BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RAF Oldenburg

Go down 
+13
Foto2TAF
Steve.L
Shelldrake
bandsman
Amandabrook
cartav
brum
Gerry
Mike_2817
JPW
trevor.parry
johnrc
Paul
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Archie
Sgt
Sgt
Archie

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn (twice), Gütersloh (thrice!), Belize, Canada, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2008-05-04

RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/9/2014, 20:18

Thanks for the information JPW. I will definitely stop for a look next time I'm up that way.

Back on topic: http://www.fliegerhorst-oldenburg.de/pdf/fliegerhorst2.pdf
Back to top Go down
Steve.L
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 21
Cap Badge : R. Signals
Places Served : Birgelin, Langeleben, Singapore, Borneo,Brunei
Registration date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/9/2014, 08:37

Reichswald Forest Cemetery is in Germany, near the town of Kleve and is very close to the Dutch border. There are 705 Canadian dead commemorated there. whether the bodies are there or just the headstones I don't know.

I would be very interested to learn the name of the C.W.G.C. cemetery near Ahlhorn. I should then be able to trace the names of those buried there and can then also trace post war .R.A.F. casualties for anyone interested.
Back to top Go down
Steve.L
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/9/2014, 08:51

I think the cemetery is at Sage with 791 WW2 dead commemorated (Army and Air force) of which 122 are Canadians. Post WW2 casualties, after 31 December 1945 are not covered by Commonwealth War Graves Commission but by R.A.F. Casualties Branch (where I worked for a time prior to the establishment of the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffs.)
Back to top Go down
Foto2TAF
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-08-04

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/9/2014, 13:01

Re: Above comments..... There was a flying accident at RAF Oldenburg c.1956.   I was the duty photographer and was sent to photograph the scene for the subsequent enquiry.  I was also part of the Guard of Honour which fired the salute at the funeral which was held at Hanover.
Back to top Go down
Steve.L
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/9/2014, 14:24

I think this must have been the accident on 22nd October 1955 when a Hunter F4, WV271, from Jever, which had landed u/s some days earlier, took off to return to Jever. It was reported to have climbed steeply then returned to the circuit and executed a roll to starboard. It commenced a second roll but the nose dropped when the aircraft became inverted and it dived into the ground. The Sergeant pilot was killed in the impact.

There was a previous accident in 1955:

Canadair Sabre F4 (F-86E)
Owner/operator: Royal Air Force (RAF)
C/n / msn:
Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities: 0
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Phase:
Nature: Military
Departure airport: RAF Oldenburg
Destination airport:
Narrative:
Fell to the ground after take-off. Pilot ejected but killed when struck the tail.

and one 16th August 1955:

Owner/operator: Royal Air Force (RAF)
C/n / msn: 562
Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities: 0
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Phase: Manoeuvring (airshow, firefighting, ag.ops.)
Nature: Military
Departure airport: RAF Oldenburg
Destination airport:
Narrative:
Stalled when pulling up from attack run.

Back to top Go down
Archie
Sgt
Sgt
Archie

Number of posts : 25
Places Served : Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn (twice), Gütersloh (thrice!), Belize, Canada, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/9/2014, 16:54

Steve you're right - it is Sage near the village of Großenkneten between Alhorn and Oldenburg. From what I've seen in passing it looks very well maintained.
Back to top Go down
Foto2TAF
Private
Private

Registration date : 2014-08-04

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/9/2014, 17:40

Steve.L : The crash I photographed was when a Hunter F4, piloted by a Flt. Lieutenant, took off from Oldenburg with another Hunter (in a pair). They were going to another airfield, (could have been Jever or Ahlhorn) at a Saturday lunchtime. The Hunter from O'burg turned to starboard at lift-off and hit his wingtip on the ground. The aircraft cart-wheeled and disintegrated in flames.
Back to top Go down
Steve.L
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/9/2014, 08:07

