BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
BOBC Norway Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

BOBC Norway

Go down 
+8
Pete G
Brian Roberts
jim
Mike_2817
Phlegmwahn
malaboman
steve jones
Wilf
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime25/10/2008, 08:48

Anyone familiar with BOBC Norway?

(FYI it's in southern Norway, north of Kristansand by a small town called Evje)

I did a general mountaineering course there in 1978. First time (the only time) I've ever been thrown off a cliff on a stretcher (simulated casualty) or experienced whiteout conditions. We once stopped for a brew on a mountain ridge and as we looked down into the valley below us we watched thousands of reindeer being rounded up by helicopters, an incredible sight. I always intended to put my name down for another course but for some reason never quite got around to it.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime25/11/2008, 08:17

I did two trips to BOBC, both canoeing, one in summer when it was the hottest place i had ever been, and once in winter when it was freezing cold. great place though, loved it
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime28/11/2008, 11:13

When we arrived at Kristiansand the climbers and canoeists were split up and went there seperate ways, a fortnight later after the course we all met up again at Kristiansand to get the ferry back to Denmark. The canoeists all had blistered hands, I remember thinking...mental note, stick to climbing!
Back to top Go down
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime13/7/2009, 15:53

Yes, a bunch of us went in the 60s, not sure of date. the centre was then along the coast East of Kristiansand. I selected walking/map reading rather than the water sports, I hate cold water!
With the "assistance" of our leader, a young 2 Lt from the SCLI we outwitted the DS for the whole two weeks and had a fabulous time holed up in a small town. Full details will be given if anyone is interested, at a later date. We had FUN FUN FUN.
Back to top Go down
Phlegmwahn
Sgt
Sgt
Phlegmwahn

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : Paderborn, London, Rheindahlen, Dhekelia, Laarbruch, Brunssum, Hannover, Minden, Bulford, London
Registration date : 2008-11-22

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 19:43

Ah wis conned!
I applied for and was successful on gaining a place on a 'Downhill Ski Course' It was January 1978. It wasn't until after a 30 hour cross country train, coach and boat ride did I arrive to find I was on a Langlauf course!
I wasn't prepared for the physical effort required to run cross country, through thick snow, with a pair of planks strapped to my feet!
I did pass - just; but I did go on to do more skiing, both Downhill and Langlauf and enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 21:19

Did two outward bound courses in Norway, One a Canoing/Walking - A walking up & down hills followed by a week canoing up and down the fiord's back towards base.

Thing I remember was that all the vehicles were painted Dark Blue (even the assault boats) with BFG number plates.

Second time was a winter skiing course.

PLUS 2 Winter Exercises with AMF(L) which were not 'Adventure Training' but fun never the less.

Could never understand why BOBC Norway tried so hard to be neutral when Norway was a member of NATO, and we carried out a major Arctic exercises in the country every year?

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 11:00

Never had the luck to do that, wish I had.
Back to top Go down
Brian Roberts
Sgt
Sgt
Brian Roberts

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : BAOR, Norway NI Belize ,Malaya, Hong kong ,BOBC Norway, Nuneton , Taunton , Woolwich ,Tidworth,, Worthy Down, Aldershot
Registration date : 2008-03-26

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime27/10/2010, 20:46

Hi I was a member of BOBC first as the centre Medic and stand by saftey boat crew for the sea canoeing and inland water caneoing in winter I was up country to the winter centre, for the Xcountry ski-ing and as part of BAMSA a Norwegian highlevel ski expedition which was a 3 day drive to north Norway then a 7-8 day ski-ing back to Hovden via Eidsburgarden, Sulebu, Bjordalsbu and a few more . It was a tri service event we had 3 WRENS but only one finished the course.
I would be interested to hear if it is still there under an other name, the reason that we wore blue shirts and trousers and the transport were blue was the far right of the locals who said we trained the Special forces of NATO so the joint decisison BAOR/Norway was that did not have any military kit in the camps, the only military item student were aloud to bring was the Maggot (sleeping Bag).
I hope that helps

Brian
Back to top Go down
Pete G
LCpl
LCpl
Pete G

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : Reme
Places Served : AAC Carlisle,Bordon, Osnabruck,Werl,NI, Werl, NI,Werl, Lippstadt,NI, Lippstadt,NI,Lippstadt & Aborfield.
Registration date : 2011-12-31

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime7/5/2012, 07:47

Hi, I did a course there in 77 and we did the rock climbing, abseiling, orienteering, river crossing and hill/mountain walking.
I recall the full screw instructor trying to walk the legs off us on one occasion only to discover me sticking doggedly to his heels. In the end he admitted defeat and asked me to take a different track from him as he needed some "space".
I didn't tell him I had been brought up to go Grouse beating in the north east of Scotland from a young age and found his pace easy to keep up with. Smile
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime7/5/2012, 23:58

