BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Trenchard Barracks

Go down 
+3
Ranger
Les Pattenden
tommy16
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tommy16
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 28
Cap Badge : 2 Royal Anglian
Places Served : celle, Germany, Bosnia, Denmark, Canada, USA, N Ireland, Cyprus, Jordan, Uk
Registration date : 2011-12-05

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/12/2011, 13:40

We was at Trenchard from 1987-1996, 2 Royal Anglian and not 1995 as stated. We left april 96 for uk demo bn warminster battlesbury barracks!
Back to top Go down
tommy16
Sgt
Sgt

Places Served : celle, Germany, Bosnia, Denmark, Canada, USA, N Ireland, Cyprus, Jordan, Uk

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime11/12/2011, 12:16

Can someone ammend please? As this location closes next year!
Back to top Go down
tommy16
Sgt
Sgt

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime30/12/2011, 21:21

Many thanks for ammending this.
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime31/12/2011, 01:31

I have a Nephew who's father was based in Trenchard Barracks and he went to School in the Barracks around 1970, anyone else remember those times
Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Cap Badge : Canadian Rangers
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime22/1/2012, 04:47

My Dad worked with the GSO from 1952 to 1984 at Trenchard for 633 MCTG- RCT. He was a Staff Superintendent. One of his last CO's was Maj. Vice (Wice?).
Trenchard Bks was known to me as von Seeckt Kaserne, Hohe Wende 22, Celle.
When I was young I visited my Dad there and spend a fair amount of time there. I have fond memories from there.
Peter.

Stevecool likes this post

Back to top Go down
REDCAP
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : GB (Catterick, Tidworth, Upavon, Colchester, Edinburgh), NI, BAOR (Celle, Bielefeld, Dusseldorf, Osnabrueck, Herford, JHQ), Berlin, Bosnia, USA, Canada, Egypt, Ghana,
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Memories TRenchard Bks, Celle   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/1/2013, 07:12

I was stationed in Trenchard from 1983 - 1986. I was one of the two RMP Corporals that policed the station. At that time 3 RGJ were the resident battalion; 94 Locating Regiment RA were based in Taunton Bks (Heide Kaserne) in the town centre, and 14 (EW) Sig Regt were in the Bks at Scheuen (the name of which escapes me).

It was my first posting to BAOR, although not my last. My MSQ was just up the road in Vorwerk, and our little Police Sation was the old Wehrmacht guardroom just inside the gate of Trenchard (West), next to the Post Office. It is now gone, as it was burnt down by a member of RRF many years ago in an attempt to destroy evidence against him which he believed was held in there.

Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 13
Places Served : Hamm, Celle, Steyerberg, Hohne
Registration date : 2021-04-09

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime9/4/2021, 20:35

Ranger wrote:
My Dad worked with the GSO from 1952 to 1984 at Trenchard for 633 MCTG- RCT. He was a Staff Superintendent. One of his last CO's was Maj. Vice (Wice?).
Trenchard Bks was known to me as von Seeckt Kaserne, Hohe Wende 22, Celle.
When I was young I visited my Dad there and spend a fair amount of time there. I have fond memories from there.
Peter.
I was with 633 MCTG-RCT in the Hohe Wende from early 1974 to around early 1977. Can't remember the OC's name but the German Staff Superintendent's name was Herr Burwig.

Ranger likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime9/4/2021, 23:32

I never heard the Name Burwig. There were other Guys working with my Father. You don't remember
any other Names? My Dad was Tony Zwikirsch. He retired from there in 1984.

Celle1974 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 01:04

Sorry Peter, no, I don't. Burwig is the only name I remember because I shared an office with him, but of course it's a very long time ago. We had a couple of OCs but I don't remember their names. Do you remember the forest fires in August 1975?  This might jog your memory - I'm not allowed to post live links yet  - look up Fire on the Lüneburg Heath on Wikipedia. Did your Dad ever mention that? We were all deployed to evacuate civilians from their isolated farms and the fuel and ammo dump at Ironside Bks in the forest at Scheuen.

633 was through the first Trenchard Barracks gate on the Hohe Wende. The 633 MCTG offices shared the admin block with RMPs and the Posties. The RMPs had an all ranks mess on the top floor which we all used. The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire was stationed further down the road in the main camp at the time.

Cheers, Chris

Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 01:54

Hi Chris, thanks for your Post. I certainly know of the Forest Fire. I also know Ironside Bks in Scheuen.
Some of my Friends played Soccer with the Soldiers there. We, my Family, lived just past Scheuen in a little Place called Waldkater. I left Germany in October 1974 and immigrated to Canada. My Parents moved to Celle a while after.
Yes, 633 was the first Gate, my Dad's Office was in the first Building on the right once you past through the Gate. I have been there many times to see my Dad and also was invited to some Functions. I remember meeting my Dad's Boss, I think his name was Major Vice. They had a good Working Relationship. I remember, Dad always speaking well of him. The Main Camp was off limits
for us of course. I remember different Regiments being stationed at the Main Camp.
Cheers, Peter.

Stevecool and Celle1974 like this post

Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 03:03

Hi Peter, I had been attached to the PCLU in Hohne. I arrived at 633 on Monday 1 April 1974. I remember it well because it was All Fools Day and people were telling me I'd come to work in a mad house!  

So if you left Celle in October of that year there's a small chance we may have met. I've racked my brains but I can't remember your Dad though. Did he by any chance have anything  to  do with sailing at  the Dümmersee Yacht Club, the BAOR sailing training centre? The SQMS at  633 (I can't remember his name either) and I were keen sailors. The main work done by 633 was providing a major source of drivers and 3 tonners and Rovers for the Red Parcels Service for the region covered by 24 Tpt&Mov Regt. RCT.

The SisiGrill schnellimbis is still on the corner of the Hohe Wende and the main drag. I often used to go to a pub on the left on the steep bit of the main road going down into the town. The Kneipe was called Ballands but that's been gone a long time.

In 1977 I was posted to an RCT MSO unit in Steyerberg near Liebenau, part of Nienburg garrison. Last time I was in Celle was when I drove through on a nostalgia trip round Germany 20 years later in 1995.

Off topic: Sad news about Prince Philip,  but he has has a good run for his money. My Dad passed away 4 years ago and would have been 100 this month.

Cheers, Chris
Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 04:40

Hi Chris, This is very interesting, even so you don't remember, I'm sure somehow you must have met
and there is a very small chance that we also have crossed Path's.
from what I know, my Dad was in Charge of moving Goods and Mail around. He didn't have anything
to do with Sailing.
Sissi Grill was a popular Spot, I stopped there sometimes as well. My Dad passed away in 2007, he as almost 88 years old. Since my Parents are both gone, I don't visit there much anymore. My last Trip to Celle was 2017 to see my Brother.
Hope you don't mind me asking, where do you live today and how old would you be?
and Yes, sad about Prince Philip but he had a good run indeed.
Cheers, Peter.
Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 05:34

Hi Peter, I  am in  my  mid 70s and I have lived in Thailand since 2000 where I have a company. You seem to be a lot  more up to date with Celle than I am. My Mum passed away in November. She was also 96, so I have no reason now to go back to the UK, and I don't know if I'll  ever go back to Europe now.

Do you remember anyone else from 633? There were two young English lads driving Landrovers there. They were the sons of serving army personnel, and I think one was the son of the SQMS, but I guess they would have moved back to the UK when their fathers were posted back there. Maybe you knew them?

Best, Chris
Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 05:52

Hi Chris, how small the world really has become, you ended up in Thailand, I'm in Northern Canada.
I'm going to be 70 this year. So we are close in Age.
I didn't know many People at 633, only some of of the People my Dad worked with and and a Driver
and 2 of the Cooks. I'm sure they have passed on by now.
Take care Chris,
Cheers, Peter.
Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 06:03

Hi Peter,
After my time in BAOR I moved to Berlin until 1989, then to France, and then here in Thailand 20 years ago.
I've travelled a lot. Canada - one of the few places in the world I've never been! I'd love to go to Quebec, I speak fluent French - and perfekt German of course.

You too, Peter, take care .

Cheers, Chris
Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 06:16

Hi Chris, I have not travelled much in my younger days, more so now. Sadly Covid has stopped that
for now. Hopefully we get back to some kind of normal. Canada is a beautiful Country. If you ever want
a Northern Experience, once Covid passes, let me know. I'm really close to Alaska.
Cheers, Peter.
Back to top Go down
Celle1974
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime10/4/2021, 06:33

Aw, near Alaska, now that is a long way away - or maybe not, depends which way round the world you go. I have a friend there but we only meet in New York or Washington D.C. I don't get about so much these days. I have to fly around Thailand a lot for my work but 2 hours max is pretty much all I can sit in a cattle class plane seat these days! I went to the UK 4 years ago to see my Dad off - and I literally arrived just in time and that was the last long trip. I couldn't go of course when my Mum passed away.
I spent a week in China very early last year on business but that was only a 2.5 hour flight from here.  But no one has been allowed in or out of Thailand now for a year unless they have special permission. Perhaps we'll get back to normal one of the days then maybe my grown up grandchildren can come.

Look after yourself, Peter.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 18:06

Youtube view of Trenchard Barracks, Celle:

Ranger likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ranger
Cpl
Cpl

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 18:53

That Video certainly brings back many Memories. At the first Gate, the Building on the right is
where my Dad's Office was and the Building on the left was where he lived. When I was really
young, I stayed with him there during School Holidays.
Sad to see the Buildings in such a poor state.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime17/5/2022, 19:06

The Barracks have been empty at least 15 years. The owner is the Federal Finance Ministry (represented by Institute for Federal Real Estate (Bundesanstalt für Immobilien Anlagen m (BImA))who plainly don't believe in any spend to save measures and they would probably like to sell the property as a single lot! - thouggh technically anything growing on the site (saleable timber) is a Federal Forestry asset.
If I find online data on other former Brit Sites I do tend to add them on relevant pages here.
In Paderborn (where I served around 12 yrs as a soldier and 30 years as a civilian employee) the BImA have been more adventurous and Paderborn had a Konversion programme up and running - some quarters have been let out through the Paderborn Uni Student housing , one Barracks has been demolished to provide affordable housing - although buildings that were under a Protection Order as historical designs have been left standing - but the new Town Quarter (Stadt Revier) retains the name of the Barracks - Alanbrooke Quarter, and it seems that the PB University Technology Park will be put in to the former Barker Barracks.
Back to top Go down
RogerOut
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-03-11

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime11/3/2023, 20:15

Actually just came across this site so thought I’d post. I spent four years at Trenchard Barracks in Celle, seeing the YouTube video certainly brought back some memories.
I was there from 2001-2005 with 1RRF. I remember the eagle statue by the swimming pool and the tunnels that were closed off. Lots of stories about the camp, not sure how many of them were true though!
Had a good time there mostly.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime11/3/2023, 21:06

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trenchard Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trenchard Barracks   Trenchard Barracks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trenchard Barracks
Page 1 of 1