BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 73 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Forum Rank Structure

Go down 
+33
gingerjim
whitehorse660
TDivers
jimsigs1
Shelldrake
"john boy"
BerlinSapper
jim
TaffyS
steve
snaijper
alan8376
Bugsy
recce83
PaddyQ
Teabag
Stephen Lock
Mikey
jerry
bob
ciphers
Ian
mjm34
Big_Mike
ALAN.BREAKSPEAR
graham wright
BobG
dandc
ChrisP
Mike_2817
Hardrations
brum
Webmaster Phil
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Do you like the new rank structure?
Yes
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Vote_lcap60%Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 60% [ 18 ]
No
Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Vote_lcap40%Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 30

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime23/5/2010, 08:14

Was that an amalgamation of comcen op and tg op?I ask because i have never come across it before.and trade names changed so often
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime23/5/2010, 11:15

Gordon. wrote:
Was that an amalgamation of comcen op and tg op?I ask because i have never come across it before.and trade names changed so often

I wasn't an Op so I stand to be corrected on this. I believe that Radio Telegraphist (RTG) was just a new name in the early '70s for the Telegraph Operator (TG Op). i.e. the all singing all dancing Op as opposed to the Comcen Op, Radio Op, Radio Relayman etc.

I think nearly all the R Signals trades were revamped and/or renamed very early in the '70s. I remember that for instance the Electrician Driver (ED) became a Combat Powerman (without the need to get changed in a phone box Very Happy ) and Radio Op and Radio Relayman combined to become Combat Radio Op.

Cheers Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime23/5/2010, 11:21

Teabag wrote:
What, drink with a Manc? Of course I would Very Happy I was RTG, brother was Spec Op and another brother ED. We don't talk about the spec op because he was a real Captain. (eventually). Shocked

You'll be relieved to know that I am not actually a Manc. I have merely been exiled to this area.

Did the Spec Ops (Queenies) keep their name or did they become Combat Something?

I've also noticed that we Scaleys seem to have hijacked this thread. pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime23/5/2010, 11:31

Aye the "combat" trades came in after i left.Was it not to glamourise the trades to assist with recruiting or something like that,
?
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime23/5/2010, 11:49

Gordon. wrote:
Aye the "combat" trades came in after i left.Was it not to glamourise the trades to assist with recruiting or something like that,
?

Quite possibly Gordon. Or it may have been to give the impression that we actually fought as part of the Army as opposed to just fighting in the Harewood Club in Catterick Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime23/5/2010, 12:49

There was a Data telegraphist who did mainly Comcen work plus switchboards etc. Radio Telegraphists were an A trade and as mjm puts it an all singing all dancing operator (allegedly).

I started as a Combat Radioman i.e. voice and radio delay but was persuaded to retrain. Year at TTS Catterick being brainwashed with Morse and Keyboard skills. Daft thing was that I did more or less the same work once I did retrain. Got more money though!

Spec Ops (special operators or spies as I called them) became Special Telegraphists.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime24/5/2010, 02:36

RC Sigs had the RTG Op come in in the early sixties over from the the OWL trade. I was in the School taking my RTG Op in 62 and saw many an old Snr NCO in for retraining to the RTG Op trade. Incidentally they also started to train us in Tele Op procedure as the Tel Ops in the Congo were useless when the RTT side of the Angries broke down and the Det Comanders who were usually Sgt. OWL or RTG Ops had to do CW on a steady basis as the CW side rarely failed. The Tele Op trade is now discontinued. Mind when it came to the crunch during the FLQ Crises here in Canada every body but cooks were infantry.
Back to top Go down
snaijper
LCpl
LCpl
snaijper

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : RGJ/RGR
Places Served : Sarawak, Brunei, Berlin, Tidworth, Cyprus, South Georgia, Iraq, Jugoslavia, Croatia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Belize, Northern Ireland
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime24/5/2010, 14:51

I do NOT like the new rank structure; as it will be many years until I am promoted to a rank that I can rest on my laurels or is it arse? Being a new boy; I shall accept the comments of my peers and post what I can; being patient; watching and listening; paying attention to my shape; shine; shadow; silhouette and silence!

Thank you for letting me join your site; that I find of great interest,
snaijper
Back to top Go down
snaijper
LCpl
LCpl
snaijper

Places Served : Sarawak, Brunei, Berlin, Tidworth, Cyprus, South Georgia, Iraq, Jugoslavia, Croatia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Belize, Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime25/5/2010, 10:59

Becoming adjusted to the rank structure and it does appear to work: Some people on this site must have spent many hour's of research and pleasure; to attain rank!
snaijper
silent
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime25/5/2010, 13:59

I myself am waiting for my LE Commission to arrive, the heights of which I never achieved.

Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime25/5/2010, 20:09

snaijper wrote:
I do NOT like the new rank structure; as it will be many years until I am promoted to a rank that I can rest on my laurels or is it arse? Being a new boy; I shall accept the comments of my peers and post what I can; being patient; watching and listening; paying attention to my shape; shine; shadow; silhouette and silence!

