BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 61 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 61 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Clothing and Equipment

Go down 
+20
dandc
cartav
woody
TDivers
jimsigs1
ciphers
reg
Geeneff
"john boy"
Goldmohur
jerry
jim
steve jones
Teabag
Themaadone
Dolmetscher
Shelldrake
alan8376
brum
BobG
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 19:45

The best, most functional and long lasting piece of kit that I was issued with were 2 x boot brushes, 1 x blanco brush and 1 x clothes brush. I was issued with them on the 18 Aug 62 and still using them (not so much the blanco one these days). Smile
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 20:13

not quite kit issued but my mother has had a tea spoon with the Naffi logo on it for at least 40 yrs and she has been using it as a sugar spoon ever since. dont be 48yrs though thats good going lol!
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/2/2011, 21:04

Still have my 'housewife' ... still in use after 60 years ... OK, no smart remarks about what Housewife would want me. And I still have 4 NAAFI sherry glasses with crest that I liberated 1964 from the Sgts Mess.

Getting back to scarves, in Korea we were issued with camo scarves to help keep the dust out, then the Yanks brought out silk scarves, light blue to identify with the UN colours .. in short order some local entrepreneur in Seoul made them with regimental crests, and our CO at Britcom Signals allowed us to wear them ... proper posh we wuz because normally we were in 'shit order'

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2011, 20:23

Shelldrake wrote:
The best, most functional and long lasting piece of kit that I was issued with were 2 x boot brushes, 1 x blanco brush and 1 x clothes brush. I was issued with them on the 18 Aug 62 and still using them (not so much the blanco one these days). Smile
Beat you there! Mine were issued in June 1960.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2011, 21:29

Dolmetscher wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:
Beat you there! Mine were issued in June 1960.

I don't want to get into the " nah nah na nah nah!", but I have a button stick issued to me in 1957.

"What's a button stick ?" I hear you (raw arses) cry. I'll just say that Staybrite was unheard of when we got one of those.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2011, 22:30

A button stick

Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 BUTTON-STICK
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 05:44

Gordon. wrote:
A button stick
Remember it well. Which reminds me, i had a web belt on which I had adapted the rear buckles so that they could be detached for cleaning purposes. Good old Admin. inspections.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 08:25

I tried that when i was an apprentice.The only problem was it had been done loads of time before and the PS were wise to it...New belt double quick!!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 10:18

I don't want to get into the " nah nah na nah nah!", but I have a button stick issued to me in 1957.

"What's a button stick ?" I hear you (raw arses) cry. I'll just say that Staybrite was unheard of when we got one of those.[/quote]

When I Marched in to my first Married Quarter in 1969 on the inventory was a Brooms, Bahia Bass. I Marched out in 1971 and took the aforesaid Brooms, Bahia Bass with me, and still have it to this day. Apart from 7 new heads and 3 new handles, it is still as good as new. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 12:11

Ah yes, Brooms, Bahia Bass !

The Army had so many of those little gems.

Who could forget "Towels, Hand, Huckaback" ?

On the D&M side, "Mandrell, Axle arm setting", is another one that haunts my memory !
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 13:59

How about Capsules, Lachymatory or Pokers, Soldier? Smile
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 17:12

Shelldrake wrote:
How about Capsules, Lachymatory or Pokers, Soldier? Smile

er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol! is it card games? lol!

Last edited by "john boy" on 27/2/2011, 17:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 17:14

enlighten us good man!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
reg
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 26
Cap Badge : royal signals
Places Served : 11sigs,8sigs & 22sigs, 7th battalion r.anglian.r.ta,9/12 lancers army cadets
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 18:23

when i arrived in lippstadt & got settled into my room, nearly every room had a curly poker for tea making....any one else see these?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 18:39

John, Capsules Lachrymatory was the posh name for those instruments of torture that they used in the Gas Chamber when you removed your Gaspirator and gave your No, Rank and Name. I remember those Reg, the H & S brigade would have heart failure if they were in use today. There was also the obligatory Grundig Radio, the ones with the big white buttons, fantastic tone, they would give Bose a run for their money. In the 70s it was also compulsory for every MQ to have a Grundig Radiogram, a glass coffee table and a chest freezer. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 19:14

coming in to the 80s do you remember the big radio/tv/cassette all in one good sound crap picture though lol!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 20:09

reg wrote:
when i arrived in lippstadt & got settled into my room, nearly every room had a curly poker for tea making....any one else see these?

