BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 63 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 63 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ingke
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-08-04

Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Empty
PostSubject: Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden   Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime4/8/2013, 16:47

Dear All,
I am currently trying to find more information on my grandfather Erich Fischer. I talked to some family members and this is what I got out of them:
- he was not a member of the British Forces but I still hope that maybe somebody remembers him or can help me finding some info more about his role or any related info.
- He came to Minden in 1950, after having been a PoW in the US
- It seems that he worked for the Major of the Westminster Barracks in Minden, as he was fluent in English. The job was an administrative position.
- His son, Jürgen Fischer worked for the GSO as well
- He died in 1955 in the Westminster Barracks in Minden, Simeonsstrasse.
- He may have been dismissed from his work due to unknown reasons, though then I don´t understand why he would still live in the Westminster Barracks.

I hope there is somebody here who can help me finding some more pieces to this puzzle and help me learning about more about my grandfather. In return, I might be able to help with some info about Minden, as I was born there and go back there from time to time.

Thank you,
Ingke

Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden   Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden Icon_minitime5/8/2013, 06:09

Ingke

Welcome

I was very familiar with Westminster Barracks in the 1960s but unfortunately for you I don't think there is anyone currently contributing to this site who is familiar with Minden in the 1950s

As you know the whole of the Simeonskaserne site (built for a Horse Artillery Regiment in the Kaiser Wilhelm era I believe has been completely redeveloped.

In my time the Barracks was divided into two. The REME Workshop (Instanzetung einheit) with its entrance off the main Porta Strasse and a number of administrative units including a mainly Civilian Transport Company whose entrance was off the Schadowwall. This unit must have been where your grandfather worked, in y time it was commanded by a British Major.

The status of the GSO changed in the early/mid 1950s with the signing of the German Peace Treaty and West (Federal) Germany being admitted to the NATO Military Alliance, this might explain the rumour about your grandfather's employment.

There is one other source of information you might try, I will contact you privately with details.
Back to top Go down

Looking for info on Westminster Barracks & GSO in Minden
Page 1 of 1