Thank you for letting me join your site; that I find of great interest,
snaijper

Hi Snaijper
Well if I've read some of your previous posts correctly it will certainly take quite some time to achieve your Army rank. Some of us have already surpassed ours Very Happy

Cheers
Mike
Back to top Go down
snaijper
LCpl
LCpl
snaijper

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 09:59

Gentlemen,
I thank you for your support and comments: I spent several hours on the site yesterday and absorbed many facts about Germany; that I had NOT previously known.

I found the comments on exercises in Germany; enlightening and humorous: I have been appointed Umpire several times and with 20/20 hindsight; I would have made different decisions: outside of Salisbury in Wiltshire on one occasion at Imber Village/Clump; I monitored a night firefight between 4RGJ; elements of Depot Trg Coy and 21SAS(Artist Rifles): It was heavy hard and violent and I declared 4 elements of 21-dead: Their Sqn Cdr complained; but I held my ground: After breakfast with my driver ; I returned to my L/Rover;(on my signature), only to find it missing: It was never seen again officially: I saw one later at Duke of Yorks Barracks; very much like it; but by that time; it had been written out QM's ant MT lists,
snaijper
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 13:47

snaijper wrote:

Becoming adjusted to the rank structure and it does appear to work: Some people on this site must have spent many hour's of research and pleasure; to attain rank!
snaijper
silent

snaijper

Belated welcome to the forum by starting research on the British Army in Iserlohn from 1945 to 1994 (there was a short time 1968 to 1990 when not here) found this website and it has very useful but for myself nothing to do with the rank structure just enjoy finding out about the places I served in

Know little about the Royal Green Jackets except that 3 Bn were here 1967/1968 before moving on to Celle enjoyed reading your story have a question do you recall a Rod Le Coulliard in the Royal Green Jackets he would be now circa 64 years looking forward to hearing from you here or as a private message

Best regards from a wet Iserlohn
Steve study
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 17:05

Now that's interesting Steve. I've been looking for a lad in the 3rd Btn Green Jackets who was in Iserlohn at that time. He married a girl from Deilinghofen. I think his name was John White. His wifes name was Utta Stimpf.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 17:21

Hardrations wrote:
Now that's interesting Steve. I've been looking for a lad in the 3rd Btn Green Jackets who was in Iserlohn at that time. He married a girl from Deilinghofen. I think his name was John White. His wifes name was Utta Stimpf.

The world is VERY small have known a John White here in Iserlohn for many years but have not been in touch for some time just checked the phone book and no longer listed will do my best to find him for you
Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Mikey
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : BAOR, Cyprus, Aden
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 11:36

Liked it until it transferred me from REME into the Royal Artillery can I go back to my own Corps please!
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : BAOR, Cyprus, Aden
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 17:11

Mike_2817 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
What a coincedence my Forum Rank is what my service rank was!

AND REME as well!
all ways was don't remember transferring to the RA! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Devizes, Lurgan, RAF Aldergrove x2, Topcliffe x 2 Bielefeld, Lubbecke, Munster, Middle Wallop, Hildesheim, RAF Wildenwrath
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 17:18

I liked mine as it was same rank i had when serving but it shows me as a REEM whereas in fact i was Army Air Corps so can i have that shoulder flash pretty please
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 17:22

Not as easy as that I am sorry to say! Looking for a set of ranks without the Shoulder Titles at the moment.

LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 17:37

OK, This is the image set Paul used to create the Forum Ranks.

Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Britarmyranks

Its not as easy as it looks to amend the files, so for now I'm not!

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 23:48

A couple of ranks shown that i am not familiar with..WO class 3?The badge shown is WO2

The badge shown as WO2 is WO2 but normally with an appointment RQMS.Y of S.F of S etc.

Staff sergeant major????Would this be a Garrison Sergeant Major or similar?
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 00:31

I'm afraid I wish I could change my "yes" vote, despite being most generously elevated in rank. Somehow it complicates the appearance of the forums, and no one seems to enjoy being transferred out of their chosen units if the comments above are any indication.

Let's stick with the avatars...they're fun!

Nice to have the web site back!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 09:10

SSM is what I was in the RAOC, it's Staff Sergeant Major and is the appointment below Conductor.

How do you get the REME and stuff badges on the rank picture?
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 16:24

jim wrote:
SSM is what I was in the RAOC, it's Staff Sergeant Major and is the appointment below Conductor.

How do you get the REME and stuff badges on the rank picture?

Oh yes! I remember now, a couple of the WOI ATOs at 321 EOD were SSMs. I always wondered.

Mike
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 16:52

Yes LOL, you'd thin anyone with Sergeant Major in their title would be all drill pig wouldn't you. LOL

far from it in my case, and all RAOC SSM's were trade not RD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Rank Structure   Forum Rank Structure - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forum Rank Structure
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next