BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 74 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 74 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Books by ex Squaddies

Go down 
+14
BigJock
jim
bigmal
steve jones
Mike_2817
JPW
jimsigs1
maverick52
Wilf
Teabag
Shelldrake
brum
Hardrations
Daveb
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 15:35

Anyone remember those old Sgt Rock/Combat comics that we used to get in the 60s and 70s? We would score out what they were saying in the "Balloons" and enter our own script, eg Sgt Rock, "It's getting a bit hot here chaps, time we scarpered". Bored squaddie, **** this for a game of soldiers, let's get the **** out of this ******* ****hole. Some of the improvisation was hilarious. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

Number of posts : 105
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Iserlohn, Herford X 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 15:43

Any body else read the "Gunner Asch" series of books, I read them in German when I was given them by an Austrian in the U.N. I thought they were very funny and have seen them in English somewhere, I think the first one was Gunner Asch goes to war.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 16:15

Yes I have Dave, there was also a series of films made about Gunner Asch starring Joachim Fuchsberger (aka "Blackie"), who was a very popular Film and TV star in postwar Germany, they made great play of mixing up the words Asch with Arsch which, in those days, was considered a very naughty Double Entendre. Innocent days!Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Images1
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 17:19

Had no idea they had made films, might be cheaper than the books, used hard back on amazon £180 and paperbacks around £20 used, bit of a shocker.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 17:31

Dave have a look on Amazon.de, Filme & TV then type in the title which in German is 0815. A three box DVD set starts at Euro 12:83.
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 19:16

Shelldrake wrote:
Dave have a look on Amazon.de, Filme & TV then type in the title which in German is 0815. A three box DVD set starts at Euro 12:83.

On order, thanks for that, sure to go down well with the wife!!!!!. Maybe I'll wait till she's out, discretion is after all the best part of valour.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 19:31

Bit of useless information, the films' name, 0815 (Nullachtfunfzehn), is German slang for boring or monotonous. 0815 was a WW1 German machine gun on which the squaddies were drilled on over and over and over! Sleep
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 19:42

Shelldrake wrote:
Anyone remember those old Sgt Rock/Combat comics that we used to get in the 60s and 70s? We would score out what they were saying in the "Balloons" and enter our own script, eg Sgt Rock, "It's getting a bit hot here chaps, time we scarpered". Bored squaddie, **** this for a game of soldiers, let's get the **** out of this ******* ****hole. Some of the improvisation was hilarious. Laughing Laughing

Do you include those little mags which, I think came under the title "Commando" ?

A lot of them were popular because the squaddy characters were drawn true-to-life. They were a bit scruffy, a bit ugly. The stories tended to be quite good too.

Nevertheless, not wishing it to be known that we enjoyed reading them, we called them "training pamphlets".
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 20:01

Yes, they were included! (Can't tell you what did to the "Bunty"!!) Embarassed
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2012, 20:10

Shelldrake wrote:
Yes, they were included! (Can't tell you what did to the "Bunty"!!) Embarassed

The "Bunty" ?

What's that then ?

(Sounds a bit gay). queen
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/2/2012, 07:41

Blimey Brum, you've led a sheltered life! The Bunty was a girls comic from the 60, 70s and 80s, I was a subscriber in my Cross Dressing years. queen
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/2/2012, 23:57

Daveb wrote:
Any body else read the "Gunner Asch" series of books, I read them in German when I was given them by an Austrian in the U.N. I thought they were very funny and have seen them in English somewhere, I think the first one was Gunner Asch goes to war.

Gnr. Asch series. Enjoyed those books. Had forgotten about them.
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 00:21

I Remember Adventure, Champion, Hotspur & Film Fun comics, having graduated from ther Beano & Dandy. Showing my age here.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 18:57

Mention of "training pamphlets" brought back memories of BAOR exercises of the late 60s/early 70s when a vital part of many vehicles' FTX kit was a small ammo box filled with said documents, very useful when on radio watch or when hanging around waiting for something to happen. Seem to remember these were rarely read in barracks but were topped up from time to time or swapped with other units to provide fresh reading material

Also very popular were the Sven Hassell books about an imaginary tank troop somewhere on the Eastern Front (though they supposedly fight in Italy and once against a British Commando raid somewhere along the French coast). Seem to remember key players included "The Old Man", Josef Porta the spiv, Tiny, Legionnaire and Barcelona.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 20:03

