BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 51 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 51 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

married quarters in Osnabrucke

Go down 
+8
Shelldrake
steve1226
rucjock21
alan8376
BigJock
Wilf
bob
KEITH DOWNES
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KEITH DOWNES
Sgt
Sgt
KEITH DOWNES

Number of posts : 28
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : UK,GERMANY,HONG KONG.
Registration date : 2012-01-11

married quarters  in Osnabrucke Empty
PostSubject: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime29/1/2013, 12:03

What has happened to to married quarters at osnabruck? I was lucky enough to get a quarter IN 1962 in a new estate being built near the Quebec bks .I recall three blocks of flats plus several houses opposite the NAAFI. I was one of the first to be given one and we had to move all our furniture and equipment from the R.E.depot at Robert,s Bks up the PANZER STRASSE to the flat .(all brand new )Is there anybody who recalls these quarters?.
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime29/1/2013, 18:42

Hi Keith , I don't know the MQs you're on about but when we went back in 2007 Dodesheide ( up by Imphal & Mercer Barracks ) was all but empty.Didn't taken any photos as the wife was a tad upset at the state of the place .
Going back this summer , hope to get some this time.

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime29/1/2013, 19:01

We spent three years in Lotte, we were glad to see the back of that place.
Back to top Go down
KEITH DOWNES
Sgt
Sgt
KEITH DOWNES

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime29/1/2013, 20:16

MEMORIES GETTING BAD SO IT COULD HAVE BEEN mercer or imphal bks ,at the time a scotish reg was in one of them,the wksp was in the other.
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime29/1/2013, 20:26

12 Armd Wksps ? They were in Mercer along with the Green Howards ( DERR before them ) . I was with 23 Eng Rgt 1983 - 86 , 5th Skins were in Imphal followed by 4 RTR . There was a Jock Regiment ( KOSBs iirc) in Quebec before 23 Engineers moved in .

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
KEITH DOWNES
Sgt
Sgt
KEITH DOWNES

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime30/1/2013, 09:18

It was 12 inf wksp in mercer and 16/5 lancers followed by a scottish regt in imphal but this was way back in 1962.I have tried to google earth it but with no luck.I,ll just keep trying..
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime30/1/2013, 14:01

KEITH DOWNES wrote:
It was 12 inf wksp in mercer and 16/5 lancers followed by a scottish regt in imphal but this was way back in 1962.I have tried to google earth it but with no luck.I,ll just keep trying..

Here are some pics I took in Mercer Bks a couple of years ago Keith, I was with 12 Inf Wksp FRG, the Scottish regiment at the time I was there (1963-1966) was 1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and the armoured regt in Imphal Bks was 9/12th Lancers

To find it on Google maps, put into the search bar >Am Limberg, Osnabrück, Germany

[img]married quarters  in Osnabrucke Untitl11[/img]

Last edited by BigJock on 29/4/2013, 21:36; edited 1 time in total

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime30/1/2013, 19:05

Here is a photo I found on the web...

married quarters  in Osnabrucke _Dodesheidearea
Back to top Go down
KEITH DOWNES
Sgt
Sgt
KEITH DOWNES

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 14:19

Managed to locate my old quarter, in der dodesheide .certainly built up as there were only a few flats there then.thanks for your help in locating.
Back to top Go down
KEITH DOWNES
Sgt
Sgt
KEITH DOWNES

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 14:23

Alan 8376.thanks for the photo of the M/Q,s can you let me have the website of this photo as I would like to enlarge it for a closer look.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 14:39

Sorry Keith, Found ages ago. Web site unknown! Maybe someone posted it on THIS site?
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 16:21

Keith, PM me with your email address. I can send a bigger photo.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 20:49

Any photographs of Dodeshiede 63/6 would be appreciated if oanyone has them please.
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 21:30

rucjock21 wrote:
Any photographs of Dodeshiede 63/6 would be appreciated if oanyone has them please.

rucjock if you're on faceache there's a couple of pages with photos not the 1960s but it has some of the MQs and Barracks .
I lived in Dodesheide
Belm pads brats
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 21:40

Roger on that Bob.Many thanks I will have a look on faceache. One thing about Dodesheide it was near the Cinema,and the wee chippy doon the road.I can't remember the road itself but it was near the pub theat the lads used to go to. Razz
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime31/1/2013, 22:36

rucjock21 wrote:
Roger on that Bob.Many thanks I will have a look on faceache. One thing about Dodesheide it was near the Cinema,and the wee chippy doon the road.I can't remember the road itself but it was near the pub theat the lads used to go to. Razz

Wee chippy wouldn't be Jim Blakes Schnelly by any chance ? Don't know the pub but I think there was a Rosies Bar down there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime1/2/2013, 21:51

I'm not sure that the chippy was Jim Blakes Schnelly Bob.Did he not own the pub just up the road where all the troops used to congregate on a regular basis.All I know that the wee chippy shop sold very nice bratwursts und pomfrites etc etc.
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 10:50

From 1965 - 1968 I was in Mercer barracks at the LAD, first with 1 Queens own Highlanders up to 66 and then with 1 Royal Scots. The pub I used to go to was Helmuts opposite the cinema and it was Jim's Schnelly. I can still taste Pommes mit Ziguener scauce now and the cutlet to take back to camp.

I have checked my dates with my service record. On posting to Plymouth in 68 I found 1 Argyll and Sutherland there as we used to do their FFR inspections.

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 13:05

steve1226 wrote:

On posting to Plymouth in 68 I found 1 Argyll and Sutherland there as we used to do their FFR inspections.

Bet you were popular! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 16:01

steve1226 wrote:

1 Queens own Highlanders up to 66 and then with 1 Royal Scots. .........

...... in 68 I found 1 Argyll and Sutherland there as we used to do their FFR inspections.

Better than FFI inspections ........ though I guess the kilt would have made those easier and quicker !
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 16:10

FFI Inspections Steve,So you were responsible for all the grief in the battalion at FFR time.All the running around trying to find equipment that was lost or stolen in order to balance the books.All the cleaning of the vehicles with petrol/oil especially underneath the vehicles and engine compartment.No Karcher high pressure water cleaners in those days,just a small hose with a piece of metal hammered into the end of the hose to give us some sort of pressure to get the muck and sh1t off the vehicles.All the tools were cleaned and kept in the stores until after the inspection in order to get a good report for the battalion.Mind you Steve,we always got a good report fro m the inspection team. cheers
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 16:18

When were you in Osnabruck rucjock? I have been looking at Osnabruck on google earth but I guess there has been a lot of building since I was there in the sixties. Looking at the junction of In Der Dodesheide and Ellerweg I thought the Schnelly was around there somewhere as I used to go there when I got of the bus from my girlfriends. The AKC cinema was on Ellerstrasse and Helmuts bar across the road from it. He used to do a mean currywurst and Pommes in there. It seems like only yesterday when I was there but it is now nearly 50 years ago!
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 17:08

Sorry rucjock I have just reread your original post. You must have been with 1 Royal Scots when I was there. I have some memories of then. I can remember being in camp one Christmas eve when the families were having a bash in the NAAFI. Me and two of my mates were in the bar when we were dragged down to the party and introduced as "Three mash b******* who are on their own." What a night. We all ended up in someones MQ much the worse for wear and we had to be up early the next day to go to our officers house for dinner. Captain Janes his name was.

Wasn't there a Sgt Darling in the MT stores? I can't remember many of the names from the LAD but Dave Bessant springs to mind along with Danny Kerr who played drums in a band we had going. Happy days.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 17:23

Steve 1226,I was with A&SH from 1974 to 1976. The battalion was on a four year tour ending in 1978.I left the btn in 1976 and went on attachment to the Gordon Highlanders for a tour in Palace Bks.I only did two years in Osnabruck and I was in quarters in Dodeshausweg Dodesheide.I can remember the chippy in Ellerstrasse near the junction with In der Dodesheide.You were right, the snelly was at that junction and the Boozer was just up from the junction that a lot of the pads used.This chippy did a lot of trade from the pads as it was always packed out with pads each night getting there bratwursts/currywursts etc etc.
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime21/3/2013, 17:32

Thanks for that rucjock. Glad to know my memory is still working.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: married quarters in Osnabrucke   married quarters  in Osnabrucke Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

married quarters in Osnabrucke
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next