BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 42 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 42 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Salamanca Barracks Soest

Go down 
+6
Hardrations
Pborn3
SanniSorglos
Shep
Stephen Lock
tantruc
10 posters
AuthorMessage
tantruc
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : Soest Germany, Ireland, Middle Wallop Andover
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Salamanca Barracks Soest Empty
PostSubject: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime9/7/2008, 16:42

These are pictures of Salamanca Barracks and the airfield in Soest Germany, they were taken by my warm associates during my time in Soest with 653 Squadron Army Air Corps.

Some have kept in touch and as always some haven't as time has passed us by the main Army Air Corps Web site has closed down so there is little chance that i can trace them all, so if any of you viewers recognise any of the people located here pleasedrop me a line.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime9/7/2008, 19:05

Maybe it's just me but I didn't see any pics posted...and I'd enjoy seeing them, for sure. Anything to do with Soest, actually, as it has always been my "home town" as far as I'm concerned!
Back to top Go down
Shep
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Menden, Paderborn, Soest
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime31/7/2008, 12:32

tantruc wrote:
These are pictures of Salamanca Barracks and the airfield in Soest Germany, they were taken by my warm associates during my time in Soest with 653 Squadron Army Air Corps.

Some have kept in touch and as always some haven't as time has passed us by the main Army Air Corps Web site has closed down so there is little chance that i can trace them all, so if any of you viewers recognise any of the people located here pleasedrop me a line.

When exactly were you in Soest? I knew a lot of the AAC personnel.
Back to top Go down
SanniSorglos
Private
Private
SanniSorglos

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime16/7/2013, 12:02

Hi Very Happy

Maybe this is kinda corny but Im looking for my "father",he was stationed in soest..Salamanca bks, late 80`s early 90`s..i dont have much information..they called him "styx" ^^ so if anybody knows anything it would be cool to take a look at him Very Happy and oh yeah..dont be scared i dont want any money or such,just want to find my roots,thanks in advance..love,sanni
Back to top Go down
Pborn3
WOI
WOI
Pborn3

Number of posts : 134
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Oswestry, Paderborn, Barnard Castle, Catterick, NI, Bristol, Cyprus, Munsterlager, NI,Sennelager , NI , Rge Control/STC Sennelager/ GSU Sennelager as Civvy
Registration date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime31/1/2015, 01:10

Fort Chambly up to 1971 had been residence of
1 Tpt Coy RCASC
4 Ord Fd Pk RCOC
1 Fd Amb RCAMC
4 RCEME Wksp
C Sqn 8 Ca Hussars

handed over to BAOR and rename Salamanca Bks (Bad Sassendorf) closed 1 Sep 93

HQ 6 Airmob Bde 1986 -88
206 Signal Sqn
16 Lt AD Regt from 1971
13 PC Sqn RE
3 AAC (653 an 663 Sqn)
3 Armd Div Ord Coy
5 Fd Wksp REME from 1971
later
B Coy 6 Armd Wksp later Soest Det 6 Armd Wksp then 11 Armd Wksp
BAOR Rehab Centre

Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime16/2/2015, 04:27

I heard that Fort Chambly is or was a clearing center for returning Germans from the former Russian colonies.

Also Pborn 3 I notice you mention an Armoured (Unit C Sqn 8 Cdn Hussar) in Chambly. When I was there (Fort Prince of Wales) All the Cdn. Armour was in Iserlohn at Fort Beasujoure. Originally back in the 50's they were in Werl at Fort St. Anne as was 1 Fd. Amb. RCAMC
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime17/2/2015, 23:20

Hardrations wrote:
I heard that Fort Chambly is or was a clearing center for returning Germans from the former Russian colonies.

Also Pborn 3 I notice you mention an Armoured (Unit C Sqn 8 Cdn Hussar) in Chambly. When I was there (Fort Prince of Wales) All the Cdn. Armour was in Iserlohn at Fort Beasujoure. Originally back in the 50's they were in Werl at Fort St. Anne as was 1 Fd. Amb. RCAMC

That's right, Hard Rations. Fort Beausejour did hold the armoured regiments, except for the Recce Squadrons. Interestingly, they were usually from different regiments for some reason or other. For example, when I was in Fort Chambly from '57 to '59 it was the Lord Strathcona's Horse recce sqn while the "main armour" at Beausejour was the Royal Canadian Dragoons. I believe Fort Beausejour was opened in 1956 or '57 when they increased the brigade armour strength from a squadron to a regiment, thus making Fort Anne too small to accommodate four squadrons of tanks. Today the most aggressive thing in use at Fort Anne are golf clubs, so I understand.

