BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 71 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 71 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD

Go down 
+13
pete100
steve jones
jim
peterK
SIMMO
soprano54
Hitch
DavidHenley
JAL
fatmedic
Bexy
Webmaster Phil
BRYAN
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BRYAN
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-03-09

RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Empty
PostSubject: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime12/3/2007, 13:23

Fantastic pictures. I was here in 1980/81 and worked in Block 10 which was the main HQ building. I worked in G Int/Sy which was in the attic and more secure than an armoury. We had locks on doors, grills, gates etc. etc. Even locks on locks. HQ 1 BR CORPS was a busy posting.

The pictures show the main entrance. To the left was the accommodation blocks. Mine was a former married quarter block. We had a flat which was divided into a small kitchen, living room, double bedroom and single bedroom which was actually occupied by 4 single squaddies plus an NCO in the bunk (single bedroom). Bit crappy and very dusty and old. Being a former WWII kaserne we had rifle racks in the corridors but these were for Mausers not Lee Enfields or SLRs.

Between our block and the next was a carpark where the bratty waggon would stand on an evening. Nice... Cook house faced it backing onto the square. The junior ranks club aka the Viking Club was upstairs above the cook house. Again a bit manky.

Further round clockwise was block 8/9 compound, with the SKC cinema which I think was called the Globe up near the back gate. Obligatory pub over the road, just outside the gate. Block 10 faced the square. You had to show a special pass to get through the grill into block 10.

Block 10 duty clerk could be a busy shift. Its where the duty officer was also accommodated. All signal traffic was brought from the Comcen to you including Active Edge signals. Callouts were called from there.

The cellar housed the repro room, post room and incinerator for classified waste. Upstairs were several floors where G Ops, Plans, Training etc were plus the Corps Commander (General Bagnall in my time) and Chief of Staff.

Exercise could be called to deploy on the square or full crash out to Lemgo woods. Others called "Cat Walk" just need us to be able to contact a given percentage of staff in the patch. "Startex and Endex" being the key words here.....

Outside the front gate was Detmolderstr. Further down towards town was Bielefeld Sieker tram terminus where we got the tram to town.

There was an outdoor swimming pool further back up Detmolderstr past Catterick Bks which was good in summer.

In winter there was an outdoor beerfest in the town plus an outdoor ice skating rink.

Seeing those pictures brings back so many memories. I would love to go back and see it all again. It was my first posting out of basic and although I was only there a year, I have fond memories of it.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII
Webmaster Phil

Number of posts : 92
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Bielefeld
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Ripon Bks   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime14/3/2007, 12:16

I've had an email form a guy who has a picture of Ripon Barracks in 1934, being viewed from the parade square. I've asked if he would be kind enough to donate it to the site. Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
https://bfg-locations.editboard.com
Bexy
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick, Lippstadt, Herford and lots in between
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime15/3/2007, 07:35

The outdoor ice rink has now sadly been closed down. The bunker down Lippe Hellweg, behind Detmolderstrasse is very much still there and being used as a store for a painting and decorating company.
Back to top Go down
redcap70

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime7/7/2007, 04:52

I was in Block 8 between October 1953 and April 1954 with 1 Corps RMP.
Seeing these pictures brought back memories after all these years!
There are a few B & W photos of the place on my website at:
www.redcap70.net
Does anyone remember the water fountain just inside the main gate? Or the medical centre on the right? And the NAAFI shop?
Was there ever a site plan of Ripon?
Also, as you stand looking at the entrance to Ripon there used to be another barracks just up the road to the left. What was that called?
I remember that they were well built and comfortable barracks. It is a shame to know that they have not been preserved.
It is great to know that the Officer's Mess is still there.
Back to top Go down
fatmedic
Private
Private

Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: ripon barracks   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime7/7/2007, 21:15

Next barracks up from Ripon was/is Catterick
Back to top Go down
redcap70

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime9/7/2007, 20:31

Thanks for that!
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 68
Cap Badge : RASC & RAOC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Minden, Mannheim/Seckenheim
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime13/7/2007, 20:04

I joined up in Bielefeld in 1960 signing on the dotted line in Catterick Barracks. Spent 2 years in boys service (RASC) and where was my first posting. Bielefeld!! Ripon Barrack HQ 1(BR) Corps. Still, at least I knew my way around.
Back to top Go down
DavidHenley
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : 1RTR, RAOC
Places Served : BAOR (4 times), UK, NI, UN Cyprus (twice)
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime22/10/2007, 08:07

fatmedic wrote:
Next barracks up from Ripon was/is Catterick
During my time there (81-85) the NAAFI was situated between Catterick and Ripon Barracks. I used to live in MQ's behind Catterick barracks (Am Niederfeld) and there was a great gastat at the bottom of Am Niederfeld before joining Detmolder Strasse.
Back to top Go down
Hitch
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-05-28

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime24/10/2007, 20:00

Concerning the photo of Rochdale under construction, the uniform of the man on the right is that of a Belgian Captain from the Allied Demilitarisation Commission. This was instituted by the Völkerbund to control all German military activities. It existed until 1937. I guess this was an inspection to see what the Germans were building in Bielefeld.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime25/10/2007, 17:21

Hitch wrote:
Concerning the photo of Rochdale under construction, the uniform of the man on the right is that of a Belgian Captain from the Allied Demilitarisation Commission. This was instituted by the Völkerbund to control all German military activities. It existed until 1937. I guess this was an inspection to see what the Germans were building in Bielefeld.

