BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 55 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

You could'nt make it up !

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

You could'nt make it up ! Empty
PostSubject: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 21:56

Futher to thoughts along this theme. . .

I was nineteen years old in 1960. I was a Lance Jack in charge of the Battery Commander's OP party.

One dismal SLTA drizzly afternoon I was sitting in a hole in the ground with a National Service signaller when a tank suited apparition emerged from the bushes. It was our CO. In a voice like Montgomery before Alamein (we'll knock Gerry for six !) he demanded to know where our Battery Commander was. "On a Battalion Commander's conference Sir" I replied.

"Right, can't be be helped", he said, "2 o'clock, bushy topped tree, right two degrees tank". "Seen", I replied in, time honoured fashion.
"I want the Battery on it" he said. ( At this point it must be pointed out that a Battery consisted of four 5.5 in Medium guns, hurling a shell weighing 80 pounds)

"Battery Target" I said to the signaller (changing into Brown Trousers Order,) and in due course, came a rumble from over the horizon followed by a terrifying screech overhead as the rounds passed on their way to their target.

Having corrected the fire up to a "Target destroyed, Stand easy" I got a "Well done !" and the CO disappeared back into the bushes.

At this time in my career we were beset by orficers who had been in Korea.
I was nineteen and unprepared. Harm can come to a young lad like that !
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 22:42

2 o'clock. Should have told him the army use twentyfour hour clock and it was 1400. Pretty good though knowing what time an enemy tank was coming. Razz
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 09:19

Could have been dark, Royal Artillery Commanding Officers can see in the dark, then it would have been 0200hrs. Royal Artillery Commanding Officers also know what time Tanks are coming!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 09:22

Well if you must quibble about it, it might have been five past two. It was a long time ago.

Such nitpickers !
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 09:24

I could never understand how the OPs went through all that fictitious target rigmarole without laughing? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 09:27

Talking about Exercises (loosely) does anyone remember the "Wibbly Wobbly Way" in Munsterlager Sud - or was that just a Gunner "thing"?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 12:07

Shelldrake wrote:
I could never understand how the OPs went through all that fictitious target rigmarole without laughing? Crying or Very sad

You're right we used to have many a snigger at it all.

Thing is, all the OP party had to be proficient at that stuff. Historically, OP officers have a habit of getting bumped off, leaving pimply teenagers to call down fire.

The incident I mentioned earlier couldn't happen these days. The CO had me using Salvo Ranging, such ammunition expenditure ! That would be a whole days allocation today !
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 12:09

Shelldrake wrote:
Talking about Exercises (loosely) does anyone remember the "Wibbly Wobbly Way" in Munsterlager Sud - or was that just a Gunner "thing"?

Can't say it rings a bell with me but it does describe the way I walk with a skinfull.
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 12:39

Reminds me of how I talk with a skinful - I do not walk once skin is full I crawl!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You could'nt make it up !   You could'nt make it up ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You could'nt make it up !
Page 1 of 1