This was covered a couple of months ago Reg.

What you called a "Curly poker" our mob called a "Brew stick". I suppose you could call it an "Imersion heater, electric, Hand held".
To go with it you had to have a big brew can (cadged from the cookhouse) and a supply of tea etc. (always available from the Guard's supper).

I can see the look of disbelief on the faces of our younger contributors !
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2011, 21:05

I remember those Reg, the H & S brigade would have heart failure if they were in use today. There was also the obligatory Grundig Radio, the ones with the big white buttons, fantastic tone, they would give Bose a run for their money. In the 70s it was also compulsory for every MQ to have a Grundig Radiogram, a glass coffee table and a chest freezer. Very Happy [/quote]

"H&S" indeed mate !

One of the rooms in our troop had a dodgy "brew stick" that kept blowing a fuse.
It was considered quite normal that one of the blokes had to stand by the fuze box, (remember, they used to be in the corridor ?) holding onto the fuze switch to stop it tripping out. The Brew took priority !

You're so right, the coffee table the Grundig radiogram.
The Deutschies used to make the best kit in those days, didn't they , before the Japs out-performed them?

I remember a bunch of us were in the QOH PRI shop in Hohne. The bloke behind the counter said "Eeyare lads, some nice watches 'ere".

"What sort are they ?" was the reply. "Japanese", quoth he "Called Seiko".

"Seiko ?" was the reply. "That's a bleedin' funny name for a watch !".

"Yer woon't cop me buyin' that sh*t!"

(I think Grundig stuff is made in Malaysia now, isn't it ?)
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2011, 11:17

We had a tile topped table, it was one of those german wind up and down ones, I thought they were great, I remember those immersion heaters as well, I had one in my room for ages, great for making a cup of coffee,
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2011, 17:05

Bought a Blaupunkt portable/mains radio in the QOH PRI Shop in 1972, still in everyday use. They dont make them like they used to.
Bob
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2011, 17:21

BobG wrote:
Bought a Blaupunkt portable/mains radio in the QOH PRI Shop in 1972, still in everyday use. They dont make them like they used to.
Bob

They couldn't persuade you to buy one of those Japanese watches then Bob ?

Surprised
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2011, 19:53

brum wrote:
I remember those Reg, the H & S brigade would have heart failure if they were in use today. There was also the obligatory Grundig Radio, the ones with the big white buttons, fantastic tone, they would give Bose a run for their money. In the 70s it was also compulsory for every MQ to have a Grundig Radiogram, a glass coffee table and a chest freezer. Very Happy

"H&S" indeed mate !

One of the rooms in our troop had a dodgy "brew stick" that kept blowing a fuse.
It was considered quite normal that one of the blokes had to stand by the fuze box, (remember, they used to be in the corridor ?) holding onto the fuze switch to stop it tripping out. The Brew took priority !

You're so right, the coffee table the Grundig radiogram.
The Deutschies used to make the best kit in those days, didn't they , before the Japs out-performed them?

I remember a bunch of us were in the QOH PRI shop in Hohne. The bloke behind the counter said "Eeyare lads, some nice watches 'ere".

"What sort are they ?" was the reply. "Japanese", quoth he "Called Seiko".

"Seiko ?" was the reply. "That's a bleedin' funny name for a watch !".

"Yer woon't cop me buyin' that sh*t!"

(I think Grundig stuff is made in Malaysia now, isn't it ?)[/quote]

I forgot about the "Schrank", I wish I had a Fiver for the amount of people who said to me as I was Marching them in to a MQ, "My Schrank ain't gonna fit in here". Sad Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2011, 21:26

After all this talk of curly pokers ,,i extracted one from my loft,changed the plug,and lo and behold it still works.it`s quite a talking point among the grand kids
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 03:51

Bought a blanket from RATIO, in Muenster in 1969, took it on every exercise I 've done since then. Went looking for a double one like it after getting married,no luck. Still use it occasionally down here in the Caribbean when the temperature drops to 70 something Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 09:33

brum wrote:

Ah yes, Brooms, Bahia Bass !

The Army had so many of those little gems.

Who could forget "Towels, Hand, Huckaback" ?

On the D&M side, "Mandrell, Axle arm setting", is another one that haunts my memory !

There was also the "24 Volt, 2 Stage, Axial Starter Motor" as fitted to the Ferret Scout Car. I got a "School Standard" for my TP on that one at Bovington! Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clothing and Equipment   Clothing and Equipment - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clothing and Equipment
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next