOR. I went back in 2007 to visit places I'd been posted to . It was bleak , the wife got really upset at the state of the MQ Estates. We're going back next year , but we know what to expect now.
Back to top Go down
SoltaumuddySoltau
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : R.A.C.
Places Served : Catterick, Bovington, Osnabruck, N.I.
Registration date : 2012-11-27

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime30/11/2012, 10:27

bob wrote:
SoltaumuddySoltau wrote:

It'll break your heart to see whats become of BAOR. I went back in 2007 to visit places I'd been posted to . It was bleak , the wife got really upset at the state of the MQ Estates. We're going back next year , but we know what to expect now.

Bob, I was going to visit Germany in 2009 with my wife and youngest son but serious problems with my Thyroid set me back for a couple of years. As I posted earlier I am still trying to convince my wife to come with me to Osnabruck, though I'll admit it is disheartening to read your experiences from your visit in 2007. A couple of years ago I worked for an ex-reme reccemec, Peter Walsh, a superb boss and a good all-round bloke, as he was a bit of a rum-bugger when he was younger in the eighties when we were stationed at Imphal Barracks. He's still fit as a butcher's dog. While I was working for him we spoke about Osnabruck etc., but it seems a long, long time ago now and I still long for those days. I don't think I really fully adapted to civilian life even after all these years; a weakness maybe but it meant that much to me.
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime30/11/2012, 21:51

Malaboman. You were probably at Imphal when I was there, 1962-63. I was in the pay office, and the paymaster was Major John Crosse. I well remember the the ammo huts in the wooded area. I also remember overpaying a REME staff-sergeant when he went on leave, and, after he came back, he was on short pay for quite some time. Never did forgive me. I think his nick name was Dolly something or other. Happy days!
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Sponsored content

Imphal Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imphal Barracks   Imphal Barracks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Imphal Barracks
Page 1 of 1