I remember we all got off the boat, Fred Olssen ferries, in Kristiansand, and into trucks and off to the centre, which was at a place called Isafieur (bad spelling, it means Ice feather). on arrival everyone on the canoe course had to drop their bags, find a pair of trunks, and go jump off a cliff and into the fjord, swim round the point and back to shore. if you failed you were put back on the return ferry. One of the boys almost drowned, he was half pissed, when asked why he had come on an anvanced canoe course when he couldnt swim, he said canoeing !!! I came to do mountain climbing !!!!

we did some serious white water up country and boy was it cold. i remember getting up in the morning, putting on a frozen wet suit and then pissing in it. warmest you were going to feel all day !!!
Back to top Go down
pugofcrydee
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : JLR,2ADTR(33,HQ sqn) GOC driver Münster.BOBC Silberhütte, BOBC Norway, 68 SQN, 25 liason HQ 1 GE Korps,
Registration date : 2012-11-09

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime11/11/2012, 13:18

servant here as mt nco Gautestad.. had a great time.. did mtn rock climber course HS.. cant understand that Isafjær's a Nudist camp now..lol... cheers
Back to top Go down
starlight4092
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-03-13

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Craig Dunwell Medic BMTC 1988-1992    BOBC Norway Icon_minitime13/3/2022, 13:58

Brian Roberts wrote:
Hi I was a member of BOBC first as the centre Medic and stand by saftey boat crew for the sea canoeing and inland water caneoing in winter I was up country to the winter centre, for the Xcountry ski-ing and as part of BAMSA  a Norwegian highlevel ski expedition which was a 3 day drive to north Norway then a 7-8 day ski-ing  back to Hovden via Eidsburgarden, Sulebu, Bjordalsbu and a few more . It was a tri service event we had 3 WRENS but only one finished the course.
I would be interested to hear if it is still there under an other name, the reason that we wore blue shirts and trousers and the transport were blue was the far right of the locals who said we trained the Special forces of NATO so the joint decisison BAOR/Norway was that did not have any military kit in the camps, the only military item student were aloud to bring was the Maggot (sleeping Bag).
I hope that helps

Brian

Hi, Brian I was Medic for BMTC 1988- 1992.
During WW2 Britain looked after the Norwegean Royal Family and Government. It was as a thank you for this that BOBC later BMTC was allowed to exist. Norway doesn't allow for foreign troops to be permanently stationed in country. Foreign troops are allowed as you know to carry out winter warfare courses for part of the year only. BMTC was the only exception to this rule and were allowed to be permanently based  in Norway provided we de-militarised ourselves; no guns ,salutes, first name terms, blue vehicles with red stripe etc... hope this clears things up. Kind regards Craig
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime13/3/2022, 15:13

Nice to hear something new on the site!

Thxs
Alan

Back to top Go down
Seanlions
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2022-03-28

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Served BMTC   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 11:31

starlight4092 wrote:
Brian Roberts wrote:
Hi I was a member of BOBC first as the centre Medic and stand by saftey boat crew for the sea canoeing and inland water caneoing in winter I was up country to the winter centre, for the Xcountry ski-ing and as part of BAMSA  a Norwegian highlevel ski expedition which was a 3 day drive to north Norway then a 7-8 day ski-ing  back to Hovden via Eidsburgarden, Sulebu, Bjordalsbu and a few more . It was a tri service event we had 3 WRENS but only one finished the course.
I hope that helps

Brian

Hi, Brian I was Medic for BMTC 1988- 1992.
During WW2 Britain looked after the Norwegean Royal Family and Government. It was as a thank you for this that BOBC later BMTC was allowed to exist. Norway doesn't allow for foreign troops to be permanently stationed in country. Foreign troops are allowed as you know to carry out winter warfare courses for part of the year only. BMTC was the only exception to this rule and were allowed to be permanently based  in Norway provided we de-militarised ourselves; no guns ,salutes, first name terms, blue vehicles with red stripe etc... hope this clears things up. Kind regards Craig

Hello Craig
I served at BMTC in April to September '89.
Along with Geordie Cranny.
Regards Sean

starlight4092 likes this post

Back to top Go down
starlight4092
LCpl
LCpl

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 12:15

Hi Sean, was you based in Isefjær Fjorden? Isefjær was the headquarter element of BMTC on the south coast; east of Kristiansand? I lived in Evje and worked up in the mountain wing at Gauterstad. Gauterstad overlooked a big lake called Høveringsvatnet and was 14 kilometers from the Village. My son, daughter and grand kids still live in Evje. Not sure if I remember you. What's your surname? All the best.
Back to top Go down
Seanlions
LCpl
LCpl

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 19:17

Yes. My name is Sean Wright BOBC Norway Fb_img10
Back to top Go down
Seanlions
LCpl
LCpl

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime28/3/2022, 19:20

Yes, in the fact we at the HQ element. I'm in 3rd row from bottom, 2nd in from the right
Back to top Go down
starlight4092
LCpl
LCpl

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime29/3/2022, 08:54

I remember you now Sean lol! That photo has brought back a lot of memories. Happy days. 😊
Back to top Go down
starlight4092
LCpl
LCpl

BOBC Norway Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOBC Norway   BOBC Norway Icon_minitime29/3/2022, 09:00

There are somany names I've forgotten.
Back to top Go down
Seanlions
LCpl