BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 62 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 61 Guests :: 2 Bots

Pborn4

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Reminder of Germany

Go down 
+23
mjm34
bob
TDivers
merchant6690
Shelldrake
Daveb
brum
steve jones
jimsigs1
gingerjim
Nutstrangler
Norman
Stephen Lock
TonyE
Big_Mike
donald
alan8376
Teabag
Paul
graham wright
dandc
Hardrations
blairgowrie
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
blairgowrie
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 42
Cap Badge : Red Hackle
Places Served : Cyprus, Libya, Germany, Hong Kong, UK
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Reminder of Germany Empty
PostSubject: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 09:17

Reminder of Germany RuiPalmeras31Jan2010049
Reminder of one of the good things about Germany!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 16:33

For those who served in the Iserlohn areaReminder of Germany DCP_2506
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 16:47

go on,keep rubing it in,dave.
Back to top Go down
blairgowrie
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 42
Cap Badge : Red Hackle
Places Served : Cyprus, Libya, Germany, Hong Kong, UK
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 18:24

Reminder of Germany RuiPalmeras31Jan2010019
going for a drink?
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 114
Cap Badge : naafi and efi/raoc
Places Served : baor, sardinia, saudi, benbecula and colly
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 21:35

you swine hardrations,could murder one right now and maybe a frikedelle mit senf....memories,memories.....graham.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 21:40

Hardrations wrote:
For those who served in the Iserlohn areaReminder of Germany DCP_2506

Last drop (bottle or draught) of that I had was in 1973. Couldn't even get a swig when I was over there in 2005, only passing through and driving Sad Sad

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 23:31

Nectar. Always told them to pull another before you even got a taste of the first because (quite rightly) it took so long. Seven minute beer according to a German friend. That's how long a good beer should take to be "pulled". Happy days!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 14:07

Teabag wrote:
Nectar. Always told them to pull another before you even got a taste of the first because (quite rightly) it took so long. Seven minute beer according to a German friend. That's how long a good beer should take to be "pulled". Happy days!

I was always told that it was a Pils that took 7 minutes to pull if done properly. Any how that bottle of Iserlohner was sent over to me years ago via an old army buds mother. He got out and stayed in Deilinghofen. When I was last over in 07 I brought back about 6 bottles for various old buds. They were all very pleased in sipping their own bottle. My self that bottle is still un-opened as 33 years ago I found out I was allergic to alcohol. Or as our old Staff/Sgt Clert (former RAF WW 2) told us on arriving in Germany in 64, " Lads you aren't going to drink Germany dry. I've tryed twice on two tours.". My self, I'm pretty sure I had Iserlohner Pils working over time.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 14:50

7 mins or not awaiting the foam to settle. I reckon the German way of dispensing beer was open to fiddling, especially if you were pi**ed!

Anyone know if the German Weight and Measures contol it nowadays? Is there a line on the glass?
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 15:17

Yes,there should be a line on the glass,but just for the sober!And there is an art in dispensing a good beer,and it must be at the right temperature.Over the last years I have acquired a taste for "Weissen",which is normally dished up in half litre glasses.There was nearly a revolution here when they tried to lift the import restrictions on "foreign"beer which contains preservatives.
-------
Don

"Prosit"
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 15:23

Say what you want!

There is nothing finer than a cool, German Bier served from the proper taps at a German Gasthaus.

The temperature was 'just' correct if I remember it correctly. Are they allowed to use coolers now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 15:59

Quote :
There is nothing finer than a cool, German Bier

I beg to differ...Tiger beer is far superior.although admittedly brewed by German brewmeisters drunken
Back to top Go down
Big_Mike
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Big_Mike

Number of posts : 43
Cap Badge : Royal Fusiliers, rejoined RE
Places Served : BAOR, UK, HK, Cyprus, NI
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 20:07

You don't drink that bloody stuff do you? It makes you go blind! It was good for the skin though, anyway that's what we where told, that our CO's wife bathed in 'Osnabrücker Pils'. So lads it was made for medication, no wonder that all those jocks where feeling bad one night. Laughing

Big_Mike lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.set-bit.de/start
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 20:20

What about the various schnapps (not that Jagermeister crap) but the skull cracking, stomach whooping stuff that made you stand up and pay attention. Seems to me a beer followed my schnapps so as to keep it from bouncing back up. There was obst schnapps (multi fruits apple, cherry, pear, etc) down south. Some of that stuff curled your toe nails.
Back to top Go down
Big_Mike
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Big_Mike

Number of posts : 43
Cap Badge : Royal Fusiliers, rejoined RE
Places Served : BAOR, UK, HK, Cyprus, NI
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 22:16

Ha,ha,ha. Laughing

Big_Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.set-bit.de/start
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime12/2/2010, 23:23

Hardrats,that stuff was called Obstwasserle,my landlady gave me a bottle for my birthday once,and it burned all the way down,fruit water it wasn't.Don't know how those German chimney sweeps lasted with one shot of that stuff at every house they visited.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime13/2/2010, 03:58

How I remember Iserlohner Pilsner!! But "My Beer" was, and is, Warsteiner which I can get at the local liquor store sometimes. I was thrilled when I spotted it and it tasted pretty much like I remember but of course bottled beer is different than the wonderful 7-minute draught in a stone 1/2-litre mug with a big frothy, thick-foamed head on it!!! Mmmm-mmmm!! But, hey, I am quite content to crack open a bottle of Warsteiner, pour it into a glass, close my eyes, inhale the aroma and take that first, thirst-quenching drink and imagine when, I open my eyes, I'll be sitting in my favourite gasthof in Soest...so far, that hasn't happened but hope springs eternal LOL

The schnapps....we had this conversation a few months ago. Korn and Dopplekorn (aka lighter fluid)...guaranteed to do dreadful liquid-y things to your bowels! Evil evil stuff.... Smile

A wonderfully decadent, and Mmmmmm-producing moment is combining one's favourite beer with some rich, dark, Belgian chocolate (the chocolate first, guys...then the beer). There's this explosion of flavour and a wash of absolute contentment that flows through every corpuscle of one's being. Just one or two pieces of chocolate, mind you. Marzipan works too, but the chocolate and beer is much much MUCH better.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime13/2/2010, 05:21

TonyE wrote:
Hardrats,that stuff was called Obstwasserle,my landlady gave me a bottle for my birthday once,and it burned all the way down,fruit water it wasn't.Don't know how those German chimney sweeps lasted with one shot of that stuff at every house they visited.

In my village they nicknamed it, " Panzerbezien".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime14/2/2010, 02:55

Asbach Uralt had quite a kick to it. Remembered one night in Munster we left camp about 7.45 pm, went down town to our favourite bar,and came up with the idea that anyone who spills his beer on the mat,including condensation ,buys a round of Asbach. We were back in camp at 8.30 pm ,well and truly plastered.
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/1/2011, 11:04

Asbach Uralt is a cognac Gallahad and quite a good one too. After my regular service I joined the TA and did 13 annual camps in Germany. Bringing my wife a bottle of Asbach each trip kept her sweet for weeks. I used to say 'Back to Gladbach for an Asbach'!!

When I was stationed in Hannover one of the favourite schnapps was called Steinhager. It came in a stone bottle so you never knew how much was left, often with dire consequences.

Noch ein bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down
Nutstrangler
Sgt
Sgt
Nutstrangler

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield, Malaya, Singapore, Brunei , Kuching, Bulford, Bunde, Bordon, Dhekelia, Iserlohn, Lemgo,Hameln, Zimbabwe.
Registration date : 2011-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/1/2011, 13:37

Anyone got a spare "Yellow Handbag" or two floating around? drunken
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/5/2011, 19:29

in our naafi in viersen in the 50s, all we got was carlsburg and blinking watneys brown ale, YUK mind you in the town it was all german bier. i was quite partial to a bottle or two of dortmunder, ginger
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/5/2011, 19:35

norman that steinhager stuff ,was that the stuff that had you blotto next morning just by drinking a glass of water or cup of tea, i knew many a lad ever so slightly inibriated ,after a night drinking that and a cup of tea in the cookhouse next morning, ginger
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/5/2011, 19:55

gingerjim,

It could well have been that one, although to be fair it was one of the better grades of
schnapps. Some of them were pure firewater. I remember the first night out I had in Hannover and it was the usual routine to get the new boys well and truly blotto. I was given a bier with a chaser called (if my spelling is correct) Ratzeputz. This was like liquid pepper and the game was you had to have at least six to become a 'member of the club'. It was a good job it was a Friday night as I was in bed for the whole of Saturday @ Sunday. That one really did come back at you even if you only had water to drink. The lads always referred to it as 'Rats Piss'. I will add that I never renewed my membership!!

I always stuck to.....

Noch ein bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime26/5/2011, 22:58

Herforder Bier wasn't that bad I seem to remember. Saw some in Tesco's a few months ago.

Jimsigs1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reminder of Germany
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next