BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Woodsford - or descended from that name, 1951
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitimeToday at 13:42 by MarieH

» Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitimeToday at 09:14 by Mikeh

» Do you know this place - Bothfeld Kaserne
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 10:44 by steve

» Barker Bks, (prev. Panzer Viking!) Driburgerstr, Paderborn
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:46 by steve

» Horrocks Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:42 by steve

» Soldiers Pensions
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime6/9/2024, 00:09 by Pborn4

» RAPA, Bad Lippspringer
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime3/9/2024, 08:33 by Dee Z

» Polish Air Force
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime2/9/2024, 22:51 by Pborn4

» NAAFI to be closed
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime1/9/2024, 19:07 by Pborn4

» History of the Garrison and Brits in Westfalen (Impacts)
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime25/8/2024, 15:51 by Rocky

» Have you heard of a place called SCHMIEDE?
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime23/8/2024, 20:08 by Pborn4

» Long shot Hildesheim 1964
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime22/8/2024, 04:49 by Kevin1964

» New BAOR-locations website - 25 May 2024
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 11:17 by steve

» Units at Roberts Barracks
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 10:12 by garrymac

» R.A.F. Eindhoven - 1953
The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime16/8/2024, 13:59 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 48 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 48 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Royal Hampshire Regiment

Go down 
+2
JamesD
Paul
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

The Royal Hampshire Regiment Empty
PostSubject: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime1/8/2008, 11:09

Here I am again people asking for help, especially from the "old hands" of The Royal Hampshire Regiment or from anyone who knows anybody who served with them.

I contacted the Regimental Museum and eventually received a reply that was rather dismissive and belittling to the Regiment. Part of the reply is shown below.

"In fact the Royal Hampshire Regiment is no longer and I do not believe any purpose will be served recording their somewhat limited time in Germany, other than the war years."

The italics are mine.

As they are shown on the main site as being in BAOR/BFG on at least seven occasions, I would not call that limited.

So I am appealing to anyone out there who has information that could help.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
JamesD
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime1/8/2008, 13:21

I'm afraid that does seem a typical reply, in my experience of military/regimental museums. Some are more helpful than others but a lot of them don't have much of a concept of friendly customer service.

There used to be a great site called regiments.org that had details of where pretty much every battalion over the past couple of hundred years has served, but unfortunately its down at the moment.
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime4/8/2008, 14:56

The following information was gleaned from the museums web site.
I was a Tiger from 1964 to 1970 and left when the regiment was cut to company strength.
The article gives little detail on where in BAOR the postings were but from memory I think these are about right.

1957-60 Lemgo

1962-65 Munster (where I joined them)

1977-81 Munster

1983-86 Berlin

The Regiment was reduced to one battalion in 1949 and subsequently served with distinction in the Malayan Emergency from 1953 to 1956. After a three year tour in Germany , they moved to the West Indies in 1960 where their tasks varied from quelling uprisings in Jamaica , to hurricane relief in British Honduras and containing a major riot in British Guiana . Following further service in Germany the Regiment undertook an emergency tour in the Far East in 1966, which included six months active service in Borneo . In 1967 the Battalion returned to England to Netheravon as part of the Army’s Strategic Reserve, carrying out a wide variety of duties such as clearing up after the Torrey Canyon disaster, Public Duties in London and serving as part of the United Nations Forces in Cyprus . In 1969 the Regiment undertook the first of its six emergency tours in Northern Ireland .

In 1970 the Battalion was reduced to company strength and was called Minden Company. In 1962 the Company returned from Gibraltar and the 1 st Battalion was reformed. It moved to Hong Kong in 1974 and on its return, undertook its first residential tour in Northern Ireland in Ballykelly. The Battalion then moved again to Munster where it was based from 1977 to 1981. It returned to England to Dover , from where it served five months in the Falkland Islands and South Georgia . In 1983 it was stationed in Berlin and while there, HRH The Princess of Wales was appointed the first Colonel in Chief of the Regiment in 1985. The Battalion returned to Tidworth in Hampshire in 1986 and it was there on Minden Day, 1 st August 1986 , that the Colonel in Chief presented new Colours. In March 1989 it became the Resident Battalion in Londonderry , remaining there until the end of May 1991, when it moved to Colchester .

The Regiment amalgamated with The Queen’s Regiment in 1993 to form a new regiment of two battalions entitled ‘The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment (Queen’s and Royal Hampshires)’.

The Regiment has gained 10 Victoria Crosses during its history, four at the Capture of the Taku Forts in 1860, three in the Great War and three in the Second World War.
Back to top Go down
AGGII
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : RCT/RLC
Places Served : 2 Tours NI(Londonderry),Bosnia
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime28/10/2008, 17:40

In the time 90/91 I was stationed in `Derry as a driver for the L.Rovers and the Pigs at the VCP´s.
The Hampshires being my home Regt.,me coming from Basingstoke,I was still a bit surprised to see guys from my old school.I cant remember any names but would like to hear from those that were there around that time.Maybe we "stagged on " together at the RUC station or maybe up at Charley 2 where I spent a lot of time
Back to top Go down
graham
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: graham george   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime13/1/2009, 18:20

hi i too was stationed at munster bks 1978-80. did one year in shacklton bks derry. six month tour in st georges bks derry. served in y coy and hq coy. would like to hear from anyone who remembers me

regards graham george
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime13/1/2009, 19:52

graham wrote:
hi i too was stationed at munster bks 1978-80. did one year in shacklton bks derry. six month tour in st georges bks derry. served in y coy and hq coy. would like to hear from anyone who remembers me

regards graham george

Graham,

I think you mean Fort George Very Happy

Paul.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime16/1/2009, 14:41

It always makes me very sad to hear about these proud regiments being amalgamated. I remember watching my Father cry when The Lancashire Fusiliers were amalgamated along with all the other Fusilier Bn's

And then of corps my own Corps was lost in '93.
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime19/1/2009, 11:30

Its happened to me twice,1R.Hamps and then the RAOC,perchance I'm jinxed. Shocked
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime19/1/2009, 13:32

I know Nobby,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Royal Hampshire Regiment   The Royal Hampshire Regiment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Royal Hampshire Regiment
Page 1 of 1