BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
royal regt artillery Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
royal regt artillery Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 76 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 76 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

royal regt artillery

Go down 
+5
Nobby
Shelldrake
brum
cartav
ronnie french
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ronnie french
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 56
Cap Badge : royal artillery
Places Served : rhyl. herford
Registration date : 2009-05-01

royal regt artillery Empty
PostSubject: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime25/6/2013, 15:22

looking for any gunners that served in the 12th.l.a.a, regt ra,in celle and herford from 56-57
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime25/6/2013, 16:47

ronnie french wrote:
looking for any gunners that served in the 12th.l.a.a, regt ra,in celle and herford from 56-57

............................................................................................................
Welcome to the merry band !   Sorry can't help with 12 LAA. I was with 16LAA at Osnabruck & it's good to have someone with a similar background around.  Without the internet I managed to dig up twenty or so mates from the 1950's......   Drop me a PM if you want any advice on what to do.

Seem to remember we had an ex 12 LAA lad, name of Mc Calliog ,  posted in  when he got busted down & lost his stripes.  That must have been mid-1955 as he turned out to be the best layer 32 Bty had got.  Fired the L60 like a shot gun on single shot at Todendorf & brought the average down to 40 rounds per sleeve from 70 which was the norm.

Try putting "12 LAA" into Google, you'll probably get some contact info there.  Stick around anyway !  You'll have to put up with Shelldrake & Brum
enthusing over their big firework (Honest John), but it's all good fun.... 

Back to top Go down
ronnie french
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime25/6/2013, 20:01

CARTAV,thanks mate for the info,i have found some of the old pals from other sites,i played f/ ball at Osnabruck a few times for the 12th,also cricket,if you played any sport you had it made,as I had at the 38th at rhyl,and the 12th all the besr ron (Geordie}
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime25/6/2013, 20:15

"38 at Rhyl", a 19 set jockey then ! I was there 58/59, 72 Bty.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 09:01

You'll have to put up with Shelldrake & Brum wrote:
Quote :
enthusing over their big firework (Honest John), but it's all good fun.... 

Haven't started yet on the Pack How, Light Gun, 5.5in, Abbot or M109!SleepSleep
Back to top Go down
ronnie french
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 15:25

BRUM,the best part of the 19 set was turning it off,did most of my time playing f/ball,for the regt on a Saturday,playing foe the 2nd team on a Tuesday,and for the troop on wed,went back there a few years ago houses are now built on the pitches,a refridging company had part of the camp,and the police force had the shooting range,but they were happy days there,do you remember the dance hall above the bus station,some good Saturday nights there.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 16:50

I was back in Bodelwyddan a couple of years ago too. I couldn't figure out where the camp had been 'til I realised they'd moved the A55 over.
I think the dance hall was out of bounds to us. There was a dance in the gym in 31 Regt though.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 18:03

Last edited by cartav on 26/6/2013, 18:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 18:29

cartav wrote:

Shelldrake

Haven't started yet on the Pack How, Light Gun, 5.5in, Abbot or M109!:[/quote]

..................................................................................................................

I'm impressed !  But as you've shown me yours, have a shufti at mine-------

3Mk.2F,   L60,   40/70,   25 Pdr ,  Thunderbird,  &    9 Pdr ML (!)  

And a brief association with a Russian A/T thing which was nicked by our lot from the Afrika Korps.  Not sure what it was, maybe a 45mm, but it certainly took a snooker ball & Thunderflash up the back end.  Very frightening.

And nearly one more, but Brigade claimed it as a gate guardian.  Seniors & Offs were out on a TEWT when their interest in maps & chinagraph was disturbed by a farmer. " 'As tha cum for t'gun ?" he asked.  " Er...... No..... What gun ?".   Turned out some military chaps had shoved a WW 1  18 pdr in one of his barns, that was way back in WW 2 when said gun was part of an exercise.  It was towed back to base, but as related , it ended up in Brigade HQ.[/quote]

Last edited by cartav on 26/6/2013, 18:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 18:31

[quote=... 
 Shelldrake

Haven't started yet on the Pack How, Light Gun, 5.5in, Abbot or M109!:[/quote]

..................................................................................................................

3Mk.2F,   L60,   40/70,   25 Pdr ,  Thunderbird,  &    9 Pdr ML (!)  

And a brief association with a Russian A/T thing which was nicked by our lot from the Afrika Korps.  Not sure what it was, maybe a 45mm, but it certainly took a snooker ball & Thunderflash up the back end.  Very frightening.

And nearly one more, but Brigade claimed it as a gate guardian.  Seniors & Offs were out on a TEWT when their interest in maps & chinagraph was disturbed by a farmer. " 'As tha cum for t'gun ?" he asked.  " Er...... No..... What gun ?".   Turned out some military chaps had shoved a WW 1  18 pdr in one of his barns, that was way back in WW 2 when said gun was part of an exercise.  It was towed back to base, but as related , it ended up in Brigade HQ.[/quote][/quote]
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime26/6/2013, 20:19

cartav wrote:
[quote=... 
 Shelldrake

Haven't started yet on the Pack How, Light Gun, 5.5in, Abbot or M109!:

9 Pdr ML (!)  

Now I know I'm going to regret this . . . a muzzle loader ?
Even FM Gordon ain't THAT old !

Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime27/6/2013, 15:46

brum wrote:

9 Pdr ML (!)  

Now I know I'm going to regret this . . . a muzzle loader ?
Even FM Gordon ain't THAT old !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well spotted Brum !   But first an apology for previous finger trouble in posting stuff in Army-style duplicate........

Now a history lesson.  After seeing off the Young Pretender & the Scottish Nationalists at Culloden,  the government reviewed the threat, thought it was  minimal & decided to save a pound or two by reducing spending on the armed forces. Consequently there was panic when the French king was topped by the riotous Terror mob in 1793 and France declared war against Britain & the Netherlands.   What to do ?  Beef up a depleted army by promoting the recruitment of local volunteer forces, an early TA, in fact..............  Sound familiar all this ?

In my neck of the woods, an artillery company of the Loyal Independent Volunteers was raised in 1794, they were armed with the two ML bronze cannon. Units were disbanded in 1802, then reactivated in the mid-1800s when there was further French inspired bother in Europe.  To reduce the affect of this  "stop-starting" the Volunteer Act of 1863 formalised and standardised the volunteer forces to such an extent that there were  8 local batteries in 1865.

Eventually, after years of neglect by the Council,  the two cannon found their way into the post WW2 artillery element of the local volunteer forces, and remained there until a TAVR amalgamation in 1961.
Apart from early attention with Brasso & cotton waste,  my personal involvement  seems to have been limited to assisting with some stripping down to barrels, wheels & stout oak carriages and moving same for re-erection as centre pieces at Regt. Balls etc.   There's a previous bit about firing the things on that recent bit by Ciphers on the Canadian museum topic...............  I think !
Back to top Go down
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Number of posts : 79
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime27/6/2013, 21:52

royal regt artillery They_a12

This is the Hants & Isle of Wight cadets carrying out a 25lb Field Gun display on Southsea Common in front of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth to celebrate the Silver Jubilee in 1977.
We had the loan of the gun fro RSA Larkhill.
I'm the Detachment Commander and had the honor of presenting the team to Her Majesty on completion of the display.
I went on to join the REME in November of the same year.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime28/6/2013, 03:16

Better photo

Len (Ciphers)

photo they_a12_zpsb26c1ef2.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Nobby
WOII
WOII
Nobby

Number of posts : 79
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Tidworth, Sennelarger, Werl, Munsterlager, Catterick, Paderborn, Ripon, Detmold, Marchwood.
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime28/6/2013, 07:51

ciphers wrote:

Better photo

Len (Ciphers)

photo they_a12_zpsb26c1ef2.jpg

Thank you Len

As you can imagine, i have had this photo since 1977 and it was scanned in. Appreciate your help.

All the best

Nobby
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime29/6/2013, 11:20

ronnie french wrote:
CARTAV,thanks mate for the info,i have found some of the old pals from other sites,i played f/ ball at Osnabruck a few times for the 12th,also cricket,if you played any sport you had it made,as I had at the 38th at rhyl,and the 12th all the besr ron (Geordie}

Spent some abortive time seeking the "quote" button before I could come back, Geordie..
If you were on the football pitch at Quebec Bks in Osnabruck, we might have bumped into each other. Not that I was talented enough to chase a ball about, but 32 Bty's BHQ block was almost adjacent. My own sporting activities, of sorts, were limited to M/c trials &
shooting. And the odd bit of long distance fornication when the chance arose......
Back to top Go down
alantalbot
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Cap Badge : R.A. R.E. & 3WER
Places Served : Munster Larger & TAVR
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: 38 Regt   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime12/4/2015, 11:17

