Installment No. 28, Canadian Postal Corps, 1951-53
The following sites were used to support the research for the article above:
1. Historical Report No. 51
2. A History of the Canadian Forces Postal Services
3. Canadian NATO Forces-Postal history Corner, Canadian Postal & Philatelic History,
Aug 24, 2010 (1951-1974)
From Historical Report No. 51
Page 10, Para 25(c) designated ''Base units''
''No. 2 Base Post Office, C.P.C.
No. 2 Line of Communication Postal Unit, C.P.C.''
From A History of the Canadian Forces/Postal Services. Part 1X-the Post War Era
1946-1986, A, C.P.C. Europe
''In 1951, the 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade was formed as part of Canada's
commitment to NATO. Training was completed by Oct 31, 1951 and the main body
proceeded by ship to the British Occupied Zone in Germany. Most of the service
units including No. 2 Communication Zone Postal Unit and CAPO 5000 were
scattered to the various barracks around Hannover. CAPO 5050 opened
December 2, 1951 in Hannover but the unit moved to Herford in closest
proximity to the British No. 8 Command Postal Depot. The camps of the 27th
Brigade were allotted six Canadian FPO's, CFPO's 40 through 45. No. 1 Canadian
Overseas Postal Depot arrived in Europe in Oct 1952 and established its
Headquarters in London. Its first mission was to open CAPO 5053 on Jun 1,1953,
in order to serve Canadians at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers
Europe(SHAPE) in Paris. It was not until 1953 that it managed to establish FPO's
to serve Canadians in England''.
From Canadian NATO Forces-Postal History Corner:
''Canadian Postal & Philatelic History, Tues, Aug 24, 2010-Canadian NATO Forces
(2) Canadian Army Brigade, Northern Germany 1951-1970. The Canadian Army
Brigade of our 6000 troops was originally stationed in northern Germany as
Southern Germany from 1970
Hannover Area(1951-53). The 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade was stationed in
the Hannover area with the following Post Offices:
Hannover CFPO's 40, 41,42, 44, 45; Hohne CFPO 43; Herford CAPO 5000
(8 Command Postal Depot). CAPO Herford was the regulating post office
remaining in the Hannover area when the Brigade moved to the Soest area.''
Amidst all of the ruins in the city of Hannover in 1952 the Herrenhausen Gartens was one of the cultural areas selected for immediate restoration following the war. It had been one of the most beautiful botanical gardens in all of Europe, designed in a baroque style comprised of manicured lawns,, plantings, small lakes, ponds, canals, greenhouses, and much more. The post card above, which was sent from CFPO 40 in Hannover by a serviceman in the 27th Brigade to Barrie, Ontario on 21 Nov 1952, shows a small part of the very impressive restoration.
Above is the badge of the Canadian Postal Corps, capped by the Tudor Crown
which was replaced in 1952 by the Crown of St. Edward. Subsequently, it became
the Royal Canadian Postal Corps with a complete makeover of the badge.
Next installment the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps