BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 29 field ambulance
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime14/5/2024, 02:34 by Pborn4

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 31 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland

Go down 
+36
TonyE
BobG
JPW
brrowe
mjm34
TaffyS
Rocky
spud-nick
jim
brum
Ian
whitehorse660
Big_Mike
ChrisP
Norman
recymech
Paul
relay69
Mike_2817
Jimnopidy
nobby clark
Mikey
wrinkles
snatch
alan8376
298HALL
bob
dandc
donald
graham wright
ciphers
Gwynno
Hardrations
recce83
Teabag
Stephen Lock
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/9/2009, 09:47

This sound reminds me of Munster around 64-65,was on every pub juke box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMK7nL2RuyI
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/9/2009, 09:59

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_cheers OK lads -confession time. Stephen thinks he is old at 55. I am 76.How about some of you who have not confessedSounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Sleep

AlanSounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_rr Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_rr Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/9/2009, 16:20

76 and holding my breath ...

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/9/2009, 16:22

dont hold it too long len,[sorry could not resist],dave.
Back to top Go down
relay69
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 16
Places Served : Harrogate66, Herford, Sharjah, Verden
Registration date : 2009-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/9/2009, 19:07

I´m 58 mmmm
when in Herford Hammersmith Barracks I can remember coming back at night, at the back of the camp there was a restaurant where one could get a spaghetti bolognese on what must have been a serving tray even at 0100 hrs absolute great if you were luck may be an Au pair from uk would be there a great time 69/70
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime25/9/2009, 20:42

OK, maybe this is a bit of a reach....but how about this for a sight and sound? The "plop" sound when the air bubble in the bier stieffel (the one being held toe up instead of toe down by the unsuspecting and heretofore uninitiated new arrival, to the unbridled delight of his mates) came to the surface and the sight of the result: foamy beer all over the drinker's face?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/9/2009, 08:45

recce83 wrote:
OK, maybe this is a bit of a reach....but how about this for a sight and sound? The "plop" sound when the air bubble in the bier stieffel (the one being held toe up instead of toe down by the unsuspecting and heretofore uninitiated new arrival, to the unbridled delight of his mates) came to the surface and the sight of the result: foamy beer all over the drinker's face?

Of course I got caught on that one. drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/9/2009, 10:27

Didn`t we all Embarassed
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime26/9/2009, 15:57

Now all you youngsters,stop bragging about your age!In the Mess we had "the boot",and anyone not downing it in one go(bubbles or not)had the pleasure of a second go.Herforder in Herford,and Detmolder in Detmold!
------
Don
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime27/9/2009, 20:32

I never encountered the Bier Stiefel until the very end of our tour, when I visited down to Lahr (circa 1971/72) while my Dad was stationed to Wetter and we lived in Iserlohn. It wasn't much of a tradition amongst Canadian teens up in NRW, as I recall.

I do recall, in the time honoured tradition of 'liberating' various gasthof souvenirs such a beer glasses, half-litre mugs, ashtrays, decals, and pretty much anything with a logo that wasn't nailed down, of depositing a beautiful glass Stiefel outside the low window of some gasthof in Lahr for later retrieval and then totally forgetting about it...it may still be nestled in the shrubbery outside the window!! It would have been a nice addition to my collection....

Whether or not I got drenched the first time I quaffed beer out of one, I don't recall. Probably!! Certainly by the time I returned to Canada and had occasion to go to The Gasthaus here in Calgary (a Bavarian restaurant with a pub (not gasthof) attached), I was well-versed in the fine art of properly quaffing out of the boot. Civilian friends who had never encountered a Stiefel weren't....
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime28/9/2009, 15:25

Anyway,its October Fest time,so why drink your beer out of a "stiefel"when you can have it warmed up a bit by the ample curves of those Bavarian gals,they take your beer to heart!Went last year,but can't this one,but you can get all the October Fest goodies here in Detmold too(without the gals)
Prosit
------
Don
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime29/9/2009, 19:45