brum wrote:
"38 at Rhyl", a 19 set jockey then ! I was there 58/59, 72 Bty.
Where you not lucky? Our cook-house was closed for delousing & we had to eat with you lot, it was like being back with mother.I remember doing fatigues in our cook house and asking a greasy L/Jack, what to do about the maggots on the bacon? " scrape them off and then slice the bacon as thin as possible".
We had a guy called Ray Phillips who did 39 consecutive days CB, day started for him,0060 mount with the guard with full FSMO, normal duties until lunch time when he reported to the guard commander, normal duties and then mount with the new guard again FSMO, fatigues until 2300 when he was allowed to relax and prepare his kit for the next day.
Why not something similar in to days prisons?
Back to top Go down
Tonyp11
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : woolwich,NI X2, Germany, Cyprus, Larkhill, left the army in june 2000
Registration date : 2018-11-10

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime10/11/2018, 23:23

during my training at Woolwich I joined my first troop and our week 1 training was at Crowborough and it looked like a WW2 camp for housing soldiers, if not then it could have been a POW camp  cold and damp and that was the wooden huts which had a round coal fire/cooker in the middle of the floor, the weather was not to good either and that was in march 1980, anyway when I got back Squadded to the second intake I again went away for our week one training which this time was Hythe which was more modern and warm and a big difference to the one I encountered in my first troop, we could see the sea from the camp and the white cliffs, every morning at 5.30 we all had to get into our pt kit and run down to the beach and once there we was made to totally strip off and run into the sea and we had to emerge completely wet and whoever didn't have wet hair was made to do it again and after 3 warnings your hair was still dry the instructors made sure your hair got wet as they threw you in and you couldn't try to run away from them as your couldn't outrun them and even if you managed to outrun them they would have at the barracks, all the buildings was lovely and warm dinning room and NAFFI was great, we did long short runs every day and boxing and on the last day we would have a race on a 3 mile course just for fun but what we didn't know until after we completed it we was actually being timed and we had to do it a certain time but we all passed, some lads was complaining about the early morning swims and on our ice breaker I spoke to the lads about the experience I had in my first troop and the 1st week training camp and I told them all about the differences between the two camps and by the end they all stopped the moaning and found themselves lucky in which I was actually praised by the instructors and our troop commander was told about it on our return to Woolwich, all week we had lovely sunny weather and I also told the lads that they were lucky as at Crowborough it rained all week and was quite windy and cold, while we was waiting for the buses to turn up to take us back one of the PTI's decided he would play a trick on me and he got some of the other instructors to watch, well I had a cup of tea in my right hand and he shouted Parker whats the time so that everyone would hear him and watch my reaction, so I put the cup in my left hand and told him the time and his answer and reaction was bastard and he laughed about it so did all the instructors, as he was expecting me to just turn my right hand so that I would spill all of my tea and he said theres no tricking you everyone laughed and the PTI said ill get ya with a laugh but he shook me by the hand for being a sport, week 1 was very easy as they were just easing us in but we got back to Woolwich on the Friday afternoon and we was given the rest of the day off as well as the weekend but they warned us that as from 4am Monday things would be getting tougher as they had to break us down to rebuild us better, stronger, faster, and more knowledgeable
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 653
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime27/11/2022, 11:23

12 Regt in many guises! Wondered about the London Fire Brigade Commander on TV last night wearing what looked like GSM 1962 ribbon - so looked him up online:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Roe

Andy Roe
In 1997, Roe was commissioned from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and joined the 12th Regiment Royal Artillery as a second lieutenant. [Dempsey Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus: 12 REGT RA 1995-Dec 2007 ]
During his time as an officer, he served as a troop commander and a battery captain and served two tours in Northern Ireland. During his time in Northern Ireland, he was wounded when a pipe bomb was thrown at him, which also severely injured an RUC officer stood next to Roe. The officer died after spending four week on a life support machine.
As a captain, he transferred his commission to the Army reserve in April 2000.

In 2002, Roe joined the London Fire Brigade as a firefighter and in January 2017 was appointed as Assistant Commissioner.

During the Grenfell Tower fire, Roe was appointed incident commander where he revoked the controversial 'stay put' advice to the residents. As the first commissioner appointed since the fire, Roe issued a plea to the residents of London's 7000 high rise blocks to set aside any 'post-Grenfell doubts continue to follow firefighters’ advice in the event of a blaze.'

On 28 January 2020, Roe became the first LFB commissioner to sign the Armed Forces Covenant with the British Armed Forces.

(https://www.militaryimages.net › media › dempsey-barracks-sennelager-germany.29281)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: royal regt artillery   royal regt artillery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

royal regt artillery
Page 1 of 1