BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Woodsford - or descended from that name, 1951
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitimeToday at 13:42 by MarieH

» Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitimeToday at 09:14 by Mikeh

» Do you know this place - Bothfeld Kaserne
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 10:44 by steve

» Barker Bks, (prev. Panzer Viking!) Driburgerstr, Paderborn
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:46 by steve

» Horrocks Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:42 by steve

» Soldiers Pensions
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime6/9/2024, 00:09 by Pborn4

» RAPA, Bad Lippspringer
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/9/2024, 08:33 by Dee Z

» Polish Air Force
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime2/9/2024, 22:51 by Pborn4

» NAAFI to be closed
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime1/9/2024, 19:07 by Pborn4

» History of the Garrison and Brits in Westfalen (Impacts)
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime25/8/2024, 15:51 by Rocky

» Have you heard of a place called SCHMIEDE?
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime23/8/2024, 20:08 by Pborn4

» Long shot Hildesheim 1964
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime22/8/2024, 04:49 by Kevin1964

» New BAOR-locations website - 25 May 2024
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 11:17 by steve

» Units at Roberts Barracks
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 10:12 by garrymac

» R.A.F. Eindhoven - 1953
My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime16/8/2024, 13:59 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 65 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 65 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

My First Car in BAOR

Go down 
+5
Shelldrake
steve jones
recce83
jerry
alan8376
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 763
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

My First Car in BAOR Empty
PostSubject: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 20:29

My first car in 1967 was a VW Beetle with cable brakes. Not ideal in a freezing wet winter!

It met its death in UK, when it died, by suffering from the dreaded 'valve dropping'. I had to get 'Customs and Excise' in to write it off as I was due to pay Import Tax!

My 2nd car was the Opel Rekord. I fitted Merc seats in the front! I think the BFG Number Plates are still at my Mums!

My First Car in BAOR MyFirst

Last edited by alan8376 on 2/11/2010, 21:05; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 20:47

My First Car in BAOR Car

This was my Ford Taunus in Hameln Big ends went for a burton on the autobahn
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 21:24

Well bless my soul - is that a 1960 Taurus wagon like the lemon I had? It wasn't all the car's fault. The trouble started one Saturday night when I was out at Schmidt's gasthof in Herford. I had set my keys on the table and one of our table companions from 7 Sigs (a certain Signalman B.) decided to go for a spin. I noticed the keys were gone about two minutes before the red caps came in asking the question I suddenly realized was coming: "Does anyone here own....?" They kindly drove me to where my car was more or less attached to a large oak tree so I could confirm its ID.

After I got the car repaired (after a fashion, but that's another story. Remember an American auto insurer called AMIIA that went broke in about 1962?) I seemed to have one problem after another: the exhaust system, the clutch, a fuel gauge that I discovered, too late, was u/s, and finally, like our friend Gerry, its untimely death on the autobahn just west of Bielefeld one dark and rainy night as a result of a broken timing belt. A REME recovery crew hauled it into 4 Div HQ parking lot in Herford, and as far as I know or care it could still be sitting there

As for my very first car in BAOR, it was a Belgian-produced 1950 Plymouth, a huge thing built like a tank. It went around a lot of corners before I got rid of it.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 21:39

an early 1960's beetle. followed by a late 1960's beetle, an opal record and then my one and only, even to this day brand new car. A Peugeot 204. they seemed a popular marque, all tiffys seemd to have the 504, as i was only a lance cpl i had to have a 204, several sgts had 404's.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 08:54

In 1965 I owned a 1956 VW Beetle which at the rate of exchange then probably cost me about £180 - a lot in those days. It was a 6 volt affair with the Battery located (but not secured) under the rear seat, I remember going over the Level Crossing in Lippstadt and the Battery bounced up and welded itself to the metal frame of the seat, it burnt out the Loom but, a very clever REME Electrician replaced it for me for about DM20, could they do that nowadays? The other problem with it was that it didn't have a fuel guage, but a stick, with grauadtions on it to tell you how much fuel was (or wasn't) in the tank, I always knew when it need refuelling, it stopped!! I like the Married Quarters in the background of your photograph, Jerry. They don't build them like that now!
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 763
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 08:59

You mean you have forgotten about the fuel switch above the throttle pedal?

The switch was left = Main
middle pos= Off
rh pos=Reserve

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 09:37

Ach so!
Back to top Go down
Tony Miller
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 76
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Bielefeld,Osnabruck,Leibenau,Munsterlager
Registration date : 2010-10-03

PostSubject: My first car.   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 09:50

Hi matey,

Now theres a memory. Bought my first car with the wifes Maternity Grant I think it was £30. The car was a Auto Union (Audi) DKW. it was 2 stroke. The biggest piece of crap ever bought........There again I did own;

Honda
Avenger
MG
Zantia
Picasso (lost it in floods)
Honda 4x4 pale
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 13:18

recce83 wrote:
W like our friend Gerry, its untimely death on the autobahn just west of Bielefeld one dark and rainy night.
Well bless my soul it was on the Autobahn "east" of Bielefeld That mine collapsed.

