BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» RN Shore Establishments
Yesterday at 23:28 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Yesterday at 23:18 by Pborn4

» Estetal-Naval Kaserne and the Town of Buxtehude
Yesterday at 22:54 by Pborn4

» Queens School Rheindalen and the Profumo Affair
Yesterday at 10:40 by steve_graham

» CAOF 1945
Yesterday at 02:19 by Pborn4

» MONTY'S TURN MINDEN
15/8/2017, 15:52 by Pborn4

» BMH Re-visited
15/8/2017, 08:52 by Pborn4

» Kiel Nostalgia 1 Buildings and 2 BMD . Baptism Records!
14/8/2017, 16:49 by alan8376

» AMTC Silberhutte
9/8/2017, 00:41 by Dave-the-rave

» 6 Airmobile Brigade
9/8/2017, 00:27 by Dave-the-rave

» US of A Rhine to Elbe 1945 Thunderbolts
8/8/2017, 00:19 by Pborn4

» NL WW2 Map Cpverage 1:25,000 AMS 831
7/8/2017, 23:52 by Pborn4

» Brixton Camp to be demolished!
1/8/2017, 16:11 by steve_graham

» Norwegians in Flensburg - Hereford Barracks
31/7/2017, 17:28 by JPW

» Maltese contingent on the Ruhr
30/7/2017, 19:46 by steve

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Lubbecke Houses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 92
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Bielefeld
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Lubbecke Houses   26/10/2007, 12:34

Can someone please help me?

I've never been to Lubbecke, even though my favourite beer comes from there; Barre Brau - dein Herz erfreu!

Anyhow, I'm somewhat confused over Church House, Tax House and Cross Keys House.

Can someone please tell me a bit about each?

Much appreciated,

Phil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bfg-locations.editboard.com
allanj
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Places Served : Osnabruck, SEME, Hong Kong, Hohne
Registration date : 2007-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   27/10/2007, 00:29

Church House in Lubbecke was built just before WWII and used as a Hitler Youth training centre.

There is mention of a Gauleiter's School or "training course castle" in German language documents. The documents go on to say the School later became a British officers Mess and I have researched that at the end of WWII the building now known as Church House was initially used by Monty as his HQ. In 1958 it became the Officers’ Mess of HQ 2nd Armoured Division and later was used by the Royal Army Chaplains’ Department.

The Gauleiter or Gau was the local representative of the Nazi Party and documents state that towards the end of WWII the Gau in Lubbecke was called Meyer and this is probably Alfred Meyer who was awarded 2 Iron Crosses in WWI and was later became a senior member of the Nazi Party with major influence and implicated in the murder of Jews and organising slave labour and drawing up the Final solution to deal with "The Jewish Question". It is ironic that his HQ and Nazi Training School became Church House and the base for The Royal Army Chaplains’ Department.

Meyer killed himself in April 1945 by the banks of The River Weser

Hope this is of interest
Allan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allanj
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   27/10/2007, 00:50

Tax House used to be the Tax Office (Steueramt) for Lubbecke and stood on the then Hermann Goering Road. Following the end of the war it became the head office of the local British Zone Administration. and the English Translation from Steueramt became Tax House as every one including locals new it by it's English name.
I will do a bit more research as time allows
Allan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allanj
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   27/10/2007, 10:20

2 Div. HQ was in Lubbecke and I was wondering if there is a conection in the Town of Lubbecke and 2 Div having Cross Keys in their crests. I assume Lubbecke's dates from the 16 or 1700's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bexy
Cpl
Cpl

Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick, Lippstadt, Herford and lots in between
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   8/11/2007, 21:14

Interesting fact number 1.

Whilst talking to a GWA workman recently, he informed me that HJ (Hitler Jugend) can still be seen inside the building near the kitchen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   10/12/2007, 12:31

I got married at Church House in 1990. The special thing is that it was a jewish wedding, the only one there to my knowledge. The wedding was performed by Malcolm Wiseman - jewish chaolain to HM Forces. And yes, above the kitchen door outside, there is a sign for the Hitler Jugend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GEM
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 11
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Delmenhorst, Oldenburg,Hilden Lubbecke,Hildesheim Sennelager
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   12/1/2008, 17:22

The Crossed Keys emblem of 2 Div and Lubbecke town are coincidenal. 2 Div wore the crossed keys during the 1939/45 war.

