BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 50 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 50 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

German behaviour

Go down 
+11
bigmal
jim
cartav
Teabag
Dee Z
pinky
ciphers
gingerjim
brum
Shelldrake
pete26
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

German behaviour - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 10:34

cartav wrote:
Seems to be quite an interest in the goings on in NI, but can see that a deviation from what began as a strictly BFG thread cpuld be confusing (& maybe, irritating !!) to any who might want to get back to Krautland matters.

What I have read shows there's much about the NI experience that is worth sharing with all, apart from those who were involved. Seems logical & beneficial to everybody for a new topic to be opened which is devoted to NI matters.

What ? No volunteers ? I don't believe it !

Bound to be interest old chap, it was units from BAOR that went to NI, taking them away from deterring the Soviets.

"Deviation" ? "Confusing" ? On this website ?

Balderdash !
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 11:03

brum wrote:
!

Bound to be interest old chap, it was units from BAOR that went to NI, taking them away from deterring the Soviets.

"Deviation" ? "Confusing" ? On this website ? Balderdash ![/quote]

Eh up, Brum ! Nice to see you in accord ! Agreed BAOR units were involved in NI. Well worth a separate topic , and quite relevant to a BFG website.

But not relevant to "German Behaviour" after sneaking into that topic, and all such deviations, for that's what they are, can be worthy of their own spot where additions & expansions on their own theme can be given proper prominence . NI is one such and keeping all accounts of related experiences together adds to their value.

New Topic please ! Go to it !
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 14:23

[quote="brum"][quote="cartav"] but can see that a deviation from what began as a strictly BFG thread cpuld be confusing.

"Deviation" ? I'll give some deviation pal !

What could possibly be the origin of a word like "balderdash" ?

(. . . and how do you pronounce "cpuld" ?).
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 17:22

brum wrote:

"Deviation" ? I'll give some deviation pal !
What could possibly be the origin of a word like "balderdash" ( A) ?

(. . . and how do you pronounce "cpuld" ?).
( B )

A. Balderdash ? dunno, mate.... One of yours, not mine !!!!!

B. Cpuld ....... Caused by inexcusable finger trouble or possibly an abbreviation
for the similarly sounding "Coupled", which indicates DEVIOUS
activity between a consenting pair .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 17:28

Quote :
DEVIOUS

What is it with you old blokes that you manage to introduce SEX to every thread? Arrow
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 17:41

Brum our chat regarding Lurgan/Portadown has clearly not gone down very well with some troops...looking forward to my retirement then will have more free time to join in...at the moment check in the morning and the evening and feel if a post is worth reply to do it...something to do with gas bottles was the point I think...all the best young Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 17:50

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
DEVIOUS

What is it with you old blokes that you manage to introduce SEX to every thread? Arrow

Just like the old BAOR days Brum those who talk about it are not getting it... Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/6/2012, 17:54

[quote="steve"]Brum our chat regarding Lurgan/Portadown has clearly not gone down very well with some troops../quote]

Don't take too seriously Steve ! (at least most of it !) It's just Brum and me having a tongue in cheek dig at each other....... I think ! Keeps the wits sharp when there's nowt but football on the tele.
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

Number of posts : 105
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Iserlohn, Herford X 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime30/6/2012, 09:04

I saw advertising for a Katja Ebstein at a concert to be held in Bad Salzuflen later this year, now there's a name from the late 60s.

Hi Lee Hi Lo , Es war ein mal ein jaeger.........
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime30/6/2012, 19:59

this meandering sex fingy , wos it brass or staybrite. ginger
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime30/6/2012, 22:21

steve wrote:
Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
DEVIOUS

Just like the old BAOR days Brum those who talk about it are not getting it... Laughing

I Feel like my avatar, Old Bill, All this stuff, having nothing to do with me, flying over my head !
(Adherents to this trivia will note, I have NEVER mentioned sex !).

Over to you, Over ! tongue
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime30/6/2012, 22:23

gingerjim wrote:
this meandering sex fingy , wos it brass or staybrite. ginger

Tell me Jim, have you any connection with Spike Milligan ?

(There is a certain amount of lateral thinking going on here !).
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime1/7/2012, 10:05

brum wrote:
steve wrote:
Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
DEVIOUS

(Adherents to this trivia will note, I have _NEVER MENTIONED SEX !).