And the modern equivilent being JACIG! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SIMMO
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : royal artillery
Places Served : celle, bielefeld, herford, izki (oman), hohne
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime17/11/2007, 08:51

hi. i was in bielefeld 78-81. was in married quarters behind ripon barracks (fridjtof nansen strasse). anyone remember HM`S PUB on lipper hellweg behind ripon barracks. my wife worked at the main naafi. i worked in arty div which was the 1 (br)corps artillery headquarters.
Back to top Go down
peterK
Private
Private

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime10/12/2007, 23:44

hi simmo, I remember Hans Myers outside the back gate. remember going in there a lot, can't say I remember leaving as often lol
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime3/1/2008, 14:11

I was in AQ Ops in Block 10 from about 74 - 77. I remember Hans Meyers rather to well LOL

We were quartered in the "Battleship" in Oerlinghausen

Nice posting but always very busy, and yes I remember the block 10 duty clerk, what a bore, the block 9 was OK though, you could get pissed and no one ever bothered you.
Back to top Go down
BRYAN
Private
Private

Registration date : 2007-03-09

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime15/1/2008, 14:16

Yes, I remember HM's. I couldn't think of the name. Thanks.
I used to phone the Mrs from the phone box outside and pop in for a session. Small friendly bar.
Bryan.
Back to top Go down
JT

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime23/1/2008, 00:04

Are any of the viewers/poster still serving there and is that awful bloody man still the SSO?
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime8/4/2008, 07:13

My first posting. 1970, HQ 1 BR Corps LAD. what a fantastic posting. I remeber HM's out the back. And bryan i remeber moving into the accomodation you refer to. it was married qtrs when i first got there and later became available to live ins. There was a bar called the wagoners in the attic of my first barracks, very convenient. and of course there were girls posted there !!!! Great place
Back to top Go down
Niagra

PostSubject: Ripon Bks   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime30/4/2008, 16:53

Hi, I was there 80 - 82 in the QM`s. I went from the bedding store ( with the miserable Sigs WOII) to the clothing stores, where the Comcen girls? put me through hell. "I couldn`t come yesterday, it was my rest day", how did I keep the paperwork straight! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pete100
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : 4TRE Malvern,1TRE Aldershot & 3AFSD RE Belelfeld
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime30/5/2008, 07:17

I was with 3 Army Field Survey Depot RE at Bielefeld from April 1959 through to September 1960 and was amoungst the last of National Service men.
The photos and information have brought back many memories of the place plus Officers Mess as I was Driver NCO and got around quite a bit.
In my day the main building was not fully used we occupied front section and part of side adjacent to railway.
First floor had a store of (reputed) 10 Million maps which was our main reasion for unit being there.
Our sleeping quarter's were adjacent.
Groud floor Officesand administration left of entrance arch.
Internal yard used for parking for vehicles fleet of 6 lorries, Champ and VW staff car.
Right of entrance MT office, store, Assembly hall & other stores.
Basement had Mess Hall always served a good standard of food almost individually cooked by civilian staff. It also had Naffi and NCO Club which was well used.
I have futher recollection of the Barracks, Bielefed and surronding area so I may post some futher memory's later.
I would be intersted to hear from any one of those who may have served with me and hop e my post is of interest.
Yours
Peter
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime30/5/2008, 09:05

Hi Pete, I'm not sure if it was still called 3 Army Filed Survey, but I do remember very well all the maps we used to get from you guys for every exercise, sticking them all together was a right laugh Smile
Back to top Go down
pete100
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : 4TRE Malvern,1TRE Aldershot & 3AFSD RE Belelfeld
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime30/5/2008, 13:16

Hi Jim
Have got confused its Richmond Barracks also know as Brixton barrack that I was at not Ripon.
However I am sure that I would have visited at some time during my duty around the town as we collected rations or did inter bk trips for our CO even the squadies to HQ Cinema.
Thanks for your feed back hope I get some more
regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime4/6/2008, 12:25

And this is a thread about Ripon Bks pete Smile
Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime28/7/2008, 12:03

steve jones wrote:
My first posting. 1970, HQ 1 BR Corps LAD. what a fantastic posting. I remeber HM's out the back. And bryan i remeber moving into the accomodation you refer to. it was married qtrs when i first got there and later became available to live ins. There was a bar called the wagoners in the attic of my first barracks, very convenient. and of course there were girls posted there !!!! Great place
Steve Jones? is that 'Jonah' Jones? married a young lady in the WRAC?
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime5/9/2008, 06:09

Hi Mac, nice to have heard from you. I remeber taking a young WRAC girl to the movies on camp there. She spent the entire movie with her head resting on my sholder. i though she was sweet on me, till at the end of the movie she said "glad the lights are on, Ive got my earing stuck in your sweater" Ah well !!!
There was another pub we used other than HM's up the road a little away from town, almost opposite the imbis. Anyone remeber the name ?
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime24/10/2008, 12:59

Ian wrote:
steve jones wrote:
Steve Jones? is that 'Jonah' Jones? married a young lady in the WRAC?

I wonder...would you be talking about "Brummie" Jones, who was sometimes called "Jonah" (lots of Tattoos) He married a WRAC at Bicester, they were posted to Soest in 1979 or possibly 1980. I lost touch with him after that but did briefly bump into him in Canada in 1981.
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Ripon Bks - Hans Myer Pub   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime22/6/2011, 18:53

Quote :
I remember Hans Myers outside the back gate. remember going in there a lot, can't say I remember leaving as often lol
Taken over by Mike Raynham - his father George was ex-RCT Port & Maritime (worked as a Civvy for the Forces in Bielefeld until retiring some years ago).
George was well known and could be seen propping up the bar at both Ripon and Catterick Sgts Messes in the 60s and 70s (he was an honarary member of both). He was a big fellow with a liking for big cigars!
It has been smartened up and is now called Lion Heart:
RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Captur12
Back to top Go down
http://www.football-linx.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD   RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIPON BARRACKS, BIELEFELD
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next