BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 66 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 66 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

British Army of the Rhein - TV programme

Go down 
+4
brum
Shelldrake
Tom Withers
eMeS
8 posters
AuthorMessage
eMeS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 20
Cap Badge : RAF
Places Served : RAF Locking, 646SU at RAF Obernkirchen & RAF Scharfoldendorf
Registration date : 2012-09-11

British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Empty
PostSubject: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime28/10/2012, 23:56

I've just finished watching tonight's hour long BBC4 TV programme recalling what life was like in BAOR. Whilst I did just my second year of National Service in the RAF's 646 SU at Obernkirchen and Scharfoldendorf, August 1958-9, I found little in the programme which reminded me of my year in Germany. Ours was a small unit, and whilst mainly RAF we also had members of the Army serving with us. Perhaps the security surrounding our operation kept the film crews away!

Hopefully others here found more which reminded them of their service.
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick,1 Corps Sig Regt Herford Baor 15
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 10:14

Has anyone seen the BBC progam at 2.15 in afternoon, "Privates", what a load of rubbish, the 'Milatry Adviser, is a Terry Gillingham, he has probaly never been in the army let alone did National Service.

The guards on the gate are holding the rifle in the Amercian way, magazine to the shoulder, they are standing at 'Ease' with thr rifle at the 'slope, in the Office corridore, both the Officer and the Soldiers are saulting each other 'Bareheaded', and closed fists, the Drill Sargent and Drill Corp, look like sacks of potatoes tied up in the middle, the gate guards are holding the rifle in the 'port' position, simiar to the present day stance, and it is just a laugh to watch all the mistakes. I could go on but I am laughing too much.

Tom Withers ex 1 Corps Signal Regt Hwerford tBAOR 15 N/S July 54/July 56.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 10:32

The BAOR programme is being repeated to night.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 10:51

Tom Withers wrote:
Has anyone seen the BBC progam at 2.15 in afternoon, "Privates", what a load of rubbish, the 'Milatry Adviser, is a Terry Gillingham, he has probaly never been in the army let alone did National Service.

The guards on the gate are holding the rifle in the Amercian way, magazine to the shoulder, they are standing at 'Ease' with thr rifle at the 'slope, in the Office corridore, both the Officer and the Soldiers are saulting each other 'Bareheaded', and closed fists, the Drill Sargent and Drill Corp, look like sacks of potatoes tied up in the middle, the gate guards are holding the rifle in the 'port' position, simiar to the present day stance, and it is just a laugh to watch all the mistakes. I could go on but I am laughing too much.

Tom Withers ex 1 Corps Signal Regt Hwerford tBAOR 15 N/S July 54/July 56.

I though that it was a typical Royal Signals Regiment! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 10:52

Gordon. wrote:
The BAOR programme is being repeated to night.

Wonder if it has matured with age? (Unlike me).
Back to top Go down
eMeS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 20
Cap Badge : RAF
Places Served : RAF Locking, 646SU at RAF Obernkirchen & RAF Scharfoldendorf
Registration date : 2012-09-11

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 11:56

I watched about 20 minutes of the 2nd. episode, and then gave up. On checking on Digiguide I was surprised to see it listed as "Drama". I don't watch "Soaps" but wonder if that would have been a better label. But then what do I know? I served in the RAF for just two years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 13:37

Quote :
Terry Gillingham

A gunner from the 70s..
Back to top Go down
Tom Withers
Sgt
Sgt
Tom Withers

Number of posts : 22
Places Served : Catterick,1 Corps Sig Regt Herford Baor 15
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 14:18

That is not tipical of thr Royal Signals, all our Drill NCO's and Instructor NCO's were smart and a good example to us N/S squaddies.

I am proud to have done 'My Bit' with the Royal Signals, even if it was only for two years, "back in the old days. "
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 15:18

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Terry Gillingham

A gunner from the 70s..

That wouldn't surprise me! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 16:49

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Terry Gillingham

A gunner from the 70s..

Ah yes, "Plunger" Gillingham.

Used to drive 76 Bty's POL truck, I recall. (Wasn't allowed to wear shorts).
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 21:10

Yes I remember one of our guys in the warmer climates being excused wearing shorts due to his being hung like a donkey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime9/1/2013, 22:52

Was that me???The memory you know...............
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 10:58

Dulaigh wrote:
Yes I remember one of our guys in the warmer climates being excused wearing shorts due to his being hung like a donkey.

'ang about !
Winterbourne Gunner ?
How come that was never changed to "Winterbourne Scaley" then ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 11:09

Quote :
'ang about !

That was the problem Embarassed
Back to top Go down
KIeler sprotten
WOII
WOII
KIeler sprotten

Number of posts : 80
Cap Badge : 13/18 ROYAL HUSSARS QMO
Places Served : Carlisle, NEUMUNSTER , Piddlehinton, Bovington
Registration date : 2011-09-04

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 16:04

Tom Withers looks smart for a signals man, did you have the lead weights in the battle dress
trousers?
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 19:01

when did you ever see sgts and cpls strolling about a training garrison wearing b ds that looked like second hand bell tents . and wearing their berets over the shoulder , whoever wrote . thought of , produced and directed this farce never wore uniform , unless it was the asylum uniform . straitjacket , ginger
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 19:26

Never saw an RA Gunner during my service. Lots of Tankies, Lancers, Hussars, some Life Guards and one or two Household. We had gone to combined services in my time.
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 19:30

I would prefer not to comment on the TV programme.
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Privates   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime12/1/2013, 13:49

I too watched this programme and if I was the producer I would be looking for a big rebate from the military "advisor". What about the beret ribbons hanging down the back? The lack of a blanket round the bedpack? Along with all the previous comments. My wife says I am being pedantic and no one who hasn't been in the army at that time would notice. Mind you she always tells me to shut up when anything about railways is on TV as they are just as bad!

One more point. Surely there weren't enough people in that section where there? I would have thought that they should at least have been in platoon strength. I loved all those shots of the single bedford and landrover in all those different locations. Mind you, my wife who worked in TV for a while, once did a re-enactment of the battle of Hastings using three men and one horse!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British Army of the Rhein - TV programme   British Army of the Rhein - TV programme Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

British Army of the Rhein - TV programme
Page 1 of 1