Over to you, Over ! tongue

Roger that ! Hate to call attention to it, but you just have !
And it has been my experience that young whippersnappers who repeat such comment as you quote, are those who have just discovered it and think they invented it........
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime1/7/2012, 19:02

brum it is said i am as nutty as spike milligan , but i cant quite share his genius ginger.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime2/7/2012, 21:01

Probably just as well mate, he did go a bit barmy in the end !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime6/7/2012, 11:15

Not to be picky, but if we can get Lt Col right, how come it's Let Gen Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime6/7/2012, 12:01

We got that one wrong, just like "Le Laughing Maj
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 18:21

Earlier on in this thread, several of you mentioned the heaters -- or lack thereof -- in your barracks.

I distinctly remember oil space heaters lit by those taper things one lit then dropped into the top of them -- into the pool of oil if memory serves (might be wrong on that point. Does seem an opportunity for one helluva flash fire to me!). Damn things reeked.

On my Dad's 2nd tour, housing was at a premium and after staying with German friends for 3 months we moved into a dinky 2-room place in a tiny village just over the hills from the Sorpe sea called Mellen, not far from a town out along the Hoennetal called Balve. It consisted of a large kitchen and a bedroom off the side. Mom and Dad had the bedroom and I slept on a horse-hair divan in the kitchen (lit by a round flourescent light in the middle of the ceiling one could hear blinking into life when Mom got up and turned it on in the mornings....I hated that sound!).

At the foot of the divan was an ancient old space heater. Dad had to truck down to the back shed every other day or so, pump out oil from the large tank down there into some sort of jerry can or whatever and haul that up to the room to fill the damn thing. Even now, some 40+ years later (aaaaaghh!!!) I can still recall the aroma of damp that permeated the rooms and this thing's oil. Stifling.

We also boiled our water, as an aside. And Mom used what she referred to as her German kettle to make coffee or tea. A coil one plugged in and stuck into the water...as the coil heated up it of course boiled the water. Imagine sticking a coil into a cup or container of water! But that was what was used.

She also had her "German washing machine". a long-handled thing with a large perforated brass bell on the end. This thing would be plunged up and down in a tub of water full of clothes, the idea being it agitated soapy water through the clothes. One step up, I suppose, from taking them down to the river and pounding them on the rocks!

Primitive....but interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 18:56

Quote :
Imagine sticking a coil into a cup or container of water! But that was what was used.

A curly poker Stephen..Used them often..and still lived to tell the tale Laughing

German behaviour - Page 5 423901_404792529536004_100000157827758_1786708_573641978_n
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 19:13

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Imagine sticking a coil into a cup or container of water! But that was what was used.

A curly poker Stephen..Used them often..and still lived to tell the tale Laughing

German behaviour - Page 5 423901_404792529536004_100000157827758_1786708_573641978_n

If you owned one of those in the Barrack Room, you were everybodys mate!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 20:07

Used them a lot on exercises...
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 21:34

Stephen Lock wrote:

She also had her "German washing machine". a long-handled thing with a large perforated brass bell on the end.

Clever lot these Germans ! Long handled thing with bells on ! Sounds a bit like our more basic "posher".......... long handled thing with three smaller bits on one end that was shoved up & down in the dolly tub , or built in copper if the house was older. But bells ! That sounds exotic,....... !'Exclamation'
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 21:53

[quote="Shelldrake"][quote="Gordon."]
Quote :

Had one once that worked off the fag lighter socket in the motor,,,,,,,,,, but sticking a compo tin half full of water on the exhaust manifold could be quicker, but dodgy if it got anywhere near the spark plugs. Come to think of it, kids dined on tins of baby food on a journey which were heated the same way.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 22:11

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :

Bless you sir !
What we have, here pictured, is the much -discussed-earlier, "brew stick".
A barrackroom would club together to buy one.
Having cadged a large can from the cookhouse and with a stock of tea and sugar, left over from the guard's supper, you had the hub of a warm, enclosing little community to which you belonged. Totally alien to the civilian world but very important to the young soldier. The tea was usually shite but that was irrelevelent.
(Shit I've spelt that wrong, EPC (A) shot to bits). If anyone reading this never experienced such comradeship, then your life is that much the poorer for it.
Sah !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/7/2012, 23:15

That reminds me.The one we used in camp had the two pin German plug while the exercise one was adapted to three pin UK plug.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: German behaviour   German behaviour - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

German behaviour
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next