BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Long shot - building/location identification?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris C
Private
Private
Chris C

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : None
Places Served : None
Registration date : 2022-05-01

Long shot - building/location identification? Empty
PostSubject: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime1/5/2022, 00:15

Hi all,

I am a Canadian and more of my attention has been on WW2, but for the past several years I have been working on a book about the Archer (Valentine 17-pounder SP). I'm close to done and it includes a chapter on the postwar period.

I recently acquired a group of photos through eBay and scanned them today. The unit markings in other photos (crossed keys) clearly identify the vehicles as belonging to 10th Anti-Tank Regiment which was in 2nd Infantry Division in Germany, and based on my research I have narrowed down the timeframe to around 1949-1950. (The regiment was using other equipment until 1949, and in early 1951 anti-tank responsibility was transferred to the RAC.)

Only one of the photos gives any potential clue as to location - the building in the background in this photo. I think it is probably too generic to be of use in identifying the location but thought I'd ask. Any ideas?

I know that the regiment was based in Dortmund from 1948. There are references to batteries carrying out firing practice/training at the School of Artillery BAOR but I do not know where that was.There are also references to Munsterlager, Hohne, and Saltau in the quarterly reports. But I looked through all the photos I could find on the site, and nothing matches.  Any ideas?

Long shot - building/location identification? 10than10

steve likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime1/5/2022, 03:41

Hi a long shot indeed:

https://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/royal-artillery/10th-regiment-ra.html

mention and possibly pictures are available on this site for some of the Bks mentioned:
the picture you have provided is reminiscent of similar garages built in Hitler type Barracks

Chris C likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime2/5/2022, 08:50

Hi Chris and welcome

One of three locations, with respect to the webpage it is incomplete, from my research post VE Day with Kew Public Records Office documentation:

HQRA 2nd Infantry Division
19 Feb 48 – Advance Party – Q (Sanna’s Post) Anti-Tank Battery of 10th Anti-Tank Regiment RA from HQRA 7th Armoured Division
Ubique Barracks Camp 8, Dortmund

7 Apr 48 – Main Party – 10th Anti-Tank Regiment RA formerly 21st Anti-Tank Regiment RA from Hannover District
Regimental Headquarters: Ubique Barracks Camp 8, Dortmund
Oct 50 – 7th Armoured Division

X Anti-Tank Battery
Y Anti-Tank Battery

Z Anti-Tank Battery
31 May 48 – Northumberland Barracks Menden – returns 25 Sep 48
early 49 – Moore Barracks Camp 9, Dortmund

School of Artillery British Army of the Rhine
1 Oct 46 – Dennis Barracks formerly Raudkammer Barracks north of Munsterlager
31 Dec 48 – disbanded

Hope this helps

https://britisharmyingermany.com (under construction)

alan8376 and Chris C like this post

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime15/5/2022, 02:39

Welcome Chris. There's a few of us Canadians on here. Gives the site a distinct touch of class, I must say.

Chris C likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

PostSubject: Garages   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 18:03

There is not a lot left (architecturally) of the old Dortmund and the barracks straddling the old B1.  But there is you tube drone footage of Barker Barracks Paderborn

which shows off the Hitler accn blocks and garages (0:11 and 1:20) in glorious technicolour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sumA-DI8VU

Last edited by Pborn4 on 17/5/2022, 20:47; edited 1 time in total

Hardrations and Chris C like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris C
Private
Private
Chris C

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : None
Places Served : None
Registration date : 2022-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 20:35

Wow, those buildings are definitely of a similar type and that does really help me visualize them. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Cobbles and cleaning mix   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 20:57

I was based in Barker Barracks from 1965.  Those garages were frightening mainly because the steel concertina doors had jumped the over head tracks - so the weight of the doors was on the hinges and not on the track.  Remember closing up early in winter 1966 when we suffered ice-rain - added to the weight of the door panels, and then 3 panels slammed down on the cobbles.  Ice-rain and oily cobbles were not a good mix - in them nasty old days we used to wash the vehicles down*, by hand using a mix of Benzine and OMD-110 and of course everything dripped on to the basalt stone cobbles - slippery!  had to scuff the boots DMS in sand before re-entering the block.   Benzine/OMD 110 wasn't good for the skin either.  And there was a guy in 2 Bty whose coveralls caught fire  - on the gun park. beside an 8 inch.

*back then vehicle/gun livery was shiney olive green (long before IRR) and the theory was that the mix would leave a thin coating of OMD on the painted surface to which mud, road muck, sand (ice rain) and burnt propellant powder would not stick - glad IRR came along and put a stop to that myth.

Last edited by Pborn4 on 18/5/2022, 02:02; edited 1 time in total

Hardrations likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 23:06

Fella's in Shilo used to clean their summer bush caps in Naphtha. Remember a lad who did that. Put his hat badge (RCA) back in and lite up a smoke. Talk about a cheap thrill. Lucky to not damage him self.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime30/7/2022, 11:31

I thought Anti tank RA units had two wheel cannons ?

see http://www.researchingww2.co.uk/anti-tank-regiment-royal-artillery/

Long shot - building/location identification? 411

2 Division in Germany had Cross keys

Long shot - building/location identification? 510
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long shot - building/location identification?   Long shot - building/location identification? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long shot - building/location identification?
Page 1 of 1