BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 55 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

Number of posts : 26
Cap Badge : RASC / RCT / AAC / RAOC / RLC
Places Served : UK / NI, BAOR, South Arabia, Singapore +
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Empty
PostSubject: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime30/3/2009, 16:09

Hello there, I just found the link to this site, from the RAOConline site, so called by and decided to stay.

Thought it only polite to say that I shall lurk around with a mill board for a while make a few notes, and maybe throw in the odd comment now and then.

My time in Germany (BAOR) first time around was badged AAC, at Wildenrath and then Herford.

Second time around, was badged RAOC, at Paderborn, Obernkirchen and Muenster.

Also did a couple of exercises in my youth as RASC / RCT and later as RLC TA, at Bracht and Moenchen-Gladbach.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime30/3/2009, 16:38

Welcome Niner Zulu to a great site and a interesting group of guys .. looking forward to your input .. no rush, take your time ..

Ciphers (Len)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime31/3/2009, 11:38

Len,

Many thanks for the welcome

John
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime31/3/2009, 12:28

Hi John, I'm here as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime31/3/2009, 18:45

Hi Jim - good to find company
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime1/4/2009, 13:46

I'm here too,there's more RAOC here than you can shake a stick at.
Back to top Go down
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime1/4/2009, 16:56

Hi Nobby,

Oh dear I'd better go and hide before I bump into someone who knows me lol!
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Sgt
Sgt
Bugsy

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : RAMC
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime19/4/2009, 21:17

That's a bit strange, Niner Zulu. You've set me to thinking now, because I also served at Obernkirchen, but I never saw any RAOC wallahs there.

MsG
Back to top Go down
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime20/4/2009, 10:11

Hi Bugsy !

You will have been 29 then ?

You guys moved out of Obi, and it was empty for a while and then when the re-org Combat Supplies was undertaken, 49 Coy RAOC moved in.

We moved in late 77 - early 78, which is when I went there, I left for Muenster in Jan 81, and the unit stayed on for about another 3 years or so, the camp was finally closed and it is now a residential estate.

I have posted a few details under the Obernkirchen link on this site.

John
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Sgt
Sgt
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime20/4/2009, 13:55

Cheers Niner Zulu. I thought I was losin' me marbles there, for a while, mucker.

Aye, I was in 29 when they were there, although I don't know where they went after that.

You saying it's now a residential estate, I wonder if they kept the old Nissen hut on the top car park. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MsG
Back to top Go down
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime20/4/2009, 14:30

The old Nissan hut was still there when we were and it was used by the Petroleum guys for storage of the equipment.

The whole of the top end of the camp was taken up by the Petroleum Pln, the next building down was the cookhouse / canteen, which was linked to the Sergeants Mess (accn was across the road in the low building).
Back across the road was a wood building (probably same era as the Nissan), it was quite large and was the Office etc for the Ammunition Pln, who all worked out at the Outstations (Forward Storage Sites).
Next building down the hill was the OR Accn.
Next down was the HQ Building and next CQMS.
Last was the "Schloss" which was the JRC (NAAFI refused to take it over so we ran it ourselves), behind that in the Sheds was my kingdom, the MT.

Most of the guys who served there during the RAOC era, are still in contact with each other and hold mini - reunions, a number married German girls and still live out there.

I got involved with a number of local German clubs etc and still receive Christmas cards from some.

They were good times !
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Sgt
Sgt
Bugsy

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime20/4/2009, 23:03

It seems strange that the Nissan hut wasn't demolished a long time ago, but, then again, it was a very solid structure.

The “wooden building” you refer to, mucker, was built around 1970, and long after the Nissen hut. I was there when they built it.

If memory serves, as you entered the building, you had two offices on the left, two on the right and two facing you. These were, in order from left to right in the days when 29 Fd Amb was there: the orderly room, the pay office, the COs office, the Adj’s office, the Chief Clerk's office and the RSMs office. Aah, the memories.

I can only remember all this because it was me who wired up all the inter-office intercoms they insisted upon in those days. You can't imagine the buckets I sweated creeping around in that very low loft laying wires and connecting them all up to a central board.

At the same time, I also rigged up a further connection to the singlies' block across the way that led through the eaves, so that I, or anybody else for that matter, could listen to what they all had to say to each other. Very interesting stuff sometimes. I often wonder why nobody ever asked why there was a supported cable running from the new admin block (as it was known then) to the singlies' block, but in those days there wasn't such a paranoid attitude to life in general. Happy times indeed!

MsG
Back to top Go down
Niner Zulu
Sgt
Sgt
Niner Zulu

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime21/4/2009, 09:05

Wow! The wooden building built 1970, it was still in one piece when we took it over in 1978, and laid out as you describe, but very sad looking, but it did last until we left and the Germans demolished it after that.

To your credit the intercom still worked when we were there and it was me who had to go out and locally purchase and fit the terminals, because they worked, I didn't have to trace any of the wiring, I did notice the cable to the OR accn, but didn't trace that to see where it ended. Perhaps I should have done, but the building was nothing to do with me, and no one else was interested.

Our HQ was in the low brick building the other side of the OR Accn to the Wood Building. It was quite "plush" compared with the rest of the buildings, the OC's office was on the end by the road, and his window faced the accn, so he was subjected to a number of "accidental moonings", especially when he had visiting dignitories !

One OC who I particularly disliked, had his office raided one weekend, the carpet pulled up, and "stink bombs" indiscriminantly scattered, the carpet relaid, and everything left as it was. For months after, he kept standing on them and setting them off, but never figured out where the smell came from ! I wouldn't like to say who did it !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !   Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello, Newbie reporting to Guard Room !
Page 1 of 1