BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests :: 1 Bot

steve

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Hands up those of you who are still breathing.

Go down 
+4
burgess720
Pborn4
alan8376
Rocky
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Empty
PostSubject: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime26/3/2022, 15:26

Is there anyone out there?
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime27/3/2022, 09:34

Rocky,
There are those of us who check in everyday to see if there are any new queries from new people joining. We are monitoring!

Alan

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Shelldrake   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime27/3/2022, 16:38

And, we may have lost a few contributors through Covid / Old Age / Computer failure.

Trouble is, there is no way for NOK to delete membership when activity ceases.

Shelldrake -  Nothing heard since Oct 2020 - may mean his T/Cypriot
gardner has acquired a des res with swimming pool west from Kyrenia?

JPW - voluntarily relinquished active connections but has a watching brief - in the Home Counties.

A little worried about Brum who may be older than we think (NS in 24 Msl Regt in Nienburg around 1951)

Those who can should get into the Memberlist (button at top of page) to see who has long been silent.

Be careful with deleting those who have passed - their contributions to this site may also vanish

Last edited by Pborn4 on 15/7/2022, 03:23; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : addendum)

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
burgess720
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 02:39

I have had PC problems for over a year, kept saying a dangerous site; this has now stopped
I was posted to BAOR February 1951, a long time ago; it is doubtful if more than 5% of my unit 40 Field, 37 Reg, Osnabruck are still alive, which is sad
Regards Sapper
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 19:56

Time waits for nobody, us included, and I've often wondered who among us has joined the "advance party". I occasionally see posts from Hardrations and a few others, but a lot of people have either kept silent because they have nothing more to talk about, or have moved on.
When that great day arrives when I have nothing Sunray wants me to do around the house and yard I'll start going through the lists to pick out the ones maintaining radio silence. I wish there was a way (maybe there is) we could place an asterisk beside the departed because we certainly don't want to delete them. Not only would we would lose their posts forever, but it seems to me to be a rather unkind way to discard them, rather than honouring their memories.
As a matter of interest, my regimental association executives have begun hinting about a future curtailment of our reunions as well as possibly closing things down totally. In my case, I know of only five of my former Recce Platoon comrades, including me, who are still living, which tends to make me apprehensive. (Whose next???)
Meanwhile, it's great to see us who could be called "the few" still breathing. Personally, I plan to be around for quite a few years.
Cheers.
Roderick MacIntosh (Recce83)
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime18/4/2022, 17:24

Well, I'm glad to see that some of you are still here.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime18/4/2022, 20:35

Well, I got to the end of page 5 (with over 60 to go) and found about three of the people we used to hear from, but have been silent for a while. Hello Ciphers, Jimsigs, and JPW, are you still here?
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime19/4/2022, 00:04

JPW has voluntarily withdrawn

Shelldrake stopped communicating suddenly in October 2019

I have had 3 identities following changes of equipment or being ditched for incorrect password - but under the two previous IDs there were several contributions that may have impacts if deleted.

wonder how gmail.com and others deal with empty address holders.

Last edited by Pborn4 on 19/4/2022, 13:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : privacy)
Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

Number of posts : 136
Cap Badge : The Royal Canadian Regiment
Places Served : 1977-80, London ON, Gagetown NB
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime20/4/2022, 01:58

I keep watch for topics of interest although I don't post much if at all.

It's still a great forum though. Lots of great information.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 13
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Hamm, Celle, Steyerberg, Hohne
Registration date : 2021-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime21/4/2022, 01:44

I'm still around and  I also keep watch for topics of interest, but I've already posted most of what I recall from nearly 50 years ago. It's a great site and forum but the welcome and home pages seriously need updating - is anyone actually maintaining them?
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime24/4/2022, 03:32

Hi Celle 1974 (RCT) - the original webmaster left this site some years ago. There are parts that no one can get into (passwords not passed on) in the main site - www.baor-locations.org and the framework around this forum (bfg-locations.editboard.com) as much as we would love to update the Welcome and Home page to note more than 75 years presence in Germany it is not to be,
But the Forum functions and serves a purpose! It attracts interest and answers questions (some answers are personal and are made by direct private messages), we have wide ranging contributors - not just from former BAOR members and those nations that contributed to the mission (US, CA, DK, DE, ES, FR, NL, NO, PO) and one or Russian observers.
A recent (internal) survey has shown that there are 60 pages of people who have logged into the site, 1451 people have logged and observed without a contribution, as many again have contributed a comment, a story, a reply or links to sites with more info. Sometime one of the members might go through the entries to see which reference links have now become defunct - the link goes nowhere.
At one time photos were stored on a secondary site and a link was attached in the text - unfortunately the third party site changed its rules and sought payment for storage and for access. Much of the historical record was lost. In the buttons at the head of this message page offers the opportunity to "insert an image" from your hard disc to these subject areas - experiment, you will not wipe out your hard disc record!

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 13
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Hamm, Celle, Steyerberg, Hohne
Registration date : 2021-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime24/4/2022, 10:26

Pborn4 wrote:
Hi Celle 1974 (RCT) -  the original webmaster left this site some years ago.  
Hi Pborn4, I guessed as much; hope he is still alive though, the site is a brilliant initiative. Looks like I discovered it far too late in life. I originally came across it when doing a Google search for camps in the Nienburg area, so I submitted background on Helena Camp in Steyerberg.

I know my way round phpBB forums very well - I manage a few - but without passwords or a telephone number to recover lost logins to associated pages, it's not possible. What is possible is to download the entire welcome and intro pages with a site-sucker app and recreate them on another server. They can then be edited and updated.

If it happens again, let me know. I have my own server and will probably be around for a few years more. I would gladly host the pages for free but I would not have time to maintain them. I would of course provide all the details for sftp access and if I do pop my clogs at least the data will not get lost, contingencies exist if I do get run over in the Thai traffic.

Pborn4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

Number of posts : 89
Cap Badge : QRIH/UDR
Places Served : NI, GB, BAOR
Registration date : 2013-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime1/5/2022, 18:23

I've just been up to my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 02:38

There is more to this site than the forum - there is a link here to the old original BAOR site (I have found that going via google or  SIMILAR, even offers me ownership of the site name (with no content) or an offer to buy strange eastern oriental ladies stories . . .

At the head of the forum opening page there is a link to  
https://www.baor-locations.org/Home.aspx.html

which drag you off to find lots more information about places, people, units, formations, rites of passage, steam train journeys  and so on
have  a feeling that someone from Boris' helpers has been having a look too - as PLan X is to shed 91,000 civil servant posts (probably hoping no slots in to which Cummins interlopers might crawl)

written more than 12 years ago the joke remains topical:
https://www.baor-locations.org/ModCivil.aspx.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hands up those of you who are still breathing.   Hands up those of you who are still breathing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hands up those of you who are still breathing.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: