BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 54 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?

Go down 
+4
brum
JPW
Shelldrake
Mark Ellis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-02-02

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Empty
PostSubject: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime2/2/2015, 10:54

I was in the Royal Engineers at Roberts Barracks, Osnabruck from 1980 to 83.

Any exercise to Soltau involved the relevant Field troop and Support troop's vehicles being loaded onto the rail flats at Roberts Barracks, for a train ride to Soltau training area.

As an HQ MT driver, we used to drive the guys up the Autobahn to the rail head on Soltau training area.

Some 30 years later, I am advised that the rail head was at Reinsehlen Camp, which is north of Schneverdingen - north of Soltau itself

I recall that the railhead was on the eastern side of Reinsehlen, and tucked up in an area with trees along both sides.

Much of Reinsehlen infrastructure got ripped out in the nineties, including the tank bridge that went over the Route 3. I don't recall seeing the rows of Nissen accommodation huts that were there in the seventies.

Google didn't start doing aerial photo maps until 2005, and I'm having difficulty finding any photos of the rail head, or map showing the rail head.

So if you've got a Soltau Training area map and can scan the Reinsehlen camp area for me, of photos of the rail head, I would be extremely grateful.

I have a Google map of locations relevant to Osnabruck Garrison. Scroll down the list of Layers until you see the Soltau Railhead and click on it. I've put a blue train image where I think the rail head was

http://goo.gl/maps/AKB8W

I'll add some photos when the Sprog restrictions have been lifted

Last edited by Mark Ellis on 9/2/2015, 22:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime2/2/2015, 15:20

Hi Mark,

Don't think you are far out. This link may be of interest:-

http://www.dorfbahnhof.de/barrl/barrl.html
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime2/2/2015, 16:14

Thanks. Amazing that so many passed through this place, but only a few photos exist of the camp on line - and nothing clearly showing where the rail flats were.

Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime7/2/2015, 18:35

Mark

Welcome

As a Railway Enthusiast who spent who spent many days on the Reinsehlen Training Area in the 1960s I read your query with interest.

Remember the trains half circulating the bivouac area but have no recollection of the sidings you mentioned

Now if you had asked about Reinsehlen Annie (often mentioned in earlier discussions) you probably have been deluged with memories
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime7/2/2015, 19:58

JPW wrote:

Remember the trains half circulating the bivouac area but have no recollection of the sidings you mentioned ...

Could you go into some more details please? Did you come on the train, or see the trains passing by?

I think unless one's vehicles arrived on the train and one had to unload it, you'd never know the flats were even there. I spent 3 years in Roberts Barracks, but never saw a single vehicle loaded on the rail head there. But somehow our 432s, Spartans, and plant equipment materialised at Soltau, Vogelsang, etc Wink

I think this photo is looking up to where the sidings where. If only the photographer had been stood on a vehicle Wink
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Barrl-283-15

JPW wrote:
Now if you had asked about Reinsehlen Annie (often mentioned in earlier discussions) you probably have been deluged with memories

lol!
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime8/2/2015, 07:27

Mark

In my time in Minden and my subsequent tour in Munster I was always associated with units equipted with B Vehicles (including FV 432s). We always tracked to FTX Areas including some significant distances such as Munster Leer or Munster Hildesheim. The only time I can remember FV432s using rail flats was when the newly issued Black Watch FV32s were transported from Minden to the Hildesheim area by rail. My visits to Reinsehlen from Minden to set up a mini FRG were always by road

I think the main users of rail transport were the Centurion equipted Armoured Regiments going to Annual Firing Camps at Hohne. Not sure about the Abbot equipted Gunner Regiments travelling to Munsterlager We do have a number of Contributors with RAC/Gunner backgrounds, they may be able to add more authoritive comments

Certainly in my train spotting time at Reinsehlen I do not recall ever seing a British sponsored freight train, the attraction was the steam hauled passenger trains
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime8/2/2015, 12:45

I think my first stay at Reinsehlen would've been in '60 and there were quite a few visits after that.
I know we used the camp during the period we were ABBOT/FV432 but I have a feeling the tracks were banished to a parking ground, away from the tent area,(being grassed they'd have made a right mess of the place). We were more likely to be based in Trauen by then.
All that being said, our tracks were taken from Hemer to the training area by train but for the life of me, I have no recollection of rail sidings in the Reinsehlen area.

"Reinsehlen Annie" I don't recall, in fact our Ladies of the Night were Five Mark Monica and her mate.

I can't find anyone who remembers the abandoned, WW2 vintage Kino building, that could be found in the woods nearby.
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime8/2/2015, 20:16

We were coming up from Osnabruck.

On one of the exercises where I was driving a Land Rover, I went up on the advance party. Had to retrace my steps back to the main convoy and get them to speed up - as the flats with our kit on were due to leave at a certain time so the next lot could come in.

We supported 17/21 Dancers and KOSB during my time. Soltau for us Engineers was an easy exercise as it was to support the relevant battlegroup, rather than exercise our own skills. So we could have a nice week or two without having to build a single MGB bridge or lay a single minefield  Wink

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? <a href=Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Osnabr10" />
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime9/2/2015, 16:04

IIRC, the railhead was situated to the right of the access road, over the level crossing, from the B3 entrance. In a previous life I was MTO of a Gnr Abbot Regt, amongst other duties, I was responsible for road and rail moves. The majority of rail journeys to the Munsterlager Training area terminated at Trauen sidings or Fallingbostel, can't ever remember using Barrl as Reinsehlen Camp was normally occupied by wheeled vehicles. I once loaded a couple of 432s at Handeloh just along the B3 from Reinsehlen. Back in the day, if you missed the Recce Transport from Hamburg, you could catch a train from Hamburg Hbf, via every Bahnhof in N Germany to Barrl - normally got you in for First Parade. drunken drunken sunny
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime9/2/2015, 23:02

Now that I've been here more than 7 days, I can share URLs and photos Smile

Shelldrake, what years were you in Germany ?

This is the URL to my Google Map, which started life as just an Osnabruck Garrison Map - but is growing to all places I went to between 79 and 83.

If you click on the link above, and then scroll down the list of locations until you come to Soltau Training Area - then click on an item so you can zoom right in. I've marked where I recall the railhead being with a blue steam train.

Just wish I could find some photos of it in use. But as we all know, that sort of location was always everybody in a rush and no time to think about photos

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? <a href=Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Rail10" />
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime10/2/2015, 16:48

[quote="Mark Ellis"]Now that I've been here more than 7 days, I can share URLs and photos Smile

Shelldrake, what years were you in Germany ?

Mark, I served in Germany:- 64-69, 71-76 and 81 -86.
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime10/2/2015, 22:40

Shelldrake wrote:

Mark, I served in Germany:-  64-69, 71-76 and 81 -86.

Must have seen some serious changes over that period.

I've marked an area blue on my Google map between the railway track and Route 3. It is of course right next door to the camp. I can recall the troop harbouring in that area overnight whilst queuing to get on the rail flats. I left a cam net in there once that I'd tossed out of the Rover, and then forgot to put in the next morning. Luckily, one of the sections put it in their 432 Smile

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? <a href=Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Rail-210" />
Back to top Go down
Pborn3
WOI
WOI
Pborn3

Number of posts : 134
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Oswestry, Paderborn, Barnard Castle, Catterick, NI, Bristol, Cyprus, Munsterlager, NI,Sennelager , NI , Rge Control/STC Sennelager/ GSU Sennelager as Civvy
Registration date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime22/2/2017, 00:21

The latest at Reinsehlen - book in at the hotel

http://www.wow.com/wiki/Reinsehlen_Camp
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime22/2/2017, 15:10

Mark Ellis wrote:
I was in the Royal Engineers at Roberts Barracks, Osnabruck from 1980 to 83.

Any exercise to Soltau involved the relevant Field troop and Support troop's vehicles being loaded onto the rail flats at Roberts Barracks, for a train ride to Soltau training area.

As an HQ MT driver, we used to drive the guys up the Autobahn to the rail head on Soltau training area.

Some 30 years later, I am advised that the rail head was at Reinsehlen Camp, which is north of Schneverdingen - north of Soltau itself

I recall that the railhead was on the eastern side of Reinsehlen, and tucked up in an area with trees along both sides.

Much of Reinsehlen infrastructure got ripped out in the nineties, including the tank bridge that went over the Route 3. I don't recall seeing the rows of Nissen accommodation huts that were there in the seventies.

Google didn't start doing aerial photo maps until 2005, and I'm having difficulty finding any photos of the rail head, or map showing the rail head.

So if you've got a Soltau Training area map and can scan the Reinsehlen camp area for me, of photos of the rail head, I would be extremely grateful.

I have a Google map of locations relevant to Osnabruck Garrison. Scroll down the list of Layers until you see the Soltau Railhead and click on it. I've put a blue train image where I think the rail head was

I'll add some photos when the Sprog restrictions have been lifted

Here you go mate:-

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Greenflash%2077_zpskvypql2r
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Greenflash%2058_zpsrpyb9ajn
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Greenflash%2075_zpsau5dz9y9
Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? 14523303_337613549923041_6902186441699700_n_zpsqls7gspw

One of the Nissan huts:-

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? 14639847_337613596589703_4188281209539466692_n_zpsl7ieshou

And finally a map of the area you wanted:-

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? 10359118_10203504622486852_3032669100624102441_o_zpsxbobizk9

As people have already mentioned the railhead was to the east of the camp, to the north of the tank road and just to the west of the name Barrl!
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Place to go - always 2 M apart 4 Star Accn   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime9/8/2021, 17:22

Hallo Campers!

My Mindener Tageblatt last Saturday  double page spread extolling the joys and virtues of camping holidays especially at the former British Training Area Camp at:

https://www.campreinsehlen.de/en/?

https://www.campreinsehlen.de/en/holidays/

Hotelcamp Reinsehlen**** • Camp Reinsehlen 1, 29640. Schneverdingen (Germany) • Tel.: 0049 (0)51989830

Pictorially excellent BUT no mention of that cutting wind that glides across the wide open spaces!
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime13/9/2021, 16:51

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime14/9/2021, 09:20

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? PAEyyW4

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? HRggQoR

Reinsehlen!
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime24/7/2022, 14:25

Hotel Camp Reinsehlen is now a Centre for Conferences, RandR, relaxation and back-to-nature holidays! Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEadorgGWt4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P33ddS1IMdE

and main site:

https://www.campreinsehlen.de/en/meetings/

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?   Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any photos of Rail head for Soltau at Reinsehlen camp?
Page 1 of 1