BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Bullshit Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Bullshit Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Bullshit Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Bullshit Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Bullshit Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Bullshit Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Bullshit Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Bullshit Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Bullshit Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Bullshit Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Bullshit Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Bullshit Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Bullshit Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Bullshit Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Bullshit Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 44 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bullshit

Go down 
+9
ciphers
mjm34
JPW
Bugsy
TaffyS
Mike_2817
brum
jim
Teabag
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 10:46

Drill book topic is drifting into bullshit territory so starting one on bullshit.

Two examples spring to mind.

Visit of HM Queen and her feller to Wildenrath. Boss decides we are to pretend to be tactical on the other side of the airfield. Cammed up FFR landy etc but hang on, the ground is a bit dusty and the Duke might get his shoes dirty. Dig some turf up to put at back of landrover so it is nice and clean. We always do this on exercise (in war?) your highness honest!

Wildenrath again and AOC's inspection. Some sort of war going on with Israel and the arabs again and oil is in short supply. We are not even allowed to drive at weekends. So as per in the British forces, we lash thousands of gallons of diesel cleaning up vehicles just so the nice man can give us a good report. Crazy!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 10:49

A porta loo for Princess Anne at the Rhein Army horse trials, they put a guard on it so no one else but her could use it.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 14:07

Nice to be lapsing into the Anglo Saxon again , Captain Teabag!
Bullshit I hear you cry? There could be nowhere but NOWHERE more bullshitty than a Junior Leader's Regiment, 1950s-60s.
Three times a year a regiment would hold a competition to find the Champion Troop, (best at drill, etc.). Certain fanatics were chosen for the Turnout phase. I watched said fanatics being CARRIED to the place of inspection because walking would've caused the bull to flake from the mirror surface of their boots.
Total, mad BULLSHIT !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 14:43

Not morello shine then. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 15:28

Yet the Guards managed to get a high bulled shine which did not crack with movement Brum. Still witnessed at Trooping the Colour on Saturday.

The Army in their wisdom re-issued the contract for Boots Ankle Leather Soled (aka Ammo Boots) and the new boot comes in smooth leather, meaning they do not need to be burnt down to remove the pimples, which was the main course of cracking polish in the 'old days'

Was not a Boy Soldier myself, but I know the RAOC Juniors got up to the same tricks! What was the other trick Jim? Black Straw Dye?

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 17:21

jim wrote:
A porta loo for Princess Anne at the Rhein Army horse trials, they put a guard on it so no one else but her could use it.
A genuine Royal Flush Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Devizes, Lurgan, RAF Aldergrove x2, Topcliffe x 2 Bielefeld, Lubbecke, Munster, Middle Wallop, Hildesheim, RAF Wildenwrath
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 22:36

Any body remember the the liquid floor polish we put on the boots to make them shiney to save hours of bulling, only to pray all night it would not rain, when it did the boots started frothing up as if u had rampant rabies of the boots.
Back to top Go down

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 00:00

Quote :
Bullshit I hear you cry? There could be nowhere but NOWHERE more bullshitty than a Junior Leader's Regiment, 1950s-60s

Try AAS Harrogate.Even 7 Sigs was a dawdle after that..

Last edited by Gordon. on 15/6/2010, 11:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Sgt
Sgt
Bugsy

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : RAMC
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 08:07

Mike_2817 wrote:
Was not a Boy Soldier myself, but I know the RAOC Juniors got up to the same tricks! What was the other trick Jim? Black Straw Dye?
I believe it was black straw-hat dye.

MsG
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 09:07

I don't remember the straw hat stuff, I do remember as I mentioned earlier the fllor polich which I think was called morello? or something like that.
Back to top Go down

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 11:19

It was,Straw Hat Dye.It was OK for a quick fix but couldn`t stand a close inspection.
Back to top Go down
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Devizes, Lurgan, RAF Aldergrove x2, Topcliffe x 2 Bielefeld, Lubbecke, Munster, Middle Wallop, Hildesheim, RAF Wildenwrath
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 11:35

you were right it was morello, put on iwth cotton wool, and then u hoped it would not rain or there was water on the parade ground.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 11:51

All these solutions were better and faster than bee's wax applied by meths soaked cotton wool-very time consuming but was supposed to give a longlasting gleaming finish
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 12:56

Spit and small circles was all we could get away with.
There was some stuff we would try our luck
with, called "Bodenlack". (It was only later that we realise what the word translates to!)
I notice that the Americans advertise some stuff but the name eludes me, have any of you younger blokes tried it?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 13:17

LOL, that's it Brum, Morello floor lacquer.

