BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 71 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 70 Guests :: 2 Bots

Dulaigh

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bad Bentheim Feeding Station

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bastock51
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-03-18

Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Empty
PostSubject: Bad Bentheim Feeding Station   Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime10/3/2014, 08:36

Has anybody any details of this? It was a stop on the German / Dutch trooping train route to/from Hook of Holland. I am guessing it would have been used until 1955 after which a full dining car service was provided on these trains.
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 97
Cap Badge : RASC
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Bad Bentheim Feeding Station   Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime10/3/2014, 17:54

Can't remember this from 1952/4 - as I recall, we had a dining car then. The only stop on the border was for the customs to search for any coffee etc we might be trying to smuggle in.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Bad Bentheim Feeding Station   Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime10/3/2014, 19:53

As a self confessed railway enthusiast and member of small group of BAOR warriors who exchanged information on the BAOR Troop Trains may I attempt to answer your question.. Sadly the group is now virtually defunct, old age/illness has finally caught up with us.

The definitive answer can within the MacNaughton Report, written in 1961, to record the History of the BAOR Troop Trains shortly before the ending of the Hook of Holland Sea Trooping system.

A system of reinforcement by train had been in place from July 1944 to support the advancing 21 Army Group (future BAOR) using the Channel Ports. By September 1945 the heavily damaged German Railway system (including locomotives and coaches) had been sufficiently patched up to permit the introduction of a BAOR wide timetable of both inter Garrison and Long Distance train services for the exclusive use of British Servicemen (and later their families)

In the early days not all the trains had on board feeding facilities, and there certainly were Feeding Stops where passengers would disembark and been served some form of hot food from a Military Cookhouse. I have not studied the subject in detail but I know the National Archives in Kew do hold copies of the Official Unit Diaries for two/three locations. One of which was in the Bentheim area, a second was at Minden.

Hope this is helpful, would be very interested to exchange information, my thoughts are that the feeding stops were obsolete by the late 1940's. Incidentally in 1947 Soldier Magazine published a short article on the "Champagne Express" so called for the quality of the Food served on board. The Ambulance Train ran once/twice a week calling at all the major Garrisons before terminating in Cuxhaven and connecting with a hospital ship which took the patients back to the UK for further treatment.
Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: feeding stations?   Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime10/3/2014, 20:21

Cliffo wrote:
Can't remember this from 1952/4  - as I recall, we had a dining car then.  The only stop on the border was for the customs to search for any coffee etc we might be trying to smuggle in.
In 1953 the trains had a 'pullman' car, I remember it well, it was the first time that mum and us kids had ever seen pats of curly butter, the food was great, the service was very good, my mum had never been out of Scotland at that time, she traveled all that way, [ train, boat, train] with us three kids, it must have been terrifying for her! Ian.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Bentheim Feeding Station   Bad Bentheim Feeding Station Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Bentheim Feeding Station
Page 1 of 1