BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sennelager 1977
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 23:15 by Spike68

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:36 by SarahN

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come

Go down 
+9
Mike_2817
cartav
jim
brum
bigmal
pete26
Shelldrake
pinky
SteveR
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2012, 21:23

[quote="cartav
And ref M1
But do tell....
What's "Lock & Load" ? ........... apart from being the shout of every GI with a bandook on TV......... and is it applicable to M16 etc. as well ? .......... I love it when you talk technical !.[/quote]

If you watch films like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers" you'll see the soldier pull the working parts back and lock them before inserting a clip of rounds.

Hence "Lock and load".

Doesn't apply to the M16, magazine fed.

SAH ! study
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2012, 22:20

Gordon. wrote:
So i`m led to believe..The gas mask was more than enough for me.

Respirator! Flipping Scaleys! What? Oh yeh sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2012, 22:34

Teabag.....As a war baby ,i had a gas mask..As i don`t like change it remained a gas mask when i was a squaddie...Sniff
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2012, 22:47

[quote="brum"][quote

If you watch films like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers" you'll see the soldier pull the working parts back and lock them before inserting a clip of rounds.
/quote]

Thanks Brum...... Thought there was more to it. Guess we'd say "With a clip of eight rounds load " but it ain't got the same ring to it . Sir ! No Sir!

I checked it out on Wikipedia too. Some confusion there, but they reckon L & L might pre-date Garand by 20 years, and could even go back to flintlock where the hammer was put on half cock before the pan was primed. And they point us to this afternoon's film, John Wayne & the Mareens on the Sands of Iwo Jima. Guess the Yanks have learned a thing or two since that crap was made (and won awards!). "Band of Brothers" was one of the best.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/6/2012, 23:20

Band of Brothers was brilliant but being full of British actors that is no surprise. Spielberg might have helped as well!
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 208
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 03:13

I thought it was 'fire in the hole'
Great thread BTW.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 12:00

Quote :
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

Just finished it...As you say fiction,,but a good read ..
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 12:06

Fiction, but based on a little fact and imagination!

In real life the Russians have more than one source of oil, and the China oil fields are within easy reach as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_industry_in_Russia

Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 15:04

Mike_2817 wrote:

In real life the Russians have more than one source of oil, and the China oil fields are within easy reach as well...

We thought we had one........... When foundation excavations were in hand at an extension to the Ferodo (remember them ?) factory west of the Pennines, 60 or so years ago, the works were filling with a black, gooey stuff. Exciting! Yes, it was oil...... Think I am right in saying an underground pipe line had been broken into, not still an active one, but one part full, something tied up with PLUTO, that Pipe Line Under the Ocean, part of the D-Day prep. or a similar project to shift oil around during WW2. And there are, or were, some of those nodding donkey rigs around north Notts, but I reckon that source has probably dried up by now.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 17:25

cartav wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:

We thought we had one........... When foundation excavations were in hand at an extension to the Ferodo (remember them ?) factory west of the Pennines, 60 or so years ago, the works were filling with a black, gooey stuff. Exciting! Yes, it was oil...... Think I am right in saying an underground pipe line had been broken into, not still an active one, but one part full, something tied up with PLUTO, that Pipe Line Under the Ocean, part of the D-Day prep. or a similar project to shift oil around during WW2. And there are, or were, some of those nodding donkey rigs around north Notts, but I reckon that source has probably dried up by now.

Was not PLUTO just to supply petrol for the invasion ?
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 17:54

brum wrote:

Was not PLUTO just to supply petrol for the invasion ?

Could be Brum, but them as knew about something put down for military purposes reckoned this was a connection to move stuff across the country.......... maybe it was crude from docks to refinery, but that's a guess. Principle was the same as
Pluto though and I suppose MT required something more than just MT70. And we got this secondhand from the resident engineer on site.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 18:04

PLUTO was the code name for the cross channel pipeline, not the UK network.

The Government Pipelines and Storage System (GPSS) is a United Kingdom pipeline system run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency for the MOD. The network consists of some 2,500 kilometres of pipeline and 46 other facilities. The network is interconnected with several private networks.