Hi Foto2TAF:

I regret I cannot find any more information on the databases regarding a Hunter F4 with a FltLt pilot. The 22nd October incident was a Saturday and the suggestion is that there were two 4 Squadron F4s but only one involved in an incident. the accident 'description' is from witnesses and included in the accident report as 'narrative evidence' rather than 'fact'. Otherwise your account is similar to the accident report. sorry I cannot trace anything more conclusive from the accident logs or the burials at Hanover Military Cemetery.
Back to top Go down
Ginrois
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-10-27

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/10/2014, 16:41

Hello,

I'm living in Oldenburg and I'm looking for Information to find my Grandfather. He was station in Oldenburg/Airfield/Fliegerhorst in 1945. I'm thinking his unit was the "Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers". My Dad Günter was born in June 1946. My Grandmothers name was called Hildburg Keller.

I would be very happy if I could get information about the names of the deployed unit. Any information would also make me very far in my search.

Regards,
André
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/10/2014, 19:53

Andre

Herzlich wilkommen

With the very significant assistance of the Canadian and other contributors to this site I am currently researching and recording details of the British and Canadian presence in Oldenburg from May 1945 to Autumn 1947.

The Stadt had been captured by the Canadian 2nd Infantry Division in late April 1945 but the Canadian 4th Armoured Division reinforced by a British Artillery Brigade formed the first Occupation Troops in the Stadt. In July 1945 the Canadian 3rd Infantry Division (CAOF (Canadian Army Occupation Force)) took over overall command.The Luftwaffe Alexanderfelt Airfield (known to the British/Canadians as Alexander Field) had been severely damaged by bombing and in the capture of the Stadt. Apart from light aircraft it was regarded as non operational by the RAF/RCAF.

It was therefore developed as a major logistic supply base by the Canadians in particular for the resupply of the entire Canadian Division who were deployed along the coastal area stretching from the Dutch border at Leer to the Weser estuary at Varel at this time. Elsewhere in the town the British Artillery Brigade were responsible and set up there own logistic system.

There were two large REME units in Oldenburg at this time

a. The Canadian Divisional Troops Workshop RCEME based at the Airfield and

b. The British 4 Artillery Group Royal Artillery (4AGRA) Workshop REME based in the FLAK Kaserne in the centre of town.

To complicate matters many of the other units in Oldenburg would have had a small team of REME or RCEME tradesmen to carry out simple quick repairs on unit equipment removing the need to send the item back to the larger workshop where ever possible. I am afraid it will be virtually impossible to identify your great grandfather's unit as I doubt whether any list of unit personnel exist now

I hope this information is helpful
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/10/2014, 09:43

Andre

Forgot to mention that I believe 4 AGRA Workshop was located in what you would know as Donnerschwee Kaserne
Back to top Go down
Ginrois
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-10-27

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/10/2014, 09:09

Hi JPW,

first of all I want to thank you very much for your quick and detailed response also with you.

Me very aware that I stand with my desire very much in the fog. I research page already years. Not very intense, but as soon as I find time, I am researching other options.

I myself was born and raised in Donnerwee district. Therefore I also have some relation to Donnerschweer barracks. This was indeed konipiert for air defense. Meanwhile, there is no military operation and will be privatized in the future.

I think that could be the unit circle of my grandfather in logic a bit actually, since he was among the first troops that were stationed at the airbase. My grandmother lived near the airport. The place is called "oven". So directly from the two Airport.

Is there an archive in England, this has records, what soldier was when and where explicitly used in Germany, in Oldenburg?

regards,
André

regards,
André
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/10/2014, 09:35

Andre

Glad to be of help

Canadian units were the first troops to be based in Ofen in May 1945.

My source documents are the War Diaries for the various units based in Oldenburg throughout 1945/1946 which are held in the British National Archives in Kew in London. Unfortunately they do not have lists of the individual soldiers serving with a unit at any particular time.

