BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 66 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 66 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gerry
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Empty
PostSubject: Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post    Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime13/9/2022, 19:25

I have had a request from the curator of the new museum at Ahlhorn for information about Service Vehicles (20,000 or so) parked up at Ahlhorn after the war. I have copied and pasted the original request onto this page so I don't miss anything from the original. If anyone knows about this would you please contact me to set up a private correspondence in the first instance.

Re request is:

Gerry I have a question: We would like to expand the exhibition in the museum in Ahlhorn for the time of the RAF in Ahlhorn. As far as I know, after the war, more than 20,000 military vehicles of the British Army were assembled at the Ahlhorn air base and in Varrelbusch - which is near Cloppenburg -, refurbished and sent back to England. Are there reports in your documents or in the English literature about this time and also photos that we can use for the exhibition? I would be very grateful if you could send me some information or links on this subject. If there are any other tips or information about the Ahlhorn Air Base, we are of course very interested. This year we have already guided 30 groups through the museum and it has been very well received.

Many thanks for your help if you can. I have sent a separate request to the RLC Museum for any information they might have.

Gerry.

steve likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post    Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime14/9/2022, 12:20

Gerry
According to the internet this only happened early 1949, my research is post VE Day 8 May 45 to 1 Mar 49, so can only offer limited information taken from War Diaries/Historical Records held at Kew in London:

15 Vehicle Park Company Royal Army Ordnance Corps
Officer Commanding: by 1 Feb 47 Lieutenant Colonel WG Salmon

19 Jun 45 – 30 Corps District – no location
5 May 46 – 1 Corps District – no location
1 Jul 47 – BAOR/7 Armoured Division less Park
15 Jan 48 – BAOR/Hannover District

by 1 Feb 47 – Ahlhorn south of Oldenburg
1 Jul 47 – Varrelbusch Airfield south-west of Oldenburg
Detachment – Wolfsburg Motor Works east of Hannover

1 Jul 47
15 Vehicle Company
Central Vehicle Depot Varrelbusch
152 Vehicle Park
153 Vehicle Park
154 Vehicle Park
157 Vehicle Park
A Detachment 1 Central Vehicle Depot Workshop Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
15 Jan 48 – Detachment 1 Central Vehicle Depot Workshop – Ahlhorn

There was also 16 Vehicle Company/Central Vehicle Depot Oldenburg, so perhaps both merged at Ahlhorn Airfield.

Best of luck
https://britisharmyingermany.com (under construction)
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Gerry
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post    Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime23/9/2022, 10:37

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your post. It was very helpful and I have sent the relevant info to my contact in Ahlhorn. Following from that his reply to me was that the museum curator had now made contact with the RLC in Winchester and they are now receiving additional information from them, and from other suggested sources. I plan to visit the museum next year when I expect to offer some of my models to them.

Incidentally, I tried to access the website you mentioned at the end of your post but Mister McAfee jumped in and closed my computer down... I haven't tried it since.

Also, I noticed that posts have appeared with a Service ID. I don't know how that happened but I am only a service family member, not a serviceman.

Thank you again.

Gerry

steve likes this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post    Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime24/9/2022, 09:06

Hi Gerry

Sorry my website is causing problems, can assure you 100% clean and NO external links or advertising, suggest you "white list" in your McAfee settings.

Best regards
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post    Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army Vehicles stored/reconditioned at Ahlhorn Air Base post
Page 1 of 1