BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 40 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 40 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Trying to find information on my father

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wheelgunner
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Trying to find information on my father Empty
PostSubject: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime25/9/2008, 14:56

Hello.
I'm trying to find information on my father after WW2. His name was Adam Katafiasz, and I know the following:

Until Sept, 1939, in the Polish Army

June 22, 1940 - April 10, 1945: "Employed" by Reichswerke AG for Erzbergbau und Eisenhutten "Herman Goreing", Salzgitter, resident at: camp Altenhagen 28/22

Oct 30, 1948: Employed at the "Civilain Mixed Watchman Service", no place mentioned.

Dec 30, 1949: IRO emigration camp Wentorf

Can anyone give me information on how I find where he was between 1945 and 1948, as well as where he was during his Mojo service, and what he did for them?

Thank you very much for any information.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime6/10/2008, 01:11

It is quite possible that he was in a displaced persons camp during those years. A lot of Poles, etc. were in such camps for quite a period of time after the end of the war, for one reason or another.

Where you would find any further information, I personally could not tell you. Maybe someone else on the Forum will be able to help.

As for MSO service, he could have been in any number of places as a driver, guard, or other somesuch occupation. It is a pity that we do not seem to have easily available records for the MSO.

Come on someone - prove me wrong!! I double dare you Very Happy

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Wheelgunner
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime27/11/2008, 05:07

I just found some more information. On his marriage certificate of 1947, it states that he was a Lieutenant residing in Hamburg CMWS Post 697. Does that help?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime27/11/2008, 10:19

Wheelgunner wrote:
I just found some more information. On his marriage certificate of 1947, it states that he was a Lieutenant residing in Hamburg CMWS Post 697. Does that help?

CMWS was the Civilian (or Civil) Mixed Watchman Service, a forerunner of the MSO. The post number would have been his station in Hamburg.

I do not know if there are any records/archives on the CMWS or MSO that would give details of personnel etc. although WO 32/19486 contains information on the Civil Mixed Watchman's Service, Civil Mixed Labour Organisation, Mixed Service Organisation and German Service Organisation: recruitment and conditions of service, Covering dates 1946-1959.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Wheelgunner
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime27/11/2008, 14:05

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant, but what is WO 32/19486? Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime27/11/2008, 18:55

Wheelgunner wrote:
I'm sorry if I seem ignorant, but what is WO 32/19486? Thanks for the update.

You are not being ignorant, it was my mistake in not giving more detail. The number is a reference on the UK National Archives site to a file about the CMWS.

Unfortunately it cannot be viewed on-line, only in person, and it may not contain any relevant details to your quest.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Wheelgunner
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime27/11/2008, 19:07

Is there a way I can contact the UK National Archives to have a search done for his name and/or unit?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime28/11/2008, 17:56

Wheelgunner wrote:
Is there a way I can contact the UK National Archives to have a search done for his name and/or unit?

The National Archives do have a research service, but it would work out quite expensive for it to be done, especially if you are unsure of exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/gettingstarted/paid_research.htm

The above page will give you a general idea of costs.

I have found a reference to a file in the Archives about Polish Service Personnel (WO 315/3), although I do not know if it would be of any help to you.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Wheelgunner
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime30/11/2008, 02:53

Brilliant! (as you folks say). *grin*

Could you give me that reference please?

Also, my e-mail address is wheelgunr@charter.net if you wish to send me any information you might have.

Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime30/11/2008, 13:11

The file I referred to consists of details of:-

Organisation and disbandment of Polish Land Forces, enlistment, verification of ranks, promotions, personnel records and reductions of strength

There may be a reference there to the person you are looking for, but I would not hold my breath. The whole of the section (315) seems to deal with Polish matters, 71 files in total.

An enquiry about MSO records led to two replies. One gave a lead to an agency in the UK, but no joy ther I'm afraid, the other to a possible place in Germany that I will take a look at.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trying to find information on my father   Trying to find information on my father Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trying to find information on my father
Page 1 of 1