The network was started before World War II and was used to supply fuel for Operation Pluto. In the UK these pipelines were mainly to shift finished products (Other than local pipelines from the docks) and used 'slugs' to separate the fuels Main Fuels Transported by 'Multi-Fuel' Pipelines are Aviation Jet Oil (Jet A or Jet A-1 NATO Code F34/F35 or AVTUR), , Diesel Fuel (DF2) Unleaded Petrol (F57 or F67)

There was an case only last week with Jet A which failed Quality Tests at Manchester Airport which needed to be pumped back the the refinery, before new fuel could be pumped in and settled before use!

FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 18:42

I did a 2 week UBRE/TTF Instructors Course at Longmoor in 1980, part of the final test was to smell/sniff/snort 5 different phials of fuel and identify them!! I could never imagine a scenario where I would be required to use my new found skills for real, In my exalted position as the MTO I used the CEPS on many an Exercise, mostly Hoddenhagen. On one of those many Exercises I first met Mick Higham who was later to become the RSM of the Trg Bn and Depot of the RAOC, you may know him Mike?

*Delete Longmoor, Insert Westmoors! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Shelldrake on 10/6/2012, 05:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 19:43

Mike_2817 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_industry_in_Russia

The Bear And The Dragon by Tom Clancy.
Another good read.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 19:45

And there are, or were, some of those nodding donkey rigs around north Notts, but I reckon that source has probably dried up by now. [/quote]

Papplewick Pumping Station.
It has a visitor centre nowadays.
Not far from me.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 21:05

Shelldrake wrote:
On one of those many Exercises I first met Mick Higham who was later to become the RSM of the Trg Bn and Depot of the RAOC, you may know him Mike?

Does not ring a bell! As webmaster on RAOConLine Forum I have to say I did not know most of the members, our paths did not cross as it were. We did 3 year postings in the many RAOC units around the world, and am friends with Jim of this forum via the RAOConLine branch of the RAOC Association and will be attending the RAOC reunion next weekend where I know most member from after I left the army!

FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/6/2012, 10:09

pinky wrote:
The book Chieftains is worth a read on this subject (partly based on my regt. - 14/20 Kings Hussars).
atb
Pinky

I've got a feeling I read that book, a long time ago.
Weren't the tanks deployed in concrete bunkers until the intial nuclear strikes went in then emerged to take on the soviet tanks ?
The book seemed to have been written by someone who was familiar with Chieftain, I remember and mention of 14/20th here rang a bell.
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/6/2012, 17:31

When I was at Imphal, Osnabrück, in the early 60s, I decided, one fine Sunday morning, that I would do a bit of shooting with my air-rifle in a wooded area at the rear of the camp. Imagine my surprise when I came across several small huts bearing the nuclear radiation symbol on their doors. Never did mention them to anyone, so goodness know what they contained.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
pinky
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 06:18

Hi there,
Yes Brum correct.
The recce vehicles hid in the bunkers..............etc etc etc
Written by Bob Forrest-Webb. He stayed with us in Hohne and deployed onto Saltau too !
I enjoyed the book, good luck finding one.
atb
PINKY
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 10:42

Thinking of Andy McNab's allegedly fictional account of seeking out Scuds, it occurs to me that the Spetsnaz might have had similar intentions with Honest John and those who sailed in her.

Did you get any infantry protection Brum, or was it up to the brave RA lads to defend their fireworks ?
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 10:57

Cartav,
They were that far back the border guards near Venlo would of looked after them........lol.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 13:18

pinky wrote:
Cartav,
They were that far back the border guards near Venlo would of looked after them........lol.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR

I don't think that we would have made it out of Barracks! affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
pete26
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 18:01

cartav wrote:
Thinking of Andy McNab's allegedly fictional account of seeking out Scuds,

I have to mix with those fine fellows of the Parachute Regiment in my town, as there is no RE group for miles. A few are ex- 9 sqn RE paras.

Anyway they, not to put a fine point on it, are not too overenamoured of 'Mr McNabs' exploits or descriptions thereof.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 18:48

I`m reading a book at the moment called `The True Bravo Two Zero` and it highlights all the BS that Mr McNab put into print, it also said that Mr Ryan`s version of events was also a bit lacking when it came to the `actualite`.
Both were BSing to make them selves out to be better than they were and to improve the readability of their tomes.
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2012, 20:23

the russians would of course come through the back door of the naafi in viersen , ginger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come   If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If it had all kicked off .... which way would they have come
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: