BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 29 field ambulance
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/5/2024, 02:34 by Pborn4

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland

Go down 
+36
TonyE
BobG
JPW
brrowe
mjm34
TaffyS
Rocky
spud-nick
jim
brum
Ian
whitehorse660
Big_Mike
ChrisP
Norman
recymech
Paul
relay69
Mike_2817
Jimnopidy
nobby clark
Mikey
wrinkles
snatch
alan8376
298HALL
bob
dandc
donald
graham wright
ciphers
Gwynno
Hardrations
recce83
Teabag
Stephen Lock
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime13/9/2009, 19:50

Oh yes, of course there would be Canadians who got out while in Germany and successfully stayed, for whatever reason. I am aware of one or two in Deilinghofen area and no doubt there are some kicking around in Hemer/Iserlohn, Werl, Soest and areas as well. There are certainly some down in Lahr, I know.

I think the success of one's life as a Canadian now living as a civvie in Germany hinges on a host of things such as ability to be fluent, or at least communicate well, in German, a certain level of education that would help assure a job not confined to manual labourer (not that there is anything wrong with being a manual labourer, and it can pay quite well of course, but if one is relegated to being one because of poor language skills or lack of education or what-have-you, that's quite a different story), adaptability in general, etc.

When I was back in '73 I was not yet 21 and while I spoke fairly good German, it was limited and the grammar was pretty bad (I never could master the 'die', 'der', 'das' pronoun thing and was forever mixing up the pronouns and usually just opted for 'das', figuring I'd be correct at least 1/3 of the time!) -- cute when I was 20 but perhaps not so much once I'd hit 30 or older....

At that time I only had high school education, and even at that just barely. While I consider myself well-read etc., I was not a particularly 'good' student and my grades were always iffy; passes but always, at best, at the high end of average and even then certainly not all! So to move into a career in Germany was, at the time, pretty much outside my grasp.

Plus, the bureaucracy of living and working in Germany was bizarre.

One of my favourite stories about my return to Soest in '73 was that, despite having a job waiting for me (a requirement before I even departed for Germany), I could not get my work visa finalized until I had a residence permit. I could not get a residence permit until I had a work visa...and around and around I went. Admittedly, I did jump the gun by heading to Germany before my work visa was finalized as I was impatient with the wait via the German Consulate in Edmonton at this end (Canada) and took off to Germany anyway, which may have contributed to the delay I'm now guessing.

At any rate, not being able to get one without the other and the other without the one made for a Kafkaesque scenario. The friend of my dads, Erich who was the foreman at the Hemer MQ heating plant, pulled some strings with some city officials in Soest and got things moving for me and -- finally -- everything fell into place after 3 months on my friend's family's couch in a small attic flat occupied by him, mom and dad, a brother and a toddler (brother). No doubt they were glad to see the ass-end of me!! LOL

I often hoped to go back for holidays and regret I never did. Life circumstances were always such that 'this year' I couldn't and before I knew it, 'this year' had evolved into 20 years then 30 years and so on....I doubt I will ever return. Certainly my partner has no interest and I certainly have no interest in doing it solo.

What was your wife's village? Was it near Hemer or Soest or one of the other Brigade towns?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 01:48

To-day Mrs E and I went to Gasthof Gutenberg on Portage Ave. in Wpg. for our mid-day repast. It was a touch of Germany. I was transported back to Deutschland. It was smorg style servings, everything is prepared by German chef's who are schooled in Germany. Schnitzel, wurst, wild boar, spaetzle, German fried potatoes, dark brown veal goulash, red cabbage, sauerkraut, wild mushroom garnish, mushroom gravy. Then there was the desert table. OH LORD!!! Now I know why gluttony is a sin, the apple strudel was made from fresh apples not canned baking apples, all sorts of tarts, poppy seed squares, eclairs, etc. Light and sweet on the tongue, heavy on the hips. I had the apple strudel with a garnish of heavy whipped cream. I left with a smile and full tummy. There was piped in music, one can get use to having Lili Marlene softly sung in the back ground as you select your salad choices with many other splendid songs and brass band music being played as you ate. So if any of you old BOAR vets get to Winnipeg I'll shall take you to Gasthof Gutenberger for a fine German meal ( sorry no curry wurst on the menu) Where I shall also let you pay for the meal out of the sheer generosity of my Canuck heart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 10:34

Can I be rude and ask how much a meal like that is going to cost me?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 14:03

Chemist wrote:

It came to $55.00 for two people that also included the tip. 30.5199 GBP in your money so Money converter says
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 14:14

Hardrations wrote:
Chemist wrote:

It came to $55.00 for two people that also included the tip. 30.5199 GBP in your money so Money converter says

Thats 34.62 Euros to us in "rip off" Ireland. I would expect to pay twice that here

That is value for money,but then was'nt eating in Deutschland always good value. In Deutschland kann Man gut essen und trincken
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 14:18

the discription of the meal sounds like the price is worth it,the only problem now is hitching a lift to CANADA,dave.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 14:18

I know Chemist. Next month I'll be the fella out in front of Waterloo station with tin cup, torn old trench coat and medals askew attempting to pay for my stay over.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 14:33

before i was entitled to a married quater[not enough points]my wife and i lived in a small hiring in a small village near fallingbostl,one sunday the owner of the place we lived at came knocking at our door,[now remember i could just about ask for a beer in german] all i could hear was,mittags tish,essen fertig,i did not have a clue what was happening,it turns out we were invited to lunch,roast pork lots of crackling,boiled potatoes and boiled red cabbage,still one of the best meals we remember,dave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 15:13

Hardrations wrote:
I know Chemist. Next month I'll be the fella out in front of Waterloo station with tin cup, torn old trench coat and medals askew attempting to pay for my stay over.

You can always get a good(English) meal at the Union Jack Club just across the road from Waterloo Station. lol!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime14/9/2009, 18:57

Chemist wrote:
Hardrations wrote:

You can always get a good(English) meal at the Union Jack Club just across the road from Waterloo Station. lol!

I know, that's where we'll be staying. So of course I need the lolly since they've gone posh. T'iss a lovely place to stay, much changed since I had stayed there in the 60's. lol!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/9/2009, 00:28

Hardrations wrote:
To-day Mrs E and I went to Gasthof Gutenberg on Portage Ave. in Wpg. for our mid-day repast. It was a touch of Germany. I was transported back to Deutschland. It was smorg style servings, everything is prepared by German chef's who are schooled in Germany. Schnitzel, wurst, wild boar, spaetzle, German fried potatoes, dark brown veal goulash, red cabbage, sauerkraut, wild mushroom garnish, mushroom gravy. Then there was the desert table. OH LORD!!! Now I know why gluttony is a sin, the apple strudel was made from fresh apples not canned baking apples, all sorts of tarts, poppy seed squares, eclairs, etc. Light and sweet on the tongue, heavy on the hips. I had the apple strudel with a garnish of heavy whipped cream. I left with a smile and full tummy. There was piped in music, one can get use to having Lili Marlene softly sung in the back ground as you select your salad choices with many other splendid songs and brass band music being played as you ate. So if any of you old BOAR vets get to Winnipeg I'll shall take you to Gasthof Gutenberger for a fine German meal ( sorry no curry wurst on the menu) Where I shall also let you pay for the meal out of the sheer generosity of my Canuck heart.

Awww geeeez....now I'm hungry AND homesick, Hardrations!!! LOL

Here in Calgary, we did have a German gasthaus, a few actually (large German population in an area called Bowness and, of course, sprinkled throughout the city), still do but not as many as before.

There is the Gasthaus in an area called Mission, but it is very Bavarian as so many of them are. Many moons ago, there used to be a North German restaurant downtown my parents and I went to quite often called The Black Forest Restaurant; I believe the owner was originally from Lahr. Then out in the foothills in a small hamlet (picturesque in its own right) is a wonderful German/Bavarian restaurant, the Edelweiss and it's about as close to authentic as one finds here abouts. The aforementioned Gasthaus in Mission is a tad "Hollywood." Kitschy, actually, although the food is good. I could do without the oompa band, though LOL

Given the level of ex-pat Deutschlanders kicking around Calgary, I would have thought there would have been far more German places. Oh well....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/9/2009, 10:17

Stephen just for once I am going to question your logic.

When we returned to the UK (wife & I) we moved to Andover which is pretty close to Salisbury Plain and therefore packed with military,most of whom must have been in BAOR at some time.

There was not one German themed eating place probably nearer than London until one opened in a village just outside Andover. Great we thought, a taste of the old food. Before we could get there it had closed.

Apart from the odd bratty stall turning up at local shows there is no German food in the UK outside London. Why? I don't know.
The most popular cuisine in the UK is Indian/Bangladeshi. Again why?.The answer seems to be that it suits the UK palate. Here in Ireland there are very few Indian/restaurants I think again the food is too alien to the Irish palate.

So although we who have been privileged to enjoy the delights of German cooking, study I think we are a minority. Our pleasure is not shared by all who have served in BAOR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/9/2009, 19:03

Quote :
Our pleasure is not shared by all who have served in BAOR

How true that is..
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/9/2009, 21:45

Of course there is a very large Indian/Bangladeshi population in UK, especially in London, and many families in an attempt to 'get ahead' open their own businesses catering at first to their own ethnic group and from there to the larger population that 'discovers' the cafes, restaurants, sari stores, etc.

The closest analogy I can come up with is Jewish establishments in, for instance, New York...the delis and such that are now such a part of the fabric of the city but initially no "proper" gentile would be seen dead in such a 'foreign' place. Now? totally different.

German food, as we know, is quite heavy and appeals to the Canadian palate (we have long winters and recognize, if only on an intuitive level, we need to stock up on carbs and heavy foods) and our own foods are not dissimilar.

While UK cuisine has certainly improved from the boil-it-half-to-death mindset of years ago I think the British palate, apart from the current love of all things curry, gravitates towards far lighter fare than what good solid German food offers.

But, yes, I think you make a valid point with us being so exposed to it we acquired a taste for it and that, coupled with whatever good times we were having while consuming the food (thereby creating a connection in our brains), also created an appreciation for it. Foreign/exotic enough to be interesting, yet familiar to what we were used to (oh...no goat's eyes? Good!!!!) to not pose too much of a culinary threat LOL

I suppose there are those who served over there, be they BAOR or Brigade, who didn't like the food. I can't imagine it myself, but doubtlessly there were.

This is somewhat along the same lines of a conversation my mother once had with another Canadian Army wife back in 1960 when we were living out in Helle-Balve. Somewhere in there this woman was kvetching about how she hated Germany and how homesick she was etc etc etc. Not an uncommon situation for many of the younger wives, to be sure.

My mom, in an attempt to highlight the opportunities living in Germany gave us, made some mention of "all the history" we had around us, the old buildings etc.

"If they're that old, they should be torn down..." was the response.

Aaaaghhhh.....

So, yeah, some just were not willing to adapt whatsoever and consciously refused to do so. Wouldn't try and learn the language, wouldn't respect local customs, etc. And they ended up the losers for it.
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime16/9/2009, 11:38

Hardrations wrote:

Thats two sites I've read that on Ross,your a cruel man,drooling twice in a day is not good for me Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime16/9/2009, 20:24

There are German restaurants around, in the London area at least.

Last week, I had an appointment at Moorfields Eye Hospital. When I was walking away up the City Road afterwards, I came across a place called The Bavarian Beerhouse (190 City Road).

The menu on display indicated the sorts of comfort food dishes that you would expect. I can't vouch for the quality, as I didn't go in.

There used to be a Bavarian place in Ruislip Manor, of all places. Long since gone.

I've also stumbled upon those occasional "German Markets" that spring up here and there, particularly before Christmas. They always have one or more Imbiss stalls. Prices are usually quite high for an Imbiss.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime16/9/2009, 23:15

generosity of my Canuck heart.[/quote]

Thats two sites I've read that on Ross,your a cruel man,drooling twice in a day is not good for me Laughing[/quote]

I did wonder Knobby if some one would pick up on that. Now we'll wait and see if Wrinkles picks up on it.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/9/2009, 00:21

There was a small gasthof just outside the rear gate into Sennelager run by a retired British Army officer that served one of the best cold cutlets and potato salad for a long way. Can't remember the name of the place, but I used to stop in when I was up visiting friends in the 17/21 Lancers in the 60s. I'm sure he depended solely on the army to keep him going because there were very few, if any, houses around the area. Have I jogged any memories?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime19/9/2009, 03:32

Can't help you with the name of the Seenelager gasthof, recce, but you mentioning how it was sort of out there all by itself put me in mind of a gasthof off in the woods near Balve, closer to Helle-Balve for those who might remember the area.

It was a nice little place, but quite isolated and literally in the woods. I have no idea why it was there but it had been for years and years. It was a good walk from the edge of town. Odd.

And there really was nothing in Helle-Balve except four 3-storey blocks of flats (2 for German families employed by the local light factory and 2 rented out to the Canadians), a couple of houses, and that was it, basically. It's changed now, of course. Even in 197os when we returned what had been open farmer's fields were now built up with factories.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime23/9/2009, 19:03

Finally found the proper name for that variety of yellow flesh potatos we were discussing a while back: SIEGLINDE.

Cheers

Rod
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime23/9/2009, 20:15

www.gasthaus.ca/gasthaus-pubandpatio.html" border="0" alt=""/>
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime23/9/2009, 20:51

For those of us who were priviledged to experience the German Sunday 'Kaffe and Kuchen' mit schlag sahne, served on the best china, is an experience one does not forget lightly!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime24/9/2009, 01:00

One of the 'sense memories' I still carry with me is the aroma of a Konditorei. A mix of rich coffee (Arabic, I assume or possibly Ethiopian beans), baked goods, honey, chocolate, that rich whipped cream the Germans excel at making, the wax used on the wood, potpourri, newsprint, and pipe/cigar/German cigarettes.

My parents toyed with the idea of opening such a place once we were back in Canada but, as mom pointed out, Canadians at the time were not used to such refinements (she didn't phrase it that way) and added "Someone would probably come in and want a goddamned burger or something...." Probably true, too.

Now, out on the coast in Victoria due to the English influence out there, which is very strong, there are many tea-rooms which is about as close as one gets to Konditorei.

And, yes, I recall being invited down to the landlady's flat on a Sunday for "Kaffe und Kuche"...usually quite a spread! Very social and very...well....nice. Not posh or uppity, just nice. One of those little social conventions, like afternoon tea, that has been dropped from so many people's agenda. We're all too busy now to engage in such genteel past times. It's just not the same thing as a barbeque or having a few beers (also nice, of course).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime24/9/2009, 11:14

Kafe und Kuchen

Back in the eighties Munster had two big Konditorie-Schucann (?) and Grotemeyer. The array of cake like objects in the windows was amazing, but they never quite lived up to their looks in the taste department. But the clientel were fascinating

Munster had a shop which sold just hats,for women and men. Again the variety was amazing, and both sexes,of a certain age ,wore them round the town. It was the kind of shop that the UK lost back in the fifties

The town was a mixture of scruffy students and the slightly snobby older generation who probably were looking back to the "glory " days. Those students must now have their own kids in the uni.

Ho hum I'm getting oldSounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_farao
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime24/9/2009, 20:12

Yikes...ain't that the truth!!!

While I was aware of the years passing in my own life it still came as a shock to me to learn that my best friend, Juergen, had also aged. I mean, last I heard one of his two daughters had married and had kids, making him a -- gasp -- grandfather!!! No no no no, not possible!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland
Page 6 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next