Installment No 26, No.79 Field Ambulance RCAMC
No. 2 Medical Liaison Detachment RCAMC
No. 27 Field Dental Detachment R.C.D.C.
The following main sources were used to support the research for this summary;
1. Report No. 51 Historical Section(GS) Army Headquarters, Directorate of History
National Defense Headquarters, Ottawa, Canada, K1A 0K2
2. News Bulletin of the Medical Services Canadian Armed Forces, Vol 67, Dec 1952.
3. News of the Canadian Medical Association, Annual Meeting, Banff in 1951.
Historical Report No. 51
4. The Baor History Forum
Page 7, para 16, ''RCAMC - to form No. 27 Field Ambulance* and Replacements:
No.7 Field Ambulance, Toronto, Ont.
No.9 Field Ambulance, Montreal, P.Q.
* Redesignated No. 79 Field Ambulance with effect 6 Sep 51
Page 9, Para 25(a) ''designated a ''Battle Unit''
'' No. 79 Field Ambulance, RCAMC''
Para 25(b) ''designated a ''Support Unit''
'' No. 27 Field Dental Detachment''
Page10,Para 25(c) ''designated a ''base unit''
''No.2 Medical Liaison Detachment''
The Canadian Medical Association, Annual Meeting Banff, 1951, News of the Medical Services stated,''The medical component of the 27th Canadian Infantry Brigade, the 79 Field Ambulance RCAMC, proceeded to Europe in Dec under command of Lieut Col R,D. Barron, MC, RCAMC'' and a News Bulletin from the Medical Services Canadian Armed Forces, Vol 67, Dec 1952 stated,'' Lt. Col. R.D. Barron, MC has returned to Canada after serving a tour of duty in Germany. Lt. Col. P.A. Costin has been appointed Officer Commanding 79th Field Ambulance RCAMC, Germany.'' No. 79 Field Ambulance was based at the BMH at Iserlohn, a former base of a panzer unit at Argonne Barracks which subsequently became No. 6 British General Hospital in 1946.
The Baor Forum states,''When the Canadian Brigade was in the area (1950 to 1970) they utilized the the hospital and between 1951 and 1971 the facilities were shared by British and Canadian Forces''.
Historical Report No. 51
Page 13, Para 35, ''Mr Claxton informed the House of Commons that No. 410 Squadron of the RCAF, and others to follow later, would be based at North Luffenham airfields in the English Midlands pending the provision of other accommodation in Western Europe.'' Further to this, the Royal Canadian Dental Corps Association reported, ''that 27 Canadian Field Dental detachment was stood up to support the Canadian Brigade in Europe that was Canada's contribution to NATO following WWII. In another report from the Dental Association,'' A Century of Service''(Part Five).
'' During the Cold War in Europe from 1951 to 1953 Canada established two dental organizations as part of the NATO forces. One was based in several areas in Northern Germany and another was formed to support the RCAF in England and Europe.'' As well the National Defense and Canadian Forces reported a ''dental detachment also accompanied the new No. 1 Fighter Wing RCAF at North Luffenham, England in Nov 1951. This detachment was later amalgamated into 35 Dental Unit''
Shown below are the badges of the RCAMC and RCDC which were in effect during the period 1951 and later:
Next installment 27th CIB Signal Squadron, R.C. Sigs
79th Field Regiment Signal Troop, R.C. Sigs