There is one other possibility but this will depend very much on what personnel details you know about your grandfather. I will contact you privately to see if this is possible
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/12/2016, 14:12

Oldenburg: Air Base
For historical information only, do not use for navigation or aviation purposes!
Coordinates: N531049 E0080939 (WGS84) Google Maps
Elevation: 40'
Location Indicator: EDNO (1990)
Operator: Luftwaffe / German Airforce
Use during the Cold War
Used by RAF until 1957, thereafter German Airforce airbase.
Current use
Closed.
Runways
Data for the year 1990:
10/28: 2118 m x 30 m Concrete

Google this:     mil-airfields.de/germany/oldenburg-airbase.html
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/3/2019, 01:10

Fliegerhorst Oldenburg now being redevelopped and USAAF UXB turned up (Jan 2019) :

https://www.oldenburg.de/startseite/leben-wohnen/planen-bauen/fliegerhorst/neue-infrastruktur-fuer-den-stadtteil.html
Back to top Go down
bandsman
Private
Private

Cap Badge : Corporal in RAF
Places Served : Melksham, Oldenburg, Alhorn, Javer and Gutersloh
Registration date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/3/2020, 22:32

RAF Oldenburg seems to have died, or perhaps the old servicemen have.
In answer to Jerry's request I have found some photos of Hunters on the airfield and also Sabres with German Maltees Cross like markings.
After a marathon digitizing of thousand of negatives I finally came across the Hunter Mk7 of 14 Squadron. As 14 squn were the last to leave Oldenburg I took these photos of the Sabres when they arrived. By this time the German airforce had taken over the camp and all the duties including guard duty and fire picket.
So Sorry about the time laps, but better late than never
Ps I can only upload 3 pics at a time so I will do another entry for 3 more
Back to top Go down
hamilton mcculloch
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-04-25

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/4/2022, 15:49

Gerry wrote:
Hello Trevor, and all previous writers on the subject of RAF Oldenburg.

I was a child at Oldenburg between 1954 and 1957 after which we moved to Goch.  Since 1980 I have been back to the city of Oldenburg every year for holidays and festivals; the last time being January this year.  At each visit I made a special tour of the airfield (and the married quarters where we lived), and have photographs of its demise through those years.  
The base was returned to the Luftwaffe in 1959 where first F86 Sabres, then Fiat G91s, and finally Alphajets operated from, before it finally closed.  
At my last visit this year the buildings, control tower, hangars and all the rest of the make up of the base was as I remembered it from the 50s, except that the swimming pool was empty and in a terrible state.  And the cinema was still there.
The reason for its closure was that the city of Oldenburg has expanded so far that it has swamped the area around the base and it is too dangerous to operate as an airfield.
Incidentally, the hospital at Rostrup has also been closed down and both it and the airfield are in the process of being sold off to private concerns.
I have a lot of information about the base and I have acquaintances in Oldenburg who act as my guide whenever I visit the city.  One of them lives near to Ahlhorn, where I also have visited but there is no history for me there.
I would appreciate seeing any photographs that you may have of the base in the 50s, and I would love to have access to records of aircraft movements as I have a few unanswered questions about various aircraft I remember from the base.
I particularly want to know what the visit of a large number of Canberras was about. I remember them being parked all over the airfield and their departure was quite spectacular (at least to this child!).   I also remember a Royal Visit - I think it was the Duke of Edinburgh.

Best wishes.

I also was a child at Oldenburg at the same time as you, my father was lance corporal Archie MacCulloch who worked on the electrical/electronics on the hunters and is still living at the grand old age of 92.

I will speak to him tonight and see if he still has the photos that I have seen and also get any info, such as the married quarters you mentioned, I remember a Welshman lived at the end house on our street who we sometimes had evening tea with. Hopefully I can get the photos and share with the forum.

best wishes

Pborn4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gerry
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-16

PostSubject: Hello Mr McCulloch   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/5/2022, 00:10

hamilton mcculloch wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Hello Trevor, and all previous writers on the subject of RAF Oldenburg.

