BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

BAOR Christmas!

Go down 
+7
steve jones
BobG
Phlegmwahn
Shelldrake
brum
jim
brrowe
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 19:49

Hi Chaps,
With the Festive Season rapidly approaching I thought the following photo might be of interest.
I depicts a group of senior ranks (rather the worse for wear, I think) on their way to our OR's cookhouse to serve us with Christmas dinner, in 1957 or 8.
I think it was at Belfast Barracks, (I don't think it was Maresfield, Herford) but I don't doubt that one or two of you knowledgeable lot will be able (from whatever scant evidence is available on the photo) to be able to correct me.
Much of today’s youth just don't know what they have missed out on in our fractured society, and which to me at least, was brought out very vividly during the recent “Remembrance “gatherings,(Comradeship was so evident, even among the Vet's.)
Comradeship seems to be a thing of the past now (except, of course, for those still serving) and as a result a lot has been lost, probably for ever, as I don't think any of our so-called leaders have ever experienced it for themselves.
It is a “Man-Thing” and cannot be understood by many today, as so many of today’s young people seem to lead such insular lives, although I do have a grandson of fifteen who is in the Air Cadets and thoroughly enjoying the experience, which makes me happy, and which I intend to encourage him to go on with.
I will try and find the photo/s that followed this one.
Happy Christmas all!

BAOR Christmas! OfficersChristmas57
Back to top Go down

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 09:23

Definately not Maresfield
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 14:56

LOL, my first thought is how could the poor driver of that Hillman? see. Smile
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 15:18

Memory check.

From the left,

Hillman, Borgward and (maybe) a Ford Taunus

How am I doing ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 15:50

I would agree with that, Brum. I owned a Hillman Minx (BE 706 B) around '67, I wanted to teach my wife to drive in it but because the Handbrake was to the right of the drivers seat I wasn't able to as I wouldn't have had control of the car in an emergency.
Back to top Go down
Phlegmwahn
Sgt
Sgt
Phlegmwahn

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : Paderborn, London, Rheindahlen, Dhekelia, Laarbruch, Brunssum, Hannover, Minden, Bulford, London
Registration date : 2008-11-22

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 16:14

The continentals had some strange cars too. Can anyone remember an Opel with a parking brake operated by the left foot?
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 17:16

The car on the right is definitly a Ford Taunus 12M or 15M. First car I owned was a Taunus 15M, reg HR 60 B.
Bob
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 19:01

Nothing wrong with a foot operated parking brake. I have a 2009 santa fe and it has one. the australian fords (or was in holdens?) had them for years. yes it was Holdens, the tarrana
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 19:20

Don't know where it is but the Mercedes range of 200 series vehicles always had a foot operated 'hand' brake which was released by pulling a hand lever underneath the steering column
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime17/11/2010, 20:02

Phlegmwan, I seem to remember the Opel Admiral had that set up, the problem you had on an Automatic was that you forgot you were driving one and put the "Clutch" and the Brake pedals in at the same time. affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: BAOR Christmas   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime18/11/2010, 19:38

Finally unearthed another photo (same Christmas dinner.)
Seem to remember that the first lot of bottles that were passed down the table mysteriously ended up underneath our chairs.
They were great days!
The chap on my right, Roy Buckingham, ( I'm the one with the remains of my old side parting, by the way) was once reprimanded by our REME O.C. Captain
(Angus) Fraser with these words, "Next time we go on a scheme, Buckingham, I don't want to hear your "Binner" pass by me sounding like a Brewer's Dray.

BAOR Christmas! ChristmasDinnerBAOR
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime18/11/2010, 21:00

brrowe

That picture brings it all back !

Best BD on, loads of Brylcreem on the old "short back 'n sides". Officers bringing the scoff round. Free beer, (I think we used to be rationed to two bottles each, though).

Back to the block and collapse on your bed 'til teatime.

