BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sennelager 1977
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitimeYesterday at 23:15 by Spike68

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:36 by SarahN

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RAPA Bad Lippspringer

Go down 
+7
bob
Nobby
ChrisP
Teabag
jim
alan8376
steve jones
11 posters
AuthorMessage
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

RAPA Bad Lippspringer Empty
PostSubject: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 06:09

I did my first freefall course at RAPA in about the mid 70's. Great place. Went on to love skydiving and ran a few schools in New Zealand. Anyone remeber the place

steve jones
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 08:29

Hi Steve,

Did my course a bit earlier than you in the late 60s. Did my 15 jumps, but was not destined to go freefall! Pete Hough, Reme, who was on the same course as me went on to better things. Did you know him?

Bob Ackerman was the Senior Instructor. Bob was well known in the parachuting world and quite a character. I wonder what he is upto nowa days?

Alan
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 09:01

The only thing I remember about Bad Lippspringe is the annual Rheine Army Horse trials Smile
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 09:01

Oh, and having to stand guard over a thunder box that was only to be used by princess Anne.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 10:12

We always did the Harrier exercises there. Used to watch the parachuting and one day there were two incidents when the main chute had to be ditched and the reserve used. Frightened the life out of me just watching.

Once one bloke landed in the trees and we had to get our liney's ladders to get him down. Coincidence, he was from our Regiment!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 11:38

Harrier exercises Teabag, we always did them from covert clearings in woods and forests, complete with mobile ski launchers
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 18:14

jim wrote:
Harrier exercises Teabag, we always did them from covert clearings in woods and forests, complete with mobile ski launchers

Never saw any ski launchers in my time. Think that was a later invention for the navy?
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 18:45

I remember the Harriers well. Used to 'hover' over our football/cricket matches just for the hell of it. The noise literally used to force you down. Like no other noise I have heard. Also had parachutists land in football/cricket matches! It was never boring at Lippspringe but it was incredibly cold at times!
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Number of posts : 79
Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 19:34

alan8376 wrote:
Hi Steve,

Did my course a bit earlier than you in the late 60s. Did my 15 jumps, but was not destined to go freefall! Pete Hough, Reme, who was on the same course as me went on to better things. Did you know him?

Bob Ackerman was the Senior Instructor. Bob was well known in the parachuting world and quite a character. I wonder what he is upto nowa days?

Alan

Pete Hough and i were on the REME Freefall team. the picture below is of my first 8 way over Lippspringe.

RAPA Bad Lippspringer 8_way_11

I spent many a great weekend at the Dropzone.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 21:32

great picture Nobby, looking at the gear, wonderhogs and baggy suits, id say what mid '80's. Seeing the golf course down below reminds me of one of my first jumps there, on a round T10, landed quite hard, did a good roll, and my arse landed smack on a golf ball. the entire cheek swelled and turned the most amazing brused yellow and purple. they used to stand me on the bar and make me drop my pants for the amusment of all. now i would look at the photo now and be more interested in the golf course. !!!
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 21:51

Tried to upload some photos taken at Bad Lippspringe in 1985 but despite several attempts I couldn't.
My wife did a one day parachute course there.It was a mixture of British wives , German civvys and some squaddies, two of them didn't turn up.There is also a video somewhere but being next to useless when it comes to computer stuff I haven't a clue how to get anything like that onto the computer..................the call sign on the little plane was G-RAPA ( as far as I can make out).
It was the week before the RASS and they were playing Polo at the far side of the airfield. The fact that there were old gravel pits filled with water didn't bother her , she was terrified of dropping in on the Polo.... affraid

Why anybody would willingly jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane is beyond me No

Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime3/9/2010, 03:04

your quite right, it was G-RAPA, the plane was a twin engined Brit Norman Islander. a local german pilot also had a small 4 slot plane there, a Dornier, but i cant remeber the model. it was a really slow climb to hight and the guy used to smoke all the time on the way up. you were glad to get out believe me.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime3/9/2010, 09:03

Teabag wrote:
jim wrote:

Never saw any ski launchers in my time. Think that was a later invention for the navy?

Oh no Teabag, we had them on land as well, they used them in short take off areas when bomb laden.
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime3/9/2010, 15:46

Rhine Army Parachute Association was still in full go in mid nineties - I did a couple of courses there and supplemented my military parachute quals with some fun ones - good all the way.....

P.S. I tasted 'Red Bull' for the first time there and never have touched the foul stuff since!
Back to top Go down
Davaidh
Cpl
Cpl
Davaidh

Number of posts : 10
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : BAOR - Sennerlager, Fallingbostel. Bulford, Northern Ireland, Canada, Cyprus (Served 1972 - 1976)
Registration date : 2014-09-18

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime18/9/2014, 19:30

This is interesting, Hi Alan 8376,

I knew Bob Ackerman, nice guy and completely off his head !!!! I jumped with him a couple of times in the early seventies. (He taught me).

He was RCT, (I think) got to SM and was busted, more than once.......(or was it just Staff Sarge) difficult to remember after 30 years.

When he finally left the military he opened a parachute school at Thruxton I seem to remember. He left I seem to recall because he had to. Nod Nod wink wink.

Once had wee few too many and jumped out the plane on the WO1 or 2's bike !!!!! And dropped it !!!!! In fact once jumped (after said drammie or two) without a chute at all and had to be caught up and fitted up before a soft land !!!

I would say passed on by now, maybe. Unless anyone knows different.

Aye a character as you say. Hope you pick this up as I see your thread is quite old.

Me? I always found it easier to swim than dive out of a plane. So I went on to deep sea. Now on land in deepest darkest Africa playing on gold mines......what a life.

cheers Davaidh
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime19/9/2014, 17:54

Dave did you know Barry Jeffrey he lives near me and is into model aircraft building now
Back to top Go down
Davaidh
Cpl
Cpl
Davaidh

Places Served : BAOR - Sennerlager, Fallingbostel. Bulford, Northern Ireland, Canada, Cyprus (Served 1972 - 1976)

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime19/9/2014, 18:30

Hey there, err no, but I am and always have been bad with names......sorry.
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime21/9/2014, 11:16

Barry was a rigger and instructor from 7 RHA 1973-76 then returned 1983-87 his BSPC No 1631
Back to top Go down
Davaidh
Cpl
Cpl
Davaidh

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime21/9/2014, 12:38

Hey, no sorry still don't recall him.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime22/6/2021, 16:45

For Dee Z above;  Barry Jeffery was a member of 39 Regt RA (Dempsey Barracks) and had (then in the 70s) German wife locally in Paderborn.  Parachuting was his hobby and he was lent to the Parachute Centre (Seasonally until his value as a rigger and designerwas recognised) was part of the Regt's contribution to Garrison Support.  (The current professional a the Golf Course also came from 39. (I still haven't caught up with Barry)
Alas Joint Service Parachute Centre (Lippspringe)/RAPA is no more, these films from  Youtube may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmWDERB9ooQ    RAPA 2018 closed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIqTf7z-MU            RAPA active

Pborn4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAPA Bad Lippspringer   RAPA Bad Lippspringer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAPA Bad Lippspringer
Page 1 of 1