BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
                                        URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 49 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 49 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

URBAN MYTHS

Go down 
+12
Hussar100
Rocky
unclevanya
soprano54
ScaleyDave
Chemist
Hardrations
Dulaigh
csqnblackhat
brum
Shelldrake
dandc
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime26/3/2013, 12:20

Getelmen i need your help please, many moons ago when i was a 15/19 Hussar,i was told of the tank that put its barrel through the pub window and fired a blank round. Ihave even been told that the small vilage was a place called Hutzel. I am lothe to believe this because,
1) i dont remember ever seeing a blank round for tanks.
2) the story is always from some one who knew some one.
3) the damage must have been tremendous, so probably made the news.

So any help gents over to you. thanks Dave.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime26/3/2013, 14:55

Yes I remember that, it was a Tiger Tank, one of several hundred that were found stored in an underground Tank Park in Grafenwohr after the war. Laughing
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime26/3/2013, 15:31

If you think all you can do is try to take the piss dont bother and eff off.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime26/3/2013, 17:31

dandc wrote:
Getelmen i need your help please, many moons ago when i was a 15/19 Hussar,i was told of the tank that put its barrel through the pub window and fired a blank round. Ihave even been told that the small vilage was a place called Hutzel. I am lothe to believe this because,
1) i dont remember ever seeing a blank round for tanks.
2) the story is always from some one who knew some one.
3) the damage must have been tremendous, so probably made the news.

So any help gents over to you. thanks Dave.

This "incident" was touched on before Dan.

1) When I first heard the story the centurion was still in use. 20 pounder or 105 mm gun I don't know but I think they both fired from a cartridge, so I suppose it would be possible to have a blank.
2) Nobody ever knew which unit it was supposed to have been, it was always "some Tanky mob".
3) Firing a "blank" of that size into a small gasthaus type room would've caused death.

For me that particular story is a load of old cobblers.

You could fill a book with Urban Myths.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime26/3/2013, 17:37

Cheers brum, my sentiments also.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime27/3/2013, 15:54

Another story that went around in the early 60s was of disenchanted dingbat, who decided it would be a good idea to defect to the east.
I think he may have been in Berlin but either way, the story went that this character, (from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers it seems), was welcomed by Soviets with open arms then, after they'd got all the info from him that they could ,they sent him back to the west.
I don't recall ever hearing what was supposed to have happened to him when he got back.

I do believe that these stories have a grain of truth in them somewhere though !
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime27/3/2013, 17:56

Like the one pulling the string,shouting "heel rover".
Back to top Go down

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime27/3/2013, 22:51

Quote :
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Is this when the soviets took an interest in sheep???OOps ..Am i taking the piss?/ lol!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 08:04

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Is this when the soviets took an interest in sheep???OOps ..Am i taking the piss?/ lol!

Don't think so, Old Bean. That definitely comes under "Generating Banter", that is if anyone apart from me, wants to keep it going! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
csqnblackhat
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Hohne, 11th Hussars, Munsterlager, 4 Fd Regt R.A. Warminster, School of Infantry Demo Squadron, 2RTR and 13/18 Hussars.
Registration date : 2011-09-11

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 14:56

Centurions, both 20 pounder and 105mm had available blank rounds, in the early 70's at Warminster, Ajax 2RTR, it is said, would go pheasant hunting if they had a few left over at the end of an exercise. This was just hearsay on my part, I was there but never witnessed the event, but the idea was that the tank would go charging into the undergrowth and if a pheasant broke cover, a blank was let off killing the pheasant stone bonkers dead with the shock wave. It is said these birds sold at a premium in town as there was no lead shot to dig out.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 18:00

By the cringe !

The gunner chappie would have to be a bit schnell on the traverse wouldn't he ? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 19:54

NO directivity of shot required. Shock wave. Idea
Back to top Go down
csqnblackhat
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Hohne, 11th Hussars, Munsterlager, 4 Fd Regt R.A. Warminster, School of Infantry Demo Squadron, 2RTR and 13/18 Hussars.
Registration date : 2011-09-11

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 22:47

It was always gun front, as the tank approached, the pheasant always break directly away from whatever scares them, as indeed they do when beaters are employed in a pukka pheasant shoot...........almost went off on a tangent there with pheasant pluckers and suchlike!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 23:53

Heard that story to about the tank in the 60's and yes it was supposed to be a British out fit that did it. It was in 67 when I heard it.

There was a story about a Canadian who defected to the east, had something to do with being AWOL and drunk and thinking that was the answer to his problems.

Also when we first got APC's , M113 in Germany, apparently when first swam by an infantry unit, they forgot to close the door on the ramp. Could be possible.

Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 00:20

Guy Bouchard Canadian Army Canada 1960 Defected to East Germany[61]
John Strobl Canadian Army Canada 1960 Defected to East Germany[62]

These two characters were the ones
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 08:24

So !

Again a grain of truth ! I wonder how the story finished up with it being one man from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers who defected ? !
Back to top Go down
Chemist
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Chemist

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-10-24

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 10:12

There was the one that went round in "Crusader"time. The usual German railway level crossing and a guy tied a horse to the barrier pole. Up went the pole and the horse with it. Down it came onto the bonnet of a Brit land Rover. The horse owner tried to sue the Brits for scaring the horse.

Don't believe it but I heard it at least twice.
Back to top Go down
ScaleyDave
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 19
Cap Badge : Mercury of course
Places Served : Lippstadt, Blandford, Rheindahlen, Bessbrook, Catterick
Registration date : 2013-03-01

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 10:41

The legends I heard in BAOR were:

1) A number of German Leopards were passing though a village, only to find that a row of parked cars was hindering thier passage, after a quick shout of "moven ze wagens" thay shrugged and drove over the top of all of them (naturally no unit was ever named and I suspect the model of tank and number of vehicles trashed changed with time and the number of beers consumed)

2) Chieftan crews being bribed by fritz (sorry Indeginous Population) to demolish old farm buildings for the compensation

2) A Jock arrested by those friendly chaps in Red Hats was being taken to Frankfurt but the RMP mistook the road and headed towards Frankfurt am Oder rather that Frankfurt, till they hit the IGB

As per usual with these things it was told and retold but originated from some bloke who was in the know and it was all hushed up

First two might have some credence but the third, even I when wet behind the ears thought it smelled like Billingsgate on a hot afternoon.
Back to top Go down
ScaleyDave
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 19
Cap Badge : Mercury of course
Places Served : Lippstadt, Blandford, Rheindahlen, Bessbrook, Catterick
Registration date : 2013-03-01

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 10:44

Chemist wrote:
There was the one that went round in "Crusader"time. The usual German railway level crossing and a guy tied a horse to the barrier pole. Up went the pole and the horse with it. Down it came onto the bonnet of a Brit land Rover. The horse owner tried to sue the Brits for scaring the horse.

Yep heard that one too....

and the Brit Tank Driver who was waiting at a junction when confronted by a horde of german CND types who started screaming "why did you join the Army" etc, his reply "Cos I like bayonetting babies, now f*** o***"

There must have been millions of tales like that
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 17:32

ScaleyDave wrote:
The legends I heard in BAOR were:

1) A number of German Leopards were passing though a village, only to find that a row of parked cars was hindering thier passage, after a quick shout of "moven ze wagens" thay shrugged and drove over the top of all of them (naturally no unit was ever named and I suspect the model of tank and number of vehicles trashed changed with time and the number of beers consumed)

2) Chieftan crews being bribed by fritz (sorry Indeginous Population) to demolish old farm buildings for the compensation

2) A Jock arrested by those friendly chaps in Red Hats was being taken to Frankfurt but the RMP mistook the road and headed towards Frankfurt am Oder rather that Frankfurt, till they hit the IGB

As per usual with these things it was told and retold but originated from some bloke who was in the know and it was all hushed up

First two might have some credence but the third, even I when wet behind the ears thought it smelled like Billingsgate on a hot afternoon.

The one by Chemist is new on me, probably after my time.
2) We often thought that was the case, certainly, I once watched a troop of Leopards drive through a field of standing crops, even though there was a road running alongside the field.
In the mid-70s, the duration of an exercise was often governed by the amount of damage done. On one ex the word went around that once a million marks worth of damage was done it would be stopped.
Sitting waiting for a Greenjackets column to clear a village I watched a 432 driver deliberately run over a parked car.
Whether there was a million mark limit or not, that exercise DID finish early !
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime29/3/2013, 17:49

Chemist wrote:

The original dit involved a man and a dog, a horse and cart, a brand spanking new merc and a backfiring Stally! And it went something like this:-

A man and his dog were waiting at a level crossing next to the barrier, behind him was this brand new Merc and behind that a horse and cart then along came this Stally and as the driver came to a halt it backfired causing the horse to rear up on it's back legs and then came down on the boot of the Merc! The bloke with his dog saw what was happening, tied his dog to the barrier and went to assist the geezer on the horse and cart. In the meantime 'Casey Schmidt' on the Hannover to Hamburg express passed through the crossing and once he'd cleared it the barrier went up along with 'Fritz the Hund'! Sad Shocked

Last edited by soprano54 on 27/4/2013, 16:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime30/3/2013, 16:34

I did hear a story in the mid 1960s whilst serving in BAOR, that some disgruntled squaddies got beaten up in a German Pub that was the home drinking den of many Italians living in Germany then. Some of those squaddies were quite badly injured, so one of the senior officers of the Regiment says.. "Right lads...lets go down and sort 'em..!" So quite a few squaddies piles into a Bedford 3 Tonner, drove down to said German Pub, and backed the 3 Tonner through the front of said premises. No more British Army squaddies were beaten up for a long time by the Italian youth who lived in that town.

Not sure if this was an urban myth, or one of those reports that arose around some Scottish Regiment being called 'Poisoned Dwarfs' when there was trouble between them and local German youth. This usually flared upa after a night on the town imbibing large quantities of German Ale after getting a belly full of booze in the NAAFI Bars before heading off camp for a punch up.

I do know that several of my mates said that the Italians who lived in the Krefeld area of Germany near 28 (BR) Sigs Regiment, adn 16 Sigs Regiment would carry flick knives with them, so some off duty squaddies took to carrying knives as well when they went out of barracks. I never heard of any injuries, the blokes on the camp used to drink in pubs away from the local Italian immigrant communities in the Krefeld area. affraid

I can remember being searched by the HM Customs at Dover Port once when coming home on leave to Blighty by train and ferry. I did have a small knife on me, but the blade length was under 3 and a half inches. That was a long time ago now..... Sleep
Back to top Go down

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime30/3/2013, 17:40

Quote :
Not sure if this was an urban myth, or one of those reports that arose around some Scottish Regiment being called 'Poisoned Dwarfs' when there was trouble between them and local German youth.

True....The Cameronians
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime30/3/2013, 21:47

The British press called them the "Poison dwarfs". It seems that they picked up on the German name for them, (whatever that was).
A bit like the German name for the British football supporters, "Inselaffen". What bothers me is that, it seems to me, in the mentality of the German race, the British are all "Inselaffen".
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime30/3/2013, 22:21

I was present at the birth of three "urban myths".
In Hemer, we shared a barracks with an Infantry Regt that must remain nameless.
Every so often the two battalions of this regiment rotated.
During the move of the incoming battalion, we had their MFO boxes etc. stacked under gun covers on our square.
1).It was said that a freezer was among the stuff that we were accommodating, and its contents defrosted and leaked blood down the slope of the parade ground and evoking images of victims of IRA executions being smuggled out of NI.
It was said that the owner of the freezer thought that its contents would stay solid long enough for him to make the move into his new home.
2). At this time we had had our pay arrangements moved to German banks. (Commerzbank, Dresdener Bank, und so weiter.). part of this process resulted in us being presented with a little wallet. stuffed with Euroschecks, (apologies for any misspellings). Incoming Infantiers believed that as long as you had cheques, you had money and were buying stuff with reckless abandon, until the Powers That Be put a stop to it.
3). A member of this mob was a model railway enthusiast and, to expand his burgeoning layout, thought it expedient to knock holes in the walls of his lovely, ex-Canadian married quarter, to allow free movement of his rail network.

1) Believable, but not substantiated.
2) True, confirmed orally by senior members of aforesaid regiment,
3) As above.

It used to be said, on a TV programme, "The truth is stranger than fiction" !

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

URBAN MYTHS Empty
PostSubject: Re: URBAN MYTHS                                           URBAN MYTHS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

URBAN MYTHS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next