BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 72 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Why don't we?

Go down 
+15
wrinkles
GMAG
Stephen Lock
Hardrations
ciphers
mjm34
Gwynno
dandc
Archie
donald
nobby clark
bob
colin
graham wright
Teabag
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Why don't we? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 11:27

Oh yes,bulk rubbish.
Germany in the 60s and 70s had no real second hand market,so when the Germans had their bulk rubbish days,you would see squaddies casualy inspecting the goods put out,many a serviceable fridge found its way to a quarter for use as a beer fridge in the summer,those were the days.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 16:48

dandc wrote:
stephen,you arn,t confusing jaegermister with underberg are you small bottles wraped in brown paper,supposed to be a hangover cure.
Stephen is right about Jagermeister becoming popular here in Canada. Remember how every street car (tram if you will) and bus had the Jagermeister ad plastered down the entire side of the vehicle?

Interestingly enough, I was in a Halifax pub two weeks ago and noticed the bartender pouring several Jagermeisters. She confirmed that it's getting very popular. Sure took a long time to catch on here though. Never tasted the stuff myself (which is unusual).

As it was explained to me, the word 'schnapps' isn't a formal name for any particular liquor in Germany. I gather it's sort of an equivalent to us calling it 'booze', but I'll probably be corrected on this before the day is out.

Next toRatziputz I would say Steinhager was the roughest of them all.

You can buy Underberg in delis here in Canada by the way. Speaking of which...remember the Underberg blimp that used to fly around?

Yes...those were the great days!!!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 22:55

I'd quite forgotten about bulk rubbish days...again, when we lived in Soest an antique shop opened up (probably not by a German, they just didn't think in those terms, at least your average worker certainly didn't nor did the middleclass...all that stuff that belonged to Grandma...old stuff when "new" was what was wanted, so out it went!) and quickly went broke.

I also remember our landlady in Soest (Frau Elizabeth of the Sally Ann) hauling out these beautiful sideboards and such with marble tops and smashing them so she could use the marble as stepping stones in her garden!! It nearly killed my mother LOL

Canadians also would drive around, checking out the bulk rubbish and "rescuing" some nice pieces here and there. The Germans probably thought we were mad, or broke LOL

Perhaps that is where I picked up my tendency to dumpster dive (well, more so in my younger days). I had some very cool stuff as a result; a couple of paintings, a chair or two, a neat 1950's era vinyl chair with curved aluminum arms very "mid-century Modern." My partner used to just cringe when I hauled something home....too bad! I managed to furnish, and nicely furnish, an entire household from such items as well as stuff my Mom left me. Never had to buy a damn stick of furniture ever. Okay, one bookcase, that was it! And that I bought off a friend.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 23:01

recce83 wrote:
dandc wrote:
stephen,you arn,t confusing jaegermister with underberg are you small bottles wraped in brown paper,supposed to be a hangover cure.
Stephen is right about Jagermeister becoming popular here in Canada. Remember how every street car (tram if you will) and bus had the Jagermeister ad plastered down the entire side of the vehicle?

Interestingly enough, I was in a Halifax pub two weeks ago and noticed the bartender pouring several Jagermeisters. She confirmed that it's getting very popular. Sure took a long time to catch on here though. Never tasted the stuff myself (which is unusual).

As it was explained to me, the word 'schnapps' isn't a formal name for any particular liquor in Germany. I gather it's sort of an equivalent to us calling it 'booze', but I'll probably be corrected on this before the day is out.

Next toRatziputz I would say Steinhager was the roughest of them all.

You can buy Underberg in delis here in Canada by the way. Speaking of which...remember the Underberg blimp that used to fly around?

Yes...those were the great days!!!

I absolutely remember huge Jaegermeister ads on the side of every tram in every city we ever visited. I don't know if they still do that. It was so much a part of the landscape, I still get nostalgic when I see an old photo of such trams/buses or even an ad now for Jaegermeister.

It quite makes sense that "schnapps" was sort of a generic term for certain types of liquor.

Steinhager!! Again, that jigged my memory. Potent stuff!

Getting back to the Korn...I remember my German buddy, Juergen, ordering me a DobbleKorn and insisting, in that typically Teutonic way he had, that I try it. YIKES!!! My gullet still has scar tissue, I'm sure. LIghter fluid, cat piss, take yer pick! LOL
Back to top Go down
GMAG
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/7/2009, 23:54

Schnaps in German-speaking regions
German Schnaps is clear, colorless, and has a light fruit flavor. It is distilled from fermented fruit, is bottled with no added sugar, and normally contains about 40% ABV (80 proof). Its appearance and taste are the same as that of eau-de-vie, but this French term is seldom used in German-speaking countries. In Austria, Switzerland, and southern Germany, these beverages are commonly called Obstler (from the German Obst, fruit).[3] Obstler are associated with the southern part of the German language area; equivalent beverages exist all over central and southeastern Europe. In northern Germany, almost all traditional distilled beverages are grain-based.

A broader definition of Schnaps includes other German-made spirits such as Korn, Kümmel, Steinhäger (German gin), Jägermeister, and generally any distilled beverage.

The main kinds of fruit used for German Schnaps are apples, pears, plums, and cherries — listed here in order from the least expensive to the most. Apricot is another popular fruit that is often used in Austrian Schnaps (Marillenschnaps). Fruits other than these five kinds are rarely used for German Schnaps.

Apples are usually used together with pears for Obstwasser; pears alone are used to produce Williamsbirne. Plums make Zwetschgenwasser, and cherries make Kirschwasser.

A raspberry-flavored spirit called Himbeergeist is also a Schnaps, although it is not produced by means of fermenting raspberries, which are too low in sugars. Instead high quality triple distilled alcohol is allowed to infuse with mashed fresh rasperries for some days, whereupon a low pressure, low temperature distillation captures a spirit with remarkable freshness and aromatics of the fresh fruit, in an eau de vie format.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime29/7/2009, 20:35

Excellent, GMAG...funny how when someone supplies additional info (in this case how 'schnapps' is a distilled drink from 4 fruit groups as you mentioned) the memories all fall into place and we realize, of course we knew that! We'd just forgotten...or at least I had LOL.

I wasn't aware of the connection to eau de vie but then I didn't spend much time down in the regions that were influenced by the French (or were actually French territory back whenever but now German), living up in NRW all those years.

I recall Kirschwasser (and rather liked it!) and Obstwasser (not so much although it was "okay"). Kuemmel....now there's a name from the past!
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime29/7/2009, 21:52

How about 'Bommerlunder'?
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/7/2009, 06:09

...and for good measure...Schellenfeuer & Jagermeister-both herbal and both from Wolfenbßttel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why don't we?   Why don't we? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why don't we?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: