BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Service records Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Service records Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Service records Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Service records Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Service records Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Service records Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Service records Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Service records Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Service records Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Service records Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Service records Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Service records Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Service records Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Service records Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Service records Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 50 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 50 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Service records

Go down 
+15
Stephen Lock
brum
spud-nick
dandc
TonyE
mjm34
jim
Mike_2817
brian beckett
davwood
oldtimer
Johnwalker
Hardrations
ciphers
steve
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime19/2/2010, 09:37

Not strictley BAOR and will be removed if required. Paul?

Have any of you applied for your service records?.If so what problems,if any,did you encounter?

Last edited by Gordon. on 19/2/2010, 19:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime19/2/2010, 10:46

Gordon. wrote:
Not strictley BAOR and will be removed if required.

Have any of you applied for your service records?.If so what problems,if any,did you encounter?

Hi Gordon, takes a long time and in my case several things were removed/not present but in my opinion worth it to reminded you of where you were and what they thought of you, regards Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime19/2/2010, 18:23

I received mine without a problem and fairly fast about two weeks .. everything seemed OK, but on my Regimental Conduct Sheet there was an entry of a Severe Reprimand being awarded for contravening the Official Secrets Act and by compromising Cryptographic integrity of a message. It was awarded in October 1954 while I was stationed at Seaforth Camp, Pusan, Korea ... I contacted Army Records and pointed out that in October 1954 I was not stationed in Pusan but in Seoul, and during the time I was supposed to have been a bad boy, I was attached to the Australian Base Signal Regt in Kure, Japan. They (Records) finally agreed that I was not where they stated and I was correct in stating 'not me guv'nor) but after such a long period of time it would not be possible to change my records, but a notation would be attached to them for future reference. Know anyone who wants a 77 year old Cipher Operator. The funny thing is my next posting after Korea was Cyprus where I was in a very security sensitive job working with Maj Jack Knowles GSO II (Security) MELF, and personally handled hundreds of Sacred and Top Sacred messages during my stint there.

(Now my other Severe Rep for telling the Guard Commander to 'go forth and multiply himself' ... well I ain't disputing that.)

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime19/2/2010, 19:40

ciphers wrote:

(Now my other Severe Rep for telling the Guard Commander to 'go forth and multiply himself' ... well I ain't disputing that.)

Len (Ciphers)

My question is, " Did he?". Service records Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime19/2/2010, 23:16

The bugger was the Sqn Clerk and I noticed he wasn't on the Duty Roster .. so being a SOB I made sure he was put on it ... Hey!, what goes around, comes around .. on his first shot at Guard Commander he got his own back ... in that I, blah, blah, blah, whilst on Active Duty did use profane language to the Corporal of the Guard.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 98
Cap Badge : OX2 9BU
Places Served : B.A.O.R. Uk. Aden. Libya. +
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime21/2/2010, 17:38

Sent for mine(some two years ago) no probs arrived about three weeks later.However they came buy normal post.Bit of a shock really As lets face it they are very perssonell and could lead to so probs in the wrong hands!!!.Made interesting reading as I had forgot most of what it told me!!!!!!!!!!
Regards to all looking in.
John.
Back to top Go down

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 12:18

Received mine this morning by recorded delivery.Took almost five months but worth the wait..
Had a quick skim through,looks very interesting,but can`t find my crime sheet,I must have been a good boy..lol
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 14:14

something i had never thought of looking through my discharge book it gives all the places i have served and any qualifications obtained but yes it would be intresting to see not only what people thought of me but my crime sheet would make intresting reading i expect it might tell me why i was busted and how when i went awol once they found me so quick?

am i right in thinking to apply for them at manning records ?

paul.
Back to top Go down
davwood
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 27
Cap Badge : RCT/RMP
Places Served : Taunton. Hameln, Herford, Werl, NI, Berlin, Helmstedt, London, Rhodesia.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime10/7/2010, 17:20

Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 11:42

many thanks davwood for the link,

paul.
Back to top Go down
davwood
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 27
Cap Badge : RCT/RMP
Places Served : Taunton. Hameln, Herford, Werl, NI, Berlin, Helmstedt, London, Rhodesia.
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 15:49

You are welcome. I keep meaning to send off for mine. i'll get round to it one day
Back to top Go down
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 55
Cap Badge : rasc
Places Served : Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 17:02

They don't keep everything. A lot of stuff gets weeded out over the years. When I got my records a couple of years ago the attestation form was missing. I queried but they had not go it. I also wanted my AB64Pt1 but without success.

Strangely, I got more joy when requesting my wife's grandfather's documents who served in both world wars. But he was an officer.

Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 19:51

Was not the Soldier's Service Record and Pay Book (A.B. 64) Part 1 & 2 not given to you on discharge and transfer to the reserves? It was the pre-runner to the AB 108 Discharge Book (Red Book)

I think its down to Unit Orderly Rooms what gets kept really, once the records reach Glasgow they stay pretty much intact.

I have copies of my Attestation Paper (AFB 271) Personal Summary (F/Ident/177) Official Secrets Act Declaration (AFA 5120) copy of AB 108 Discharge Certificate (Page 2 & 3) and other docs including my Medical Papers, and Positive Vetting Report, as well as my last 6 CR's

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 23:45

I have everything you have apart from my PV report,but i got that at Harrogate and don`t have any records from there apart from attestation and original medicals.Only CRs are the last one from each unit.I also have a couple of injury reports. One for cracked ribs and another for a slipped disc.Never seen either of them before.I also signed the official secrets act on demob and lost my PV.Rather crazy as i signed the OSA every working day when i was at the school.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 10:18

I keep meaning to apply for mine but haven't got around to it, another retirement project I suspect. Smile My little red book is flattering though.
Back to top Go down
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 55
Cap Badge : rasc
Places Served : Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 10:54

Mike_2817 wrote:
Was not the Soldier's Service Record and Pay Book (A.B. 64) Part 1 & 2 not given to you on discharge and transfer to the reserves? It was the pre-runner to the AB 108 Discharge Book (Red Book)

I think its down to Unit Orderly Rooms what gets kept really, once the records reach Glasgow they stay pretty much intact.

I have copies of my Attestation Paper (AFB 271) Personal Summary (F/Ident/177) Official Secrets Act Declaration (AFA 5120) copy of AB 108 Discharge Certificate (Page 2 & 3) and other docs including my Medical Papers, and Positive Vetting Report, as well as my last 6 CR's

I was demobbed in 1959,National Service, and my discharge book is AB111. I was in a very small unit and actually did my own demob admin. All my documents were required to be sent, then, to the RASC records in Hastings. Before it became a right that one could obtain copies of documents I had been in touch with army records. I still have their letter stating that a lot of items had been weeded out and the things I was asking about were no longer held anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 13:16

Hi Brian, Thank for the feedback.

I forgot to add that the main document in my file was a copy of AFB 200 (ADP) [computer printout] Soldiers Record of Service, which lists all my promotion dates, courses attended and posting dates etc, this replaced a lot of earler bits & pieces of paper I am sure.

Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 18:56

Mike_2817 wrote:

All I got when I left was a red plastic folder which contained some very basic information. Mainly that that I had served, that I had been discharged and that my conduct had been "exemplary". Strange that last bit as my conduct would have disqualified me from getting the LS&GC if I'd hung around another 3 years.

No medical stuff and nothing about PV, which I had kind of assumed lapsed when I was discharged. I think that everyone was paid directly into a bank account by then so I'm not sure if pay books still existed at all.

Must have a dig around in the loft and see if I can find it.

Mike
Back to top Go down
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 23:26

I finished my National Service in March 52,then went onto Supplementary Reserve,joined the RCASC in Jan 54.In December 55 I was in Korea and our Postal clerk came in late from the AFPO in Ouijongbu and told me there was a registered letter for me to pick up next morning but couuld't tell me who it was from.After a night of wondering what trouble I was in I went down next morning and picked up my discharge book from RASC Records Office.On the back page was the usual BS about being a good soldier etc,signed by Major Chase,not long after reciving the discharge I was at Kimpo Air Base waiting for the comm flight from Japan when I saw a British major coming down the road, the one and only Maj Chase, and he remembered me by name, maybe that was because in my discharge interview he offed me a second stripe if I signed on and I told him I wouldn,t even join The Salvation Army after getting out
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime13/7/2010, 12:56

mjm34 wrote:
All I got when I left was a red plastic folder which contained some very basic information. Mainly that that I had served, that I had been discharged and that my conduct had been "exemplary". Strange that last bit as my conduct would have disqualified me from getting the LS&GC if I'd hung around another 3 years.

No medical stuff and nothing about PV, which I had kind of assumed lapsed when I was discharged. I think that everyone was paid directly into a bank account by then so I'm not sure if pay books still existed at all.

Must have a dig around in the loft and see if I can find it.

Mike

That would be your AB108 Discharge Book/Folder mate, you do not get the contents of your Personal File or Med File unless you apply for them.

Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime13/7/2010, 18:30

Mike_2817 wrote:
That would be your AB108 Discharge Book/Folder mate, you do not get the contents of your Personal File or Med File unless you apply for them.

Yep! Never bothered to apply for my own Service Record although I did some years ago apply for and receive my Dad's. Strange thing was that I had to get written permission from his 2nd wife who is not my Mother before the Records Office would release them to me. Apparently I am not classed as his next of kin. Shocked

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime13/7/2010, 22:00

Yep, A legel 2nd marrage does that! but not a partnership.

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime14/7/2010, 09:19

So how does a 2nd marriage stop a son being next of kin? unless of course he'd designated his 2nd wife as next of kin thinking about it. I thought there were stages, i.e Colleen was my next of kin, but if we both died it my Father etc...
Back to top Go down

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime14/7/2010, 09:53

A spouse takes precedence unless someone else is nominated..Then it goes eldest son etc. etc.

Last edited by Gordon. on 15/7/2010, 10:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime14/7/2010, 15:55

at least when my time comes [in about 40 yrs] thier will be nothing left to fight over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Service records Empty
PostSubject: Re: Service records   Service records Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Service records
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next