BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 44 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY

Go down 
+9
Norman
donald
alan8376
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
Ian-redcap70
steve
Paul
JPW
ChrisP
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Empty
PostSubject: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime21/2/2010, 18:20

I know I can rely on you knowledgeable people. I have had an email from a German gent who rescued a VW Beetle from eastern germany. (He doesn't say where). He has restored it and has discovered from the VW Museum that it was used by the CCG in Churchill Bks, Lippstadt up to 1952. He is unsure if the markings are correct and would like some information about the vehicle (assuming his markings are close to correct). I have found some information on the web regarding CCG but not about where they were based etc. Can anyone out there help?

CCG VW2

" border="0" alt=""/>CCG VW1
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime21/2/2010, 22:32

At first sight the vehicle looks like an accurate representation of a military VW which were widely used throughout the then British Zoner of Occupation, certainly the CCG shield is similar to that used by other CCG sponsored organisations such as the Cuxhaven based German Minesweeping Organisation/Administration.

CCG was the British element of the Military Government responsible for all civilan administrative matters following the German Surrender in May 1945. At its height some 26,000 UK Civil Servants were employed, many with a military background. These steadily declined in numbers as responsibilities were gradually transferred to the embryo German departments at local, regional and nation levels as the new Federal structure of Civilian Government was developed throughout Western Germany.

HQ CCG was in Bad Salzuflen, there were Regional HQs in Dusseldorf, Hannover, Kiel and Hamburg and in the 1940s, small detachments in all the major towns throughout the British Zone

It would be interesting to note when the Beetle was built, certainly it is of the immediate post war design (small split rear windows) some of which were still in use by Station Staff Officers in the mid 60s. If it is one of the very early years it could have been produced when VW Wolfsburg was being run by a Management team of serving REME Oficers.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime21/2/2010, 23:19

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime25/2/2010, 19:45

JPW,

Can you put any meat on the bones for the precise CCG locations?

Would the HQ at Bad Salzuflen have been located in the Rathaus, perhaps?

Flash
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime25/2/2010, 19:46

Entered in error

Last edited by Claymore on 25/2/2010, 19:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Entered in error)
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 08:56

Claymore wrote:
JPW,

Can you put any meat on the bones for the precise CCG locations?

Would the HQ at Bad Salzuflen have been located in the Rathaus, perhaps?

Flash

Located with HQ BAOR Kurpark Bad Oeyhausen
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119793045/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 13:48

JPW wrote:
At first sight the vehicle looks like an accurate representation of a military VW which were widely used throughout the then British Zoner of Occupation, certainly the CCG shield is similar to that used by other CCG sponsored organisations such as the Cuxhaven based German Minesweeping Organisation/Administration.

CCG was the British element of the Military Government responsible for all civilan administrative matters following the German Surrender in May 1945. At its height some 26,000 UK Civil Servants were employed, many with a military background. These steadily declined in numbers as responsibilities were gradually transferred to the embryo German departments at local, regional and nation levels as the new Federal structure of Civilian Government was developed throughout Western Germany.

HQ CCG was in Bad Salzuflen, there were Regional HQs in Dusseldorf, Hannover, Kiel and Hamburg and in the 1940s, small detachments in all the major towns throughout the British Zone

It would be interesting to note when the Beetle was built, certainly it is of the immediate post war design (small split rear windows) some of which were still in use by Station Staff Officers in the mid 60s. If it is one of the very early years it could have been produced when VW Wolfsburg was being run by a Management team of serving REME Oficers.

Source The Beetle by Keith Seume
Maj Ivan Hurst and Capt Bryce both REME were part of the team to get the Wolfsburg factory going again 1n Aug 45 this was helped with a British military order (see below) Maj Hurst reported to Col Charles R Radclyffe CBE DSO head of light mechanical engineering in the Military Government Organisation with a HQ at Minden…hope this helps…best regards Steve (petrol head) drunken

Last edited by steve on 26/2/2010, 13:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finger trouble...see below for image)
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 13:54

111 Mil Gov Det 17 Sep 45" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 16:24

Thanks for you response, Steve.

Unfortunately, your hyperlink will not open for me. Was JPW incorrect when he stated that that HQ CCG was located at Bad Salzuflen (just SE of Herford), then? Or did it change location during its existence?

Bad O is quite a few klicks north of Bad S.