My Father had an astonishing pair of best boots JPW, I'm presuming that as he was infantry that's how he'd done his. You could literally shave in them and they lived in a box surrounded by soft shoe cloths. LOL.
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 14:47

Mike_2817 wrote:
Yet the Guards managed to get a high bulled shine which did not crack with movement Brum. Still witnessed at Trooping the Colour on Saturday.

The Army in their wisdom re-issued the contract for Boots Ankle Leather Soled (aka Ammo Boots) and the new boot comes in smooth leather, meaning they do not need to be burnt down to remove the pimples, which was the main course of cracking polish in the 'old days'

'Twas Luton Straw Hat Dye. I found that Halfords spray on Ignition Sealer worked for long enough to get you through a parade, just so long as the inspecting officer didn't look too closely.

Originally, however, as a boy soldier we were issued ammo boots which we had to stud and burn down before bulling them all over apart from a quarter of an inch round the ankle for the lace. BS indeed!

Mike
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 18:19

Always remember a pal of mine in the Army Cadet days. We were due for a ceremonial guard mount and in the cadets we only had one pair of boots issued, I purchased a spare pair from an Army Surplus Store and kept one pair highly 'bulled' in a biscuit tin wrapped in a couple of yellow dusters. Anyhow my pal was chosen to go up in a jump balloon ( we were Parachute Regt cadets), so before his adventure he polished his boots but could not get them up to my standard, one of the para boys told him a quick fix was nail varnish. Well most of us had nail varnish, no we were not fairies, we used it on our right thumb nail for the port arms on rifle inspection, it reflected up the barrel when the officer looked down the spout. Well after my pal had painted his boots liberally with the nail varnish he took off for his ballon ride leaving his boots under his bed. Oh My !!, someone swept the floor, resulting in clouds of dust and a beautiful pair of 'muck-lucks' that used to be ammo boots. He had to wear my second pair of boots, and on the inspection the RSM gave him shit because his boots were not up to para standards. He was ordered to 'get them bulled' and report to the RSM. And that's how I became the owner of two pair of highly bulled boots.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 02:41

I used Halford Ignition Sealer once. There was a big Parade at Buller Bks Aldershot,and I walked from the married patch there, but somwhere in between it rained , and my once shiny black Boots,DPM turned a shade of mauve.
" Tell me what you used," whispered the SSM."But anything you used must damn well work,laddie!"
Actually I still bull my shoes ,and safety boots with Gunk Plastic Spray & Ignition Sealer. It works fine,and I do not have a CSM or SSM to bother about.
Back to top Go down

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 03:30

Being attached to the Guards had its advantages. 200 Cigs could see you with a set of highly polished boots. One such pair of boots,kept under the good old trusted yellow duster,and used only for big parades lasted me for five years.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 09:18

I bulled my boots for a parade in the CCF, then put them under the radiator to dry. Bad idea, the shine totally went leaving me in deep shit.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 16:39

a certain floor polish in the 70s jhonstons kleer i think was very good for a quick bull,untill it rained,it looked like someone had poured milk on your toecaps.
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 16:46

dandc wrote:
a certain floor polish in the 70s jhonstons kleer i think was very good for a quick bull,untill it rained,it looked like someone had poured milk on your toecaps.

I still use Johnsons Klear in model making, brushes on a lot better than gloss varnish and is heaps cheaper. Never thought to use it as ersatz bull though Very Happy

Mike
Back to top Go down

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 17:44

When I was on my Upgraders Course at Bordon in '72, a bloke used to come around the barracks selling an aerosol shoe shine that really worked. Cannot recalled the brand name, but he was later banned from Havannah and Martinique Barracks.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 01:16

Have just recently taken my last pair of ankle boots out of the closet to use for yard work. They were the pair I had for parades or better know as, " C.O.'s Boots", toe capped and buffed down out of their pebbles by the local shoe maker in Deilinghofen. They still had a high shine ( I was taught well in the Cdn. Guards Depot). A bit tight but have loosened up and are comfortable. Fought off the temptation to give'em a good spit shine for old time sake.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 09:32

"Fought off the temptation to give'em a good spit shine for old time sake."

LOL, how sad is that, I didn't retain my boots, all I kept was my gasmask and a few surplus pullovers and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bullshit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bullshit   Bullshit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bullshit
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: