BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 88 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 88 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Drill by numbers

Go down 
+13
Mikey
Daveb
stuartmartin
mjm34
jim
steve jones
Shelldrake
Teabag
jerry
ciphers
brum
Hardrations
Themaadone
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Drill by numbers - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime23/12/2010, 09:49

Gordon. wrote:
13 check 1,2..followed by present arms and a general or royal salute..That`s the way i remember it.must have done dozens of them during my three years at Harrogate.Can`t remember ever doing one after my passing out parade..

What he said, 13 check one two. I check every morning and both are still there. Shocked General salute present arms. Nearly always caught the back of my heel with the other foot doing that or was that breaking ranks? Memory is going but to be honest hated drill. Leave that sort of thing to those chappies outside buck house.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime24/12/2010, 20:36

Having done my depot with the Canadian Guards, we were taught all sorts of good stuff drill wise. My best memory is being told that one, " sways and swaggers when marching to the pipes". This was something I remembered when I took up the pipes. My Pipe Major was ex Canadian Guards Pipe Band. That was a bit of information from the RSM " The Rock", can't remember his name, but I read where he died a few years ago in my home town, Brockville Ontario.
Back to top Go down
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime25/12/2010, 10:50

Hardrats,that was Rock McManus,not a nice man.
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/12/2010, 12:48

Gordon. wrote:
13 check 1,2..followed by present arms and a general or royal salute..That`s the way i remember it.must have done dozens of them during my three years at Harrogate.Can`t remember ever doing one after my passing out parade..

Yep!. In fact we got so much practice at it at Harrogate that you didn't need to count the paces anymore, just listened for the bass drummers double tap.

Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/12/2010, 12:51

Gordon. wrote:
Change direction left or right could be a complete lulu,as the mark time segment tended to speed up a little

Are you thinking of left and/or right form Gordon? Only left forms (in slow and quick time) used for the Harrogate grad parades.

Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/12/2010, 13:20

Gordon. wrote:

Thinking about it a bit more (obviously nothing better to do at the moment) at Harrogate it was more of a 13 check scrape bang scrape. All ex Harrogate Apprentices must remember that unique drill movement the "Harrogate shuffle" halt. How it developed and why everyone did it when we had been taught the "proper" check, 1, 2 halt in basic training I have no idea. I even recall the RSM (Welsh Guards) while I was there giving up trying to enforce the drill-book halt on us and trying to make the shuffle smarter by telling us not to scrape studs during the halt.

Thinking about it even deeper (why Question ) the Harrogate shuffle wouldn't really work in DMS.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/12/2010, 17:13

Quote :
the Harrogate shuffle
??

Never heard of it,must have been after my time..
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/12/2010, 17:23

We RA Brats at Hereford also did an unofficial type of halt, involving a sliding in of the left boot.
I never realised that other Junior Leaders mobs adopted it too.

You could also spot an ex-boy a mile off by the way he would swing his arms out from his body. This type of arm swinging developed in the band. Swinging arms front to rear would have resulted in the hands bashing into the bugle and the trumpet with which the trumpeters were festooned.
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime29/12/2010, 19:16

It is amazing that often you can tell an ex squaddie by the way they 'walk'. It is more like ramrod straight walking with clenched fists, a sorta semi official signature.
Back to top Go down
Nutstrangler
Sgt
Sgt
Nutstrangler

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield, Malaya, Singapore, Brunei , Kuching, Bulford, Bunde, Bordon, Dhekelia, Iserlohn, Lemgo,Hameln, Zimbabwe.
Registration date : 2011-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/1/2011, 16:40

mjm34 wrote:
Gordon. wrote:

Thinking about it a bit more (obviously nothing better to do at the moment) at Harrogate it was more of a 13 check scrape bang scrape. All ex Harrogate Apprentices must remember that unique drill movement the "Harrogate shuffle" halt. How it developed and why everyone did it when we had been taught the "proper" check, 1, 2 halt in basic training I have no idea. I even recall the RSM (Welsh Guards) while I was there giving up trying to enforce the drill-book halt on us and trying to make the shuffle smarter by telling us not to scrape studs during the halt.

Thinking about it even deeper (why Question ) the Harrogate shuffle wouldn't really work in DMS.

Mike

Also known as "The Arborfield Slide".
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Drill by numbers - Page 5 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/1/2011, 18:19

i was only thinking about this subject the other day, how do you think it would if we adopted the American way of drill,.I cant quite see the guards division doing trooping the colour singing
"The RSM is a sonofabitch got the blue ball crabs and the seven year itch"or "I dont know what youve been told but eskimo pussy is mighty cold um good,mighty good, good for you good for me".I am sure there are a few more songs out there well you get the picture or is that song lol! queen can you imagine HMQs face
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/1/2011, 20:01

101 Airborne (screaming chickens, no offense, fine soldiers) stayed at Hobart barracks Detmold around about 1976 after exercising with us. They used to run around the camp singing silly songs but it kept them happy.

At that time, the dollar took a dirty nose dive and as they were paid in dollars, they were getting a very poor exchange rate. We ended up buying them lots of beer in our club and generally getting our own back for what they did to our women in WW2. Got any gum chum?
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Drill by numbers - Page 5 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/1/2011, 20:10

Teabag wrote:
101 Airborne (screaming chickens, no offense, fine soldiers) stayed at Hobart barracks Detmold around about 1976 after exercising with us. They used to run around the camp singing silly songs but it kept them happy.

At that time, the dollar took a dirty nose dive and as they were paid in dollars, they were getting a very poor exchange rate. We ended up buying them lots of beer in our club and generally getting our own back for what they did to our women in WW2. Got any gum chum?
Naughty,naughty bad boy
Back to top Go down
Nutstrangler
Sgt
Sgt
Nutstrangler

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield, Malaya, Singapore, Brunei , Kuching, Bulford, Bunde, Bordon, Dhekelia, Iserlohn, Lemgo,Hameln, Zimbabwe.
Registration date : 2011-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime29/1/2011, 14:02

"Stand still...Not a move, not a flicker!"

"Squad....As you were..and if you weren't, get there..NOW!"

"Sar' Major, how do you move Guardsmen?"
"In bundles of ten , Sir!"

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drill by numbers   Drill by numbers - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drill by numbers
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5