Flash.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 16:53

Steve

I have the same problem with the link

I believe the main CCG HQ was in Bad Salzuflen but a number of the senior appointments were double hatted with Senior Army Officers holding Key Post Appointments within the CCG organisation For example CinC BAOR was also The Military Governor British Zone of Occupation in the very early days This would explain the Bad Oeynhausen CCG office but I am still convinced that the main CCG HQ site was Bad Salzuflen and this is corroborated by web input in the form of individual memories.

I have a copy of the 1949 CCG Staff list which is 16 pages long but is unfortunately unsuitable for further reproduction. It does show that in 1949 in addition to the Headquarters I listed in my original contribution that within the Regional Organisation there were in 1949 large CCG offices in other centres as follows
NORD RHEIN WESTFALEN (Regional CCG HQ Dusseldorf)
Subordinate HQ
Aachen, Arnsberg, Detmold, Dusseldorf, Koln and Munster.

NEIDER SACHSEN (Regional CCG HQ Hannover)
Subordinate HQ
Brunswick,Hannover, Luneburg, Oldenburg, Osnabruck and Stade

Clearly there were fewer problems in Schleswig Holstein , everything seems to have been dealt with by the Kiel Offices

PB1963 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 17:05

Any idea of the building used as the HQ, JPW?. I don't think that there were any Kaserne in Bad S.

My guess is that they would use something like the Rathaus or one of the grander hotel buildings.

These sort of people did not believe in slumming it.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 17:23

Hi Claymore and JPW
I did not copy what was on the link but remember it was an image of a document dated 1945 clearly stating alongside HQ BAOR who were in the Kurpark Bad Oeyhausenson at that time the HQ must have moved to Bad Salzuflen later on
Best regards
Steve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime26/2/2010, 17:44

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of stuff on the subject on the web. Perhaps somebody who has first-hand knowledge will pipe up in due course.

I think it'll be worth plotting the location(s) on Google Earth as and when we get verification.

I take it that the CCG existed only while we were still in Germany as an "army of occupation".
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 19:12

This article on my website may be relevant to this thread:

http://www.redcap70.net/PatColson_VW.pdf

My wife and I visited the VW factory in 1964 and did a tour and I have some pictures somewhere which I'll try and add later.

Very interesting stuff indeed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 21:31

Hi Recap and all VW fans
Hope this works
Regards
Steve[/img]Photobucket
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 21:33

Next Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 21:34

Next Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 21:36

NextPhotobucket
Source VW A Brief Iiluustrated History
Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 21:40

Sorry 1944 to 1945 is missing Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Brian (Berlin-Brian)

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 22:05

Hi All
Here is a picture of a Käfer made by the toy company WIKING Germany

I bought this off e-bay last year,I tried to take a photo of my model but can't get the foces right. so I got this off Wikings home page,is shows a beetle from
Aurich Military Government.its a nice little model
This was a Special edition made for a VW Meeting in Hessisch Oldendorf in 2009 just down the road from were i live.

Text in German
Ein olivgrüner VW Käfer "Military Government Aurich

[img]CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY VW-Bulli-Somohinten_zoomview
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 23:09

Steve,

Thanks for digging this info out. Lots have been forgotten of the post war era.. Nice to see this brought to the attention of the forum.

'Fortschritt durch Technik!' Maybe it should say. 'Todays VW thanks to the REME and the British.''

Alan
Back to top Go down
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Brian (Berlin-Brian)

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime27/2/2010, 23:42

Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime28/2/2010, 05:57

Great Pics Srteve-how do you get them uploaded. I've tried without success?
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime28/2/2010, 07:35

redcap70 wrote:
Great Pics Srteve-how do you get them uploaded. I've tried without success?
Hi Redcap70, followed Ciphers instructions by opening an account http://photobucket.com uploaded images to an album clicked in the image then 'Share' then 'Get link code' then paste the link in 'HTML for websites and blogs' and insert in your topic or reply but only after clicking 'Image' in the box above first...hope this helps regards Steve
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime28/2/2010, 15:52

When I first arrived in Wolfenbüttel we had some of the first VWs made after the war,driven mosty by civilians they were very popular,and several of our wives did not make BMH Hannover and with the drivers help gave birth in the back of the VW.I bought one second hand(with the split rear window)it had done 171,000KMs,and when I sold it a few years later it had nearly 300,000 on the clock.Never let me down,once it blew a spark plug,and once it lost a rocker cover on a rough road.Simple but good!
-------
Don

PS - the only trouble I get with "modern" cars is when one or the other warning light comes on,and nearly allways for no reason!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next