Sheldrake
I like the Married Quarters in the background of your photograph, Jerry. They don't build them like that now!

They were very cosy, and could sleep 6 easily they were near the Bridging camp
Proper pikies we were
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 16:16

What a coincidence, my first car was a beetle as well, don't know how old but it had a split rear windscreen.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 17:07

jerry wrote:
recce83 wrote:
W like our friend Gerry, its untimely death on the autobahn just west of Bielefeld one dark and rainy night.
Well bless my soul it was on the Autobahn "east" of Bielefeld That mine collapsed.

Sheldrake
I like the Married Quarters in the background of your photograph, Jerry. They don't build them like that now!

They were very cosy, and could sleep 6 easily they were near the Bridging camp
Proper pikies we were

The outside areas could do with a bit of "Tidying" up.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 19:32

Tony, your right about the DKW. We REME types used to earn a bob or two by fixing peoples cars in the LAD. it was DM 10 per hour, and we had to give half of that to the LAD christmass fund. anyway some guy asked me to have a look at his DKW. what a crappy idea. 3 cylinder two stroke (perfected later by the Japanese motor bike industry) but it had 3 carbs, 3 coils and 3 distributers. effectivly it was 3 single cylinder engines hooked together. getting them timed right individually, and then to each other was a nightmare. as for the wiring loom in the 6 volt VW, not an uncommon occurance, saw that a few times. I had a series of straps and a rubber mat over the top of my battery.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 19:34

Steve, after the REME guy rewired my car, I had a series of straps and a rubber mat over the top of my battery! Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 20:04

My first car was a 1963 VW Beetle. Fed up of it hard starting in the winter, I converted it to 12 volts, using a Bedford RL Generator and fan belt,a Fordson Voltage Regulator and an old Bedford battery.
It started up great after that and I was proud to slave start a Bedford soon afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Tony Miller
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: REME    My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 22:19

Hi Steve,

Am now being serious,what am I saying I always am. Did you serve in the Wksps Bielefeld 69-71? Am sure you may have serviced my car. Mind you 10DM an hour Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 22:27

For 10DM an hour I wouldn't even type what I've typed - but that's inflation for you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 11:29

That was a lot of beer tokens back then. Smile
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 10:52

Jim, in 1991 I could leave camp with 50DM, get loads of beer, have a schnelli and a taxi back to camp and have loose change left over.

In 2005, I took 150 Euros and halfway through the night was looking for a cash machine.....

Now thats true in ferkin flation
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 11:13

Themaadone wrote:
Jim, in 1991 I could leave camp with 50DM, get loads of beer, have a schnelli and a taxi back to camp and have loose change left over.

In 2005, I took 150 Euros and halfway through the night was looking for a cash machine.....

Now thats true in ferkin flation

In 1964 the only person that left camp with DM 50 was the Paymaster and that was the Regiments wages which he took home for same keeping!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 11:36

I know Martin,

On my first night in Germany, in Detmold I went to the Siq SQN club and realised I'd be pissed on DM 5. Smile

LOL Shelldrake, too right mate.

One of the lads who works for me has just been to Amsterdam on a stag party, he says they were paying 7 euro's a pint, that's daylight robbery isn't it.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 12:38

Jim, it all depends on your tastes. 7 Euros for a Pint or 6 Euros for a Spliff? drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 13:20

7 euros - cheaper at half the price... Sad
£1 used to get you 3DM, 3DM became 1.50 Euros...

£4 something a pint.....
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime7/11/2010, 21:17

Tony Miller wrote:
Hi Steve,

Am now being serious,what am I saying I always am. Did you serve in the Wksps Bielefeld 69-71? Am sure you may have serviced my car. Mind you 10DM an hour Twisted Evil

Tony I was at HQ IBR corps LAD at rippon barracks during that time. if i did service your car, did it keep going !!!!
Back to top Go down
Tony Miller
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: My first car.   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 10:48

Steve,
If you serviced my car am sure it would be perfect.

PS I worked n the servicing bay with SSGT Bill Lock, CPL Tom Curry and an RMP called Paddy Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime8/11/2010, 11:32

LOL Shelldrake. Smile

Hey Steve and Dusty, looks like I just missed you guys at 1 (Br) Corps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My First Car in BAOR   My First Car in BAOR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My First Car in BAOR
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next