BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 10:10 am by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 12:39 am by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2024 7:32 am by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2024 7:42 pm by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 11:01 am by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 9:00 am by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2024 10:15 am by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2024 9:42 am by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2024 6:43 am by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 4:07 pm by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 3:02 pm by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 2:05 pm by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 9:03 am by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2024 10:12 pm by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2024 9:50 pm by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 92 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 91 Guests :: 2 Bots

alan8376

Most users ever online was 223 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 pm
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Soldiers Release Book

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Soldiers Release Book Empty
PostSubject: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 5:41 pm

I have been sorting through some boxes of paperwork belonging to my late father and have come across a "Soldiers Release Book" Class A, ths book is in the name of my grandfather and I woud like to try and find out what he was and where he served. The information contained therein reads as follows
Army No: 11117762 Present rank: Gunner
Surname: Thompson
Christian names: Robert Edmund
Unit, Regt, Corps:362/41 S/L Regt RA
Date of last enlistment: 20-2-1941
Trade on enlistment: Postman
Military Conduct: Exemplary.
Testimonal:...........
Place BAOR Date 1 Dec 1945
Officers signature: ? Dickinson-Mayers?

I also have what I can only describe as a handmade card which reads inside: Ontracht dit klein gedenkenis
Als de boodschapper
Van mijne wenschen
German I think ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Discharge Papers   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Cowpig wrote:
I have been sorting through some boxes of paperwork belonging to my late father and have come across a "Soldiers Release Book" Class A, ths book is in the name of my grandfather and I woud like to try and find out what he was and where he served. The information contained therein reads as follows
Army No: 11117762 Present rank: Gunner
Surname: Thompson
Christian names: Robert Edmund
Unit, Regt, Corps:362/41 S/L Regt RA
Date of last enlistment: 20-2-1941
Trade on enlistment: Postman
Military Conduct: Exemplary.
Testimonal:...........
Place BAOR Date 1 Dec 1945
Officers signature: ? Dickinson-Mayers?

I also have what I can only describe as a handmade card which reads inside: Ontracht dit klein gedenkenis
Als de boodschapper
Van mijne wenschen
German I think ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Smile

The language at the bottom seems more like Dutch than German!!

I will post it on anither site to see if any of the Dutch members recognise it.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Many thanks Paul, I tried to translate it on the web but with no joy
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re:- Discharge Papers   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 7:18 pm

The phrases have been posted, and all I can do now is wait!!

As with a lot of Reserve Forces in WW2, I would surmise that 41st Searchlight Regiment was a re-roled Infantry Regiment, in this case the 5th North Staffordshire's.

By about 1941 there were around 70 Searchlight Regiments in existence. The 93rd was the last to be formed, in October 1942, so the 41st was in existence before then, possibly from around, or before, the date of your grandfather's enlistment.

After 1942 there were radical changes with 19 Regiments being re-roled (some possibly for the second time) or disbanded, with 11 more meeting the same fate the next year along with 15 more being posted overseas. Two more were posted overseas in 1944.

By the end of WW2 only 6 Regiments, of 3 Batteries each, were still in the UK. The last Regular Searchlight Regiment was disbanded in 1956, with the T.A Regiments soldiering on for a while longer before the last of the equipment was returned to the Royal Engineers in 1960.

I have found reference to 362 Battery possibly being deployed at Brixham around September 1940, but it is highly probable that this battery was transferred from another Regiment on the formation of the 41st. In fact there is another reference to the fact that 362 originated as part of 91st Field Regiment R.A.

Regards for now,

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Many thanks Paul will await results I do have some photos which I will endeavour to post.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Phrase   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 8:35 pm

There are no replies yet, but my own thoughts lead to a possible mix of Dutch and German.

Ontracht dit klein gedenkenis
Als de boodschapper
Van mijne wenschen

dit klein - this small (Dutch)
Als de boodschapper - As a messenger (Dutch)
Van mijne wenschen - Of my wishes (Dutch for my = mijn, German = meine - Dutch for wishes = wensen, German = wunsche)

That is about as much as I can work out for the moment. Is the script in English or Continental style?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Not sure about the script but when I can get to scanner tomorrow will try and download/upload whichever it is.

Have spoken to my Mum (it was her Dad in question) and she says he was in Holland and Belgium. I have a tried a Flemish translation but only got as far as "a messenger".

Mum, I am sure has some photos of him whilst abroad, I am visiting her tomorrow and will borrow them and try and upload/download whichever it is.

Cowpig
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re:- Discharge Papers   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 am

I have received a reply from my other posting, and the answer is very similar to my last post here.