I was an avid reader of Sven Hassell, JPW, apparently the guy was "Economical with the truth", but I enjoyed them nevertheless. I have his autograph somewhere, maybe my Grandchildren will have it valued on the Antiques Roadshow one day. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 20:08

JPW wrote:
Mention of "training pamphlets" brought back memories of BAOR exercises of the late 60s/early 70s when a vital part of many vehicles' FTX kit was a small ammo box filled with said documents, very useful when on radio watch or when hanging around waiting for something to happen. Seem to remember these were rarely read in barracks but were topped up from time to time or swapped with other units to provide fresh reading material

Also very popular were the Sven Hassell books about an imaginary tank troop somewhere on the Eastern Front (though they supposedly fight in Italy and once against a British Commando raid somewhere along the French coast). Seem to remember key players included "The Old Man", Josef Porta the spiv, Tiny, Legionnaire and Barcelona.

I remember there was a craze on Sven Hassell books, (earlier there was a similar craze on J T Edson westerns !).
Funny though, I recently read a book on German stormtroopers in WW1, called "Stahl gewittern" or something like that. Apparently it was a true story but it read like a Sven Hassell.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 20:26

jimsigs1 wrote:
I Remember Adventure, Champion, Hotspur & Film Fun comics, having graduated from ther Beano & Dandy. Showing my age here.

How about the "Wizard" ?

There was allways a story with a military connection on the back cover.

When our regt first arrived in Paderborn we noticed that there was a Sikh who had a beard and wore a turban with the 10th Hussars badge in it.

It turned out that this bloke was so determined to join the British army that he rode his bike down the length of Malaya to Singapore to sign on.
His story featured on the back of the Wizard and I remembered reading it.

It seems the beard/turban thing was a bit of rebellion against the army. One day he was seen clean shaven and wearing a beret again. He'd got a German girl friend. Enough said !
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 23:28

JPW wrote:

Always remember piles of 'Training Pamphelets' (aka Commando Comics) in the guard room, but no one ever confeesed to buying them LoL

Was waiting for a train at Kings Cross and visited WH Smith and saw them for sale, looked at a couple and I swear they were re-releases as I recognised some of the stories.

Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/2/2012, 23:36

a lot of the early stuff, victor, boys own etc was produced by the government as propoganda. think of Alf Tupper, the tough of the track, and the RAF Sgt who wouldnt take a commission. they were supposed to show ou that the class system was no longer and jack was a sgood as his master. hi silky, good to hear from another Bolton boy.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/2/2012, 04:26

Cold War Soldier (Cdn)
Author: Terry Burk

A very good read by a former RCR soldier in Germany. Fort York in Soest. In the mid 60's. Woke up some forgotten memories for me. Especialy the shooting death of an RCR soldier called Moose. Shot by a Yank.
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/2/2012, 17:41

Here's three books written by ex Squaddies (if you count a R Signals officer who ended up a Maj-Gen).

Book 1 'Lucky Signaller' - ISBN 1 85776-326-2 A record of the service of Michael Hancock from 1937 through the war to become Commander R Sigs 1 BR Corps.

Book 2 'The Other Rank' A Signalman remembers by Marson Holbrook. From a boy soldier at Beveley through Singapore,Ceylon,Cyprus, Osnabruck to UK.A very good read.

Book 3 'A National Sertviceman in Korea '. ISBN 1-900467-16-X George Pagan's experiences in the Korean war covering the period 1950-1953. Extremely good read.

I recommend these books
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/2/2012, 07:52

Subaltern in the Royal Artillery, By Barnes Wallis.

Guide to Battery Commandering by Frank Whittle.

Both a good read! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/2/2012, 09:35

Got the ISBN of those two books Shelldrake. Also, are they hard back or paer back ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/2/2012, 13:39

1. ISBN: 23up23down study

2. ISBN 23about23away study

Hardback only.

Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/2/2012, 15:33

Shelldrake,

I have it on good authority that both those books are in the Royal Artillery Museum text books & Instructional manuals alongside Barnes Wallis's 'I was once a Tall Boy' & 'Chastise Me, I'll be Damned'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books by ex Squaddies   Books by ex Squaddies - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books by ex Squaddies
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next