I was a child at Oldenburg between 1954 and 1957 after which we moved to Goch.  Since 1980 I have been back to the city of Oldenburg every year for holidays and festivals; the last time being January this year.  At each visit I made a special tour of the airfield (and the married quarters where we lived), and have photographs of its demise through those years.  
The base was returned to the Luftwaffe in 1959 where first F86 Sabres, then Fiat G91s, and finally Alphajets operated from, before it finally closed.  
At my last visit this year the buildings, control tower, hangars and all the rest of the make up of the base was as I remembered it from the 50s, except that the swimming pool was empty and in a terrible state.  And the cinema was still there.
The reason for its closure was that the city of Oldenburg has expanded so far that it has swamped the area around the base and it is too dangerous to operate as an airfield.
Incidentally, the hospital at Rostrup has also been closed down and both it and the airfield are in the process of being sold off to private concerns.
I have a lot of information about the base and I have acquaintances in Oldenburg who act as my guide whenever I visit the city.  One of them lives near to Ahlhorn, where I also have visited but there is no history for me there.
I would appreciate seeing any photographs that you may have of the base in the 50s, and I would love to have access to records of aircraft movements as I have a few unanswered questions about various aircraft I remember from the base.
I particularly want to know what the visit of a large number of Canberras was about. I remember them being parked all over the airfield and their departure was quite spectacular (at least to this child!).   I also remember a Royal Visit - I think it was the Duke of Edinburgh.

Best wishes.

I also was a child at Oldenburg at the same time as you, my father was lance corporal Archie MacCulloch who worked on the electrical/electronics on the hunters and is still living at the grand old age of 92.

I will speak to him tonight and see if he still has the photos that I have seen and also get any info, such as the married quarters you mentioned, I remember a Welshman lived at the end house on our street who we sometimes had evening tea with. Hopefully I can get the photos and share with the forum.

best wishes

Hello Mr McCulloch

I have just returned to the website and read your message.  I am still interested in all things to do with RAF Oldenburg and would really like to see any photographs your father might still have.     I would be interested to know where you and your family lived in AMQ.  I lived in Moliere Strasse and have re-visited the street a couple of years ago.  If you lived in that complex you may remember the paddling pool in the playground between the houses and the base.  The paddling pool has now been filled with concrete.   Beats having to clean it out regularly!
I have also visited the base itself.  Not a pretty sight now, I dare say.  Swimming pool and cinema have been left to rot.  I don't think anyone is to blame really, but time was not on its side.  There was a Museum on the base dedicated to its history and, for a time, the Me163 (transferred from St. Athan) took pride of place.  When the museum had to close the Me163 was transferred to Gatow where it takes a special position in the museum there.   I would like to say that I joined with a couple of Luftwaffe pilots in the 1980's and, with my contacts in the RAF, we persuaded the RAF and the Luftwaffe to accept a transfer of the rocket plane to the Luftwaffe.   The reasoning here was: Bad Zwischenahn was the base from which the Me163 first flew and JG400 was the Squadron which trained the first pilots.  The German Commander of JG400 was Wolfgang Spaete, who now lived in Edewecht, (near Oldenburg) and was a member of the Museum committee.   Bad Zwischenahn is "just down the road" from Oldenburg.

On a different subject, I have been contacted by a German teacher who is currently exploring the history of the British Forces school in Oldenburg.  I went to that school - at the Floetenteich - and she is wishing to produce a historical project of the school which is now a major school in the town.  The school provided for the children of RAF and Army personnel and this German teacher is wishing to contact anyone who can provide historical facts and/or photographs.

I would be very happy to correspond with you privately but I will leave that option open to you.

Best wishes,  Gerry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAF Oldenburg   RAF Oldenburg - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAF Oldenburg
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2