The problem stems from the first word of the passage you posted - Ontracht.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Soldiers Release Book 2008-013
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 3:58 pm

Soldiers Release Book 2008-014
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 3:58 pm

Whoops thought it was going too well
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Soldiers Release Book 2008-015

Found this as well - name on back says A E Boulter, 4 Portland Street, Cosby, Nr Leicester - Anytime you are near call in.
Xmas 1845
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re:- Discharge Papers   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 pm

Cracking images!!

I will post an edited image of the card on the site that I asked for a translation, taking out the personal bits.

Thanks.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:24 am

I agree, great photo's.

and...

It's certainly not German, that I can vouch for Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re:- Discharge Papers   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 10:14 am

I think we now have a "close enough" translation. Any corrections from the other site will be posted later.

"Ontvangt" dit klein gedenkenis
Als de boodschapper
Van mijne wenschen

Corrected from "Ontracht"

Receive this small token of remembrance
As the messenger
Of my wishes

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 10:27 am

Another first line could read:_

"Accept this small remembrance"

or

"Accept this small sign of remembrance"

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks Paul,

Its all so interesting. I have found numerous photos of my late uncle who was on HMS Fitzroy plus a photo of my late father holding a model of the Fitzroy which my uncle made for him (there was 10+ years difference in their age).

All we need to know now is where the photo with the monument was taken and if anyone recognises the chap in the other photo.

If I find any more pics will post them - as I seem to be able to upload or download them fairly easily.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Glad that we were able to get something sorted out with the phrase at least.

Can you see what is actually on the plinth of the monument/statue with a magnifying glass? What can be seen of the buildings in the background makes me think that it is on the Continent somewhere.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Sorry Paul, have tried to see what is says but to no avail, have even had my 14yr old son take a look (his eyes are better than mine) but he can't figure it out. All my Mum can remember is that he was in Holland and Belgium and that when he was stationed in Belgium he lived on a farm. I have found three photos of young girls (18/19) and Mum thinks that these are the daughters of the farmer where she stayed.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: More on the phrase, plus HMS Fitzroy   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:17 pm

I have just received this translation:-

Accept this small token of remembrance
As the messenger
Of my wishes

As for HMS Fitzroy, she was sunk after detonating a mine, May 27th 1942. See here:-

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-22MS-OldHunt-Sutton.htm

If you look at the following site, it gives her Battle Honours:-

http://www.captainclassfrigates.co.uk/honours/bhon.html

HMS Fitzroy was replaced, as far as I can see, by an American built ship of the same name, look here for details:-

http://www.captainclassfrigates.co.uk/ships/buckley.html

Click on her name and it will show you build details.

At least one member of the crew was MID - HOBBS
Charles Aldbrough, LS, HMS Fitzroy (Improved Hunt (Aberdare) Class M/S), 9 Jun 42, MID

Charles Aldbrough, PO, HMS Fitzroy (Improved Hunt (Aberdare) Class M/S), 30 Jul 42, MID

Minesweeping - First MID awarded for bravery, determination and fortitude in important minesweeping operations Orkneys & Shetland Oct 41.

Second MID awarded after ship mined and sunk East Coast 27 May 42.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page:-

http://www.mcdoa.org.uk/ww_ii_awards_for_rn_minesweeping_H.htm

There is an alphabet you can search through.

Good hunting.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: RE:- Photographs   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 7:19 pm

If you can upload the relevant photographs that my be connected to Belgium, I will have a go on the same site to see if any Belgian members can help.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 6:22 am

Thanks for all the info Paul will have a look later.

The photo which could be Belgium is the one with the monument, the others I mentioned are of three young girls but nothing else, they are taken in a studio of some sort and simply have their names on the back, these are written in pencil and faded but the best I can read is "Pharailda Virbist - 15 jaar" "Clementina Virbist - 11 jaar" and Louisa Virbist - 17 jaar"
Back to top Go down
islandgirl
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 11
Cap Badge : Dad:- 10th Royal Hussars (PWO)
Places Served : Iserlohn, Tidworth, Aqaba, Tidworth
Registration date : 2007-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 8:44 pm

Would it be South African?
Back to top Go down
Cowpig
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 7:45 am

On looking up the word "jaar" it turns out to be dutch for year and this would tie in with grandad being in Belgium/Holland.

Thanks for your reply though
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: RE:- Photographs   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 12:36 pm

If you can, post both sides of the photo. I will move them across to the other site to see if any of the Belgian members can throw any light on the subject.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Release Book   Soldiers Release Book Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soldiers Release Book
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next