It wasn't such a bad life, was it ?
Back to top Go down

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime18/11/2010, 22:48

Quote :
It wasn't such a bad life, was it ?

It was, to use your favourite word "SHITE"
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/11/2010, 09:16

Cracking phot mate. Loved it.

Gordon, were you really unhappy with the Army? I had some bad moments but overwhelmingly, it was good and I loved it.
Back to top Go down
Phlegmwahn
Sgt
Sgt
Phlegmwahn

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : Paderborn, London, Rheindahlen, Dhekelia, Laarbruch, Brunssum, Hannover, Minden, Bulford, London
Registration date : 2008-11-22

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/11/2010, 09:23

I hated BD and KF shirts they use to itch like hell; bloody awful uniform. Many years later, after the Falklands we were told to go back to wearing KF shirts under our woolie pullies so I had to sew a KF collar to a No2 dress shirt so I'd look as if I had conformed.
Back to top Go down

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/11/2010, 11:23

Jim The 4 years i spent in West Germany was my worst ever posting..

After year one which was quite interesting

Year 2,3 &4 were just a repeat..Same exercises same locations.and same results.

Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/11/2010, 13:24

Got you Gordon, I suppose I was lucky, I had great postings and lots of variety.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/11/2010, 17:05

brum wrote:

Memory check.

From the left,

Hillman, Borgward and (maybe) a Ford Taunus

How am I doing ?

I've been looking at the badge on the car in the middle again.

Perhaps it's not a Borgward after all, that could be the early Opel badge.
Back to top Go down

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime19/11/2010, 17:18

Oh i had good postings after Germany Jim

Far and middle east,south England

Hung up the spurs when 4 Div was mentioned as my next posting.
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime20/11/2010, 19:19

brum!
"Officers bringing the scoff" reminded me of this one.
No! He isn't about to throw it all over me!

BAOR Christmas! ChristmasDinner
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime20/11/2010, 21:24

Feck me - It's Lord Flasheart affraid Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime20/11/2010, 21:30

Thanks for that mate.

That captain looks like the classic officer who grew a moustache to make himself look older, doesn't he ?

I can't make out the collar dogs but the lanyard says RASC to me.

The ribbon could be the GSM. He also has the "wings" that were normally worn by RA officers who had done the Air OP course, (probably Auster in those days). No disrespect intended but that seems unusual to me, did you know him ?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime20/11/2010, 21:41

Gordon. wrote:
Jim The 4 years i spent in West Germany was my worst ever posting..

After year one which was quite interesting

Year 2,3 &4 were just a repeat..Same exercises same locations.and same results.

A lot of the people on this website have fond memories of Germany, Gordon. I think a lot depends on where you were stationed.

Hemer/Deilinghofen was probably the best posting ever for me, but I hated Paderborn with a passion.
I could not get out of the regiment I was with quick enough !

Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime20/11/2010, 22:10

No, I don't know him, he reminds me of the Blackadder character Lord Flasheart though hence my remark. The lanyard does look like RASC, Gold and royal blue but the collar dogs appear to be RAMC - their Lanyard is blood red if I recall correctly.

The Ribbon is the GSM but which one of the two I cannot say, probably the pre 1962 ribbon at a guess.

STOP - the right collar dog is RASC - you can just make out the star shape which is not so well defined on the left hand side (all as you look at them).

Dashing young Captian I'd say...
Back to top Go down

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime20/11/2010, 23:44

Quote :
A lot of the people on this website have fond memories of Germany, Gordon. I think a lot depends on where you were stationed.

Very true Brum..I have good memories of Germany but,not my unit or it`s role.
Rear 1(BR) Corps comhead.Boring boring boring..
Most exiting moment...Winding up the RMP by breaching their security and taping the rear corps commanders orders group for a bet..
The resulting flying s**t was interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BAOR Christmas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAOR Christmas!   BAOR Christmas! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BAOR Christmas!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next