BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 64 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 64 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Veteran ID Cards

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 19:20

Has anyone heard anything about when these cards are to be issued, I know it was supposed to start in 2010 for recently retired soldiers but have heard nothing Sad

Les
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 19:33

Not heard anything definite about Vets ID cards in the UK, lots of suport but nothing else. Vets ID cards have been issued to those who settled in BFG and Cyprus to enable them to limited use of NAAFI, etc, dont think they can buy duty free booze or cigs.

BobG
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 19:36

Thanks for that Bob, thing is there was talk of them issuing for ALL ex soldiers, just seems to have gone quiet Mad

Les
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 20:44

Les Pattenden wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about when these cards are to be issued, I know it was supposed to start in 2010 for recently retired soldiers but have heard nothing Sad

Les

Did I nod off again ?

What's all this Veteran's ID card malarkey then ?

While it is a nice bit of kit, the Veteran's Badge serves only to inform other ex-servicemen that you have "done a bit". It has no other value. So, of what use would the Vet's ID card be, I ask ?

The other day somebody asked me what a Gurkha was. It's down to a lack of education, I suppose, this country doesn't give a monkey's about ex-ervicemen, that's how it's always been.
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 20:54

it is supposed to give vets a priority on things like NHS, Council lists amongst others, and yes I agree they don't seem to care but you never know they just may start to Mad

Les
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 21:16

There was a time when ex servicemen/women could be treated at BMHs in the UK but, Maggies Mob put a stop to that - they got rid of the Hospitals. I live in an area that has quite a large ex-service population,normally the only time that someone is acknowledged as ex military is when they have committed a crime and it hits the newspapers otherwise, nobody gives a Rodents Rectum
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 21:17

Sorry mate,

It was the mindset of our country that I was having a rave at.

Some of the nicest people I ever knew live in Hampshire.

brum

Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 21:20

The aim is to ensure that those who have risked their lives in combat get front-of-the-queue treatment and financial benefits. Similar systems in the US and France offer veterans subsidised travel and discounts from private companies.

At a time when the armed forces have been stretched to breaking point in two bloody conflicts, there has been mounting anger that the priority treatment promised by the Government 18 months ago has failed to materialise. "We now need to make it happen," the Defence minister Kevan Jones told this newspaper. "We will provide veterans' ID cards so the person can say 'I have served in the services' and get priority access to treatment." Mr Jones spoke in response to this newspaper's campaign to get better mental health treatment for traumatised troops, launched after the Victoria Cross winner Johnson Beharry – the country's most decorated serving soldier – revealed his own combat-related trauma and urged the Government to stop failing his fellow soldiers with sub-standard or non-existent care.

Lieutenant General Sir Freddie Viggers, who until last year was Adjutant-General in charge of personnel, welcomed the veterans' card. "It is about value and self worth, not about a piece of plastic," he said. "We carry these cards for the whole of our service and when we leave we are required to hand them in. Psychologically, it is a bad thing. It is a little bit of plastic but it represents who you are and what you did."

The Conservative MP Patrick Mercer, former commanding officer with the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment, said: "It is about bloody time. At last, a reasonable, sensible minister [Mr Jones] who listens to ideas from across the political spectrum."
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 21:22

Nice to hear Brum, just to give an idea this is part of what I picked up

Les
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 05:08

We have veteran cards for those with 10 years of service or more. This includes reserves. We get some privileges from private companies and some will give discounts on asking if they do this for vets, I've found out to my experience. Embarrasses my wife, but she doesn't argue about the savings when it's over. This year West Jet airlines are allowing a vet a second suitcase free (25 lbs under). Last couple of years Via Rail was giving out free travel cross Canada. (Must remember our rail service is a joke). After Afghanistan cools down I'm sure these goodies will disappear.

Last edited by Hardrations on 4/12/2011, 17:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 08:17

I am sure that it will, Hardrations. "It's Tommy this and Tommy that", etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Veteran ID Cards Empty
PostSubject: Re: Veteran ID Cards   Veteran ID Cards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Veteran ID Cards
Page 1 of 1