As for the former, I don't ever recall hearing the story about returning German POWs being billited there. The barracks were only built in the early '50s, and they were always strictly for Canadian brigade use, unless there was something there beforehand. Can anyone add to this?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime17/2/2015, 23:56

All the forts were Canadian made except for the two forts in Iserlohn which were German. I've seen YouTube bits on German Panzar units that surrendered at the end of the war in Iserlohn, so possibly that's what's being referred to if they were P.O.W. camps for the Germans. Also I remember German locals telling me that much of the German military equipment rifles, SMG's, grenades, etc were piled up the hill side where the Cdn. PMQ's were in Hemer, those to were built for the Canadians. The local lads had a ball playing cowboy and Indians and surprisingly no one was shot.

And I never realized that the Recce Sqn was in Chambly. Not bad for a guy who ran the Bde. Adm. Det. in 1 SSM Bty. Don't know why I didn't remember that.

Good hearing from you. Did you know Archie Cairns Pipe Major for the Gds and formerly Black Watch passed away?
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

Number of posts : 136
Cap Badge : The Royal Canadian Regiment
Places Served : 1977-80, London ON, Gagetown NB
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime18/2/2015, 00:07

Yes, Fort Chambly was the base for the recce squadron.  The reason for this was that the squadron was equipped with helicopters and there was the gliding field just to the north-east of the camp which the Canadians made use of for their aircraft.

The brigade recce squadron was a separate unit from the armoured regiment.  Canadian-based armoured regiments of the 50's and 60's weren't organized with full reconnaissance squadrons.  When one was required for NATO or UN service, an armoured regiment would be tasked to organize a squadron for the period required.  Only on one occasion did the recce squadron and the armoured regiment in the NATO brigade wear the same cap badge.

When the 8th Canadian Hussars were reorganized as a reconnaissance regiment in, as I recall, 1964, it stationed its C Squadron permanently at Fort Chambly.  When the brigade moved south in 1970 the reconnaissance squadron was done away with.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime13/3/2015, 18:56

So much history centred around both the Canadian forts and subsequent British ownership and so many of the old forts since DND (Dept. of National Defence) in it's infinite wisdom decided it'd be a great idea to put all our eggs in one basket and move all the Cdn troops to Lahr/Baden-Baden etc. have fallen into disrepair/dereliction or been converted to light industrial use. I know the camps in Werl, for instance, are all overgrown and just left to rot. I always thought the move 'down south' was a bad move, myself. And now, of course, the Kaserne and old Youth Club in Lahr are all derelict as well. Very sad.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime13/3/2015, 21:56

Ah Stephen the Kasern in Lahr is now a very attractive housing site.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime17/3/2015, 19:23

Hardrations wrote:
Ah Stephen the Kasern in Lahr is now a very attractive housing site.

Good! And I assume you weren't being ironic/sarcastic when you said "very attractive" housing site Smile

The last set of pics I saw of it all was maybe 3 or 4 years ago and it was all in ruin. The old Youth Club with all those wonderful murals (most of which were painted by Gloria Gourlay who I knew in Soest), the high school, main married quarters, and barracks etc. --empty and derelict and vandalized. That the Lahr city council or whoever decided to convert the site into housing is excellent. Glad to hear it.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime18/3/2015, 02:56

No sarcasm meant Stephen. I can't remember how I got them, but some one posted some aerial pictures showing the old casern site. I think it was on a R.C.A. site I'm in. I'll try to find them and post them on.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime22/3/2015, 18:55

that'd be excellent!

Hope the others don't think us 'pushy Colonials' are ursurping their site! :-)
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime23/3/2015, 07:28

Bloomin' Colonials usurping our site!!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime7/4/2015, 18:44

Shelldrake wrote:
Bloomin' Colonials usurping our site!!

Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil -- I know!! Razz
Back to top Go down
1983reid
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-06-20

PostSubject: Salamanca Barracks    Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime20/6/2022, 22:18

My dad was stationed at Salamanca Barracks, in the 80's till 1991. 3 reg AAC. Anyone else there in that time?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Salamanca Barracks Soest   Salamanca Barracks Soest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Salamanca Barracks Soest
Page 1 of 1