In 1959 Tax House caught fire, the roof was badly damaged but the remainder of the building did not fare too badly. I have a lovely photo of the roof in flames and a snowman sitting proudly in the foreground! An exciting event with fire engines from several nearby towns and crowds (it was a Sunday) watching as we evacuated the classified files and other equipment on to trucks to be ferried to Tunis Barracks.
Thr photographs of the TAX House fire are now posted on the Lubbecke - Locations site.

Last edited by on 20/1/2008, 12:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wigglyamp
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   20/1/2008, 06:09

There is actually a memorial type thing at the bottom of Lubbecke town.

Not sure what the history of it is but its a 3' or 4' cube of granite with crossed keys on the top of it. Anyway, found this -

Lübbecke got city rights in 1279 by bishop Volkwin van Schwalenberg, bishop of Minden. The arms are a combination of the star taken from the arms of Schwalenberg and the crossed keys of St.Peter, the patron saint of the diocese of Minden. The oldest seals showed a bishop sitting on a throne under an arch. Above the arch the star was placed. Later seals, in the 14th century, show only the keys with the star. Initially the star was placed in a separate shield. In the 16th century the arms got the colours silver and red and the shield around the star was removed. The arms were first officially granted in 1909.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nivets.org.uk
Digger

PostSubject: YMCA Lübbecke 1955   5/3/2008, 18:13

Does anyone know the name of the street where the YMCA was located?
Back to top Go down
Peter Kroos
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   3/3/2011, 16:31

Hello everybody,
does anyone know "Schloss Benkhausen", about four miles northwest from Lübbecke?
Thank you very much for any information.
Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kroosundschlemper.de
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   16/4/2011, 19:42

i was sent on a church course to lubbecke in 1958, the worst two weeks of my army service , the csm was looking for a bod to send on the course and the rotter sent me , it was a catholic sort of retreat place , in a very old or ancient castle , very much like the castle dracular in the films . i do believe it was used by the teutonic knights , it was a dreary place with all the prayers you could imagine . the food was great though with ample supplies of beer at mealtimes , but the blinking chaplains were a pain , religion ,religion , and more religion , they even pulled up the drawbridge over the moat to stop us going out at nights , but we beat them , we had several sappers with us and they built the most amazing raft . things went well until we were spotted by the chaplains clerk . an orrible little smarmy lancejack , he reported us and stopped our little game , funny enough every one there outranked him , but it was an evil place , and the british army should never have made us go on these church courses , do any of you gents remember the castle , ginger .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ws1
LCpl
LCpl

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   20/11/2012, 13:33

My mother was in the ATS during WW2 and was posted to Lubbecke Germany in 1945. I think her job was to help run the officers mess. She met my father at one of the dances who was in the Royal Norfolks. They married in 1947 after being demobbed. If you want to see some photographs of the time take a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27913545@N06/
She told me that a lot of the local Germans were close to starving so they turned a blind eye when the German assistants took food home.

I am hoping to visit Germany next year a try to find some of the locations. Any info would be greatly received.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1028
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   20/11/2012, 14:03

Welcome

I am sure members of this site will be delighted to help out with suggestions for an itinerary I think the subject has been raised before and we established your father could have served in the Minden, Schloss Neuhaus and possibley the Neumunster areas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ws1
LCpl
LCpl

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   20/11/2012, 14:20

JPW
Yes it has but there is still plenty of the jigsaw to fill in! Thanks to your groups help I have built up a pretty good picture. I have even found a nice B&B to stay in Lubbecke
http://www.bedandbreakfast-the-rose.de/40649.html
I have yet to receive my mums war record to get a handle on her German tour of duty.

Cheers
Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubbecke Houses   

Back to top Go down

Lubbecke Houses
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1