BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Wearing service kit Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Wearing service kit

Go down 
+14
steve
Themaadone
Hardrations
brum
john mcmillan
ChrisP
mjm34
Mikey
ciphers
bob
Stephen Lock
dandc
jim
Teabag
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Wearing service kit Empty
PostSubject: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime29/6/2010, 15:40

Sorry peeps but not BAOR again but there is nowhere on the site for just general stuff.

Just been up to my local shops and saw a long haired scruffy looking guy wearing an RAF number two jacket complete with all badges. He was wearing three stripes with a shiney crown over them. Can't remember is that a flight sergeant or something like that?

Am I wrong in thinking it is illegal to be wearing badges of rank that you are not entitled to? Had there been a copper about I would have asked him/her but as usual there wasn't.

It annoys me that guys are putting their lives on the line yet this bloke can parade around in this. Okay he isn't trying to fool anyone into thinking he is forces but it gets to me all the same.

Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime29/6/2010, 16:13

There was a lot of that in the 60's as well teabag, it was fashionable to wear uniforms then as well. That and greatcoats for some reason. Smile
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime29/6/2010, 16:19

yes,all the hippies and walter mittys dressed to the nines,and remember what happened when you went to the storeman for kit,he used to snigger at the the same time as getting you to sign a p1954,or "we havent got any"
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime29/6/2010, 20:24

Remember the Sergeant Pepper type stuff but this was genuine and looked like it had just come out of someones locker. The only decent looking thing he was wearing to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime29/6/2010, 23:04

Teabag wrote:
Sorry peeps but not BAOR again but there is nowhere on the site for just general stuff.

Just been up to my local shops and saw a long haired scruffy looking guy wearing an RAF number two jacket complete with all badges. He was wearing three stripes with a shiney crown over them. Can't remember is that a flight sergeant or something like that?

Am I wrong in thinking it is illegal to be wearing badges of rank that you are not entitled to? Had there been a copper about I would have asked him/her but as usual there wasn't.

It annoys me that guys are putting their lives on the line yet this bloke can parade around in this. Okay he isn't trying to fool anyone into thinking he is forces but it gets to me all the same.

I believe it is illegal to wear badges of rank and other insignia one is not entitled to. It is certainly disrespectful.

My dad, a died-in-the-wool career Army type and a military historian to boot would always, very politely, approach some "kid" wearing such kit and point out to him that while it was fine to wear the jacket, great coat, whatever, he perhaps should remove the stripes, badges, flashes, etc. and explained why.

Back then (70s) he was almost always met with an apology. My guess now he would be met with anything but! Probably a stream of abuse.

I always found it ironic that in the 60s and 70s so many "hippies" wore surplus military uniforms given their pacifist/anti-military leanings. If one has a military fetish, well....then I can understand wearing something, but as an anti-war/anti-establishment/anti-military-industrial complex type, why would they wear anything remotely connected to it??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 07:01

I don`t know what all the fuss is about.He obviously wasn`t a serviceman or trying to impersonate one,so there is nowt illegal in that,
.However.If he had been a Walter Mitty type with the full regalia..Throw the book at him.

I still wear an old BD jacket when working in the garden in winter.Still has titles.1 corps flash, trade badge,and chevrons.Am i for the fireing squad Teabag Laughing
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 08:17

Gordon. wrote:
I don`t know what all the fuss is about.He obviously wasn`t a serviceman or trying to impersonate one,so there is nowt illegal in that,
.However.If he had been a Walter Mitty type with the full regalia..Throw the book at him.

I still wear an old BD jacket when working in the garden in winter.Still has titles.1 corps flash, trade badge,and chevrons.Am i for the fireing squad Teabag Laughing

No but you put the time in, he never. It's just something that annoys me and I think is disrespectful. Battle dress, what's that? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 09:16

Teabag wrote:

There's a retro clothes shop (in reality is a second hand shop ) in the Grassmarket Edinburgh. Basically you can buy clothes from the 1950s right through to now. I was in there at the back end of last year they had on sale the old type Army No2s the heavy wool ones, No2s RAF and a Blues & Royals Great coat as well as ex Army Kilts & Trews and all sorts of bits n bobs .
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 11:02

Hey, I remeber Battle dress, only from the CCF mind. Wink
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 16:08

Here you go boys and girls ... Battle Dress (1966).
Pretty Boy wasn't I.

Len (Ciphers)

Battle Dress
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 16:33

Very smart Len, were you wearing weights?
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 16:39

No Jim, elastics, did the same job and didn't get the RSM on your case ..

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : BAOR, Cyprus, Aden
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 16:42

Weights and elastics Jim, they won't know what you mean.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 17:44

Mikey wrote:
Weights and elastics Jim, they won't know what you mean.

I know what he means but I do read a lot. Ooh look a real rifle. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 18:36

jim wrote:
Hey, I remeber Battle dress, only from the CCF mind. Wink

Was issued Battle Dress when I joined the Army at Harrogate.

I actually still had the trousers when I was demobbed, to the great puzzlement of the civvy storeman.

"Trousers Barrack Dress" he said.
"You've already got them, on the floor over there!" says I.
"Well there's another pair on your 1157, look here - Trousers BD"

Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 18:40

Gordon. wrote:

I think the fuss is about wearing insignia to which he was not entitled. But as has been said this was a big thing in the '60s and early '70s, although I could never see the attraction in paying for and wearing a greatcoat. RAF ones seemed to be the most popular.

Like you I still have a grot green combat jacket that I wear for much the same thing as you. It still has the Div flashes on both sleeves but not the tapes, although you can see where they were.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 18:46

Quote :
Battle Dress (1966).

What backwater were you in in 66 Len? I thought BD had long gone by then...
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 18:58

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Battle Dress (1966).

What backwater were you in in 66 Len? I thought BD had long gone by then...
lol!

Can't speak for Len, but I was issued BD as an A/T in 1966, complete with 37 pattern webbing that we had to blanco.

Mike
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 19:56

Hate to say it but we were issued with BD and 37 pattern webbing in RAMC App Coll in 1970! In fact when I went to my first unit in 1973 I had to buy 58 pattern webbing! It did come to us on issue at the end of 73. I still remember tring to get razor creases on the BD!
Back to top Go down
john mcmillan
WOI
WOI
john mcmillan

Number of posts : 125
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : JOINED JTR RHYL JAN 63-64l Mulhiem/Hilden 64-65/ RAF Seleta 65/RAF Kuching 66 000000000000000000 JTR RHYL JAN-DEC 1963 , YEOVL JAN-MARCH 64, 17 COY MULHIEM / 17 SQN. HILDEN , RAF SELETA NOV 65 ,, RAF KUCHING JAN - APRIL 66 ( GSM BORNEO RAAF Butterworth 66-68/RAF Changi 68 RAF Colerne/RAF Lyneham 68-70
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 20:53

I JOINED JAN 1963 BOY SERVICE ISSUED WITH SDs COMBATS AND No2s NO BDs JAN 1964 IN THE REGs STILL NO BDs MAYBE I WAS LUCKY NO BOCKED PLEATS etc.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 22:04

No BD but in basic training we did get 37 pattern webbing and worst of all the respirator which wouldn't have stopped you smelling a fart. Lots of fun in the gas hut trying them out, NOT!

Blanco? We had to scrub our belts white (ha). I can remember having to blacken it somewhere and at another time we did manage to blanco it. Happy days?

Back to top Go down
john mcmillan
WOI
WOI
john mcmillan

Places Served : JOINED JTR RHYL JAN 63-64l Mulhiem/Hilden 64-65/ RAF Seleta 65/RAF Kuching 66 000000000000000000 JTR RHYL JAN-DEC 1963 , YEOVL JAN-MARCH 64, 17 COY MULHIEM / 17 SQN. HILDEN , RAF SELETA NOV 65 ,, RAF KUCHING JAN - APRIL 66 ( GSM BORNEO RAAF Butterworth 66-68/RAF Changi 68 RAF Colerne/RAF Lyneham 68-70

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 22:13

I FOUND A GOOD WAY OF SHINING A BRASS CAP BADGE WAS TO BUFF IT WITH A DRY USED BLANCO ( KARKI ) BRUSH WORKED A TREAT.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime30/6/2010, 23:48

I just had a re-thunk, and it was 1964 that photo was taken, just after it I was promoted and at that time was issued with the new uniform, or No 2 Dress as we called it.

Bloody Backwater indeed, why I, I, I, etc

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
john mcmillan
WOI
WOI
john mcmillan

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 00:28

No2s hilden naffi plus amstell 1964-65
17 sqn rct hilden  st.davids barracks" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime1/7/2010, 06:34

I had No2 dress issued in 62 and a second in 64 when BD was withdrawn.That was 7 Sigs

At Harrogate 59 -61 We had SD and SD caps plus plus 37 pattern webbing.We also had leather belts which had to be whitened.Most of these belts had the end cut off and was used to rub down brass badges.
The runners of Web belts were flattend and buffed in the same manner
Hardboard was very popular for squaring packs and bed blocks
Any ex brat or JL probably had much of the same

Pure Bull sH&T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wearing service kit
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next