While I understand the attraction of having buxom beer wenches 'warming' up your beer it does occur to me that wanting a warmer beer to begin with is a peculiarly British thing....warm beer??? Blech. Beer should be cold and frothy with the moisture from condensation languorously rolling down the side so that one has to wipe one's chin after taking a slug off out of your stein. Buxomness has its attractions but, geez, keep the bosom outa my beer!! I have no idea where it's been, do I? LOL
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime29/9/2009, 23:04

Stephen Lock wrote:
....geez, keep the bosom outa my beer!! I have no idea where it's been, do I? LOL

Unless you have prior knowledge Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

(Could not resist that one)

Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime30/9/2009, 07:39

Quote :
wanting a warmer beer to begin with is a peculiarly British thing....

HMMMM

The overriding factor in enjoying a beer is the temperature it is served at. Whilst many people enjoy a cold beer, it is argued that room temporary is most conducive to the enjoyment of ale's which have a wide variety of aromas and after tastes which travel better in warmer air (hotter particles travel quicker and therefore smell - which is actually an essential component of taste - translates better at higher temperatures). If you are serving beer with food be sure not to serve it too cold as this will affect not only your ability to taste the combination of flavours in the beer, but also those on your plate as well!

Generally, people will have their own preferences to how warm or cold they like to drink their beer, but it is worth bearing in mind the above points. If any further pointers are needed try the guidelines below:

Barley Wines and other very string beers are best served at 10-13° C
Bitters are best served at: 10-12° C.
Lambic, or Lambic style Fruit beers and Wheat beers are best served at 5-10° C.
Lagers at 8-10° C.
Stouts and other dark ales at 12-15° C
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime30/9/2009, 16:00

So there you have it,whose ordering those 5 fridges to keep their guests happy.I find that having a celler keeps the beer just at the right temperature.But as Gordon said,its mainly a matter of taste.If you asked for a "warm" beer here you'd probably get chucked out!
-----
Don
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime30/9/2009, 16:59

when i,and other serious drinkers put our gladrags on all we were worried about was how well it slid down our necks,happy days,dave.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime1/10/2009, 06:57

At those temperatures I'd say the beer was cool. But then again, in the 70's when my parents and I would bip over to UK to visit family (Dad's side) and stay with them what they considered "room temperature" was, to us, downright chilly! If they happened to have radiators in the house, those flat white things, they were almost invariably blood temperature. So serving a beer at "room temperature" also varies LOL Your average Canadian room temperature, for good bad or indifferent, hovers around 65-70 degrees F...I even find it a bit warm and prefer a cooler environment.

Now, having had a few pints in a couple of UK pubs I did find the beer/ale a tad too warm for my tastes. Asking for a cooler beer resulted in ice-cubes being plopped into my mug...not sure if it was because it was a way of shutting the bloody colonials up and showing us or really a case of just not understanding.

German gasthof beer was always served at a temperature I thought civilized.

However, Gordon has a very valid point...with the proliferation of decent beers and ales and such and an understanding that a good beer with a good meal is as much a ritual and...whatever the word is I'm looking for...a culinary experience....as having a good wine with a good meal, he's quite right about the various temperatures various types of beers and ales and stouts should be served at.

The type of glass a beer/stout/ale/Lambic etc is served in also makes a difference in the taste experience.

Drinking a beer right out of the can or bottle....yeeechhh!!! I mean, I've done it and still do on occasion but it certainly renders it less palatable than pouring it -- properly -- into the proper vessel and consuming it.

An ice cold beer on a hot summer's day is one thing.

A properly chilled ale/stout/Lambic served in the proper glass with a good meal is another.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime3/10/2009, 19:19

Can anyone put a date on the first 'BFG. BP Petrol Coupons?' I believe the price per litre was 1/3 of German pump price!

When did BFG car registrations first take off?

The cars I had during my BFG tours inc my wife's were, starting from 1967:

Opel Rekord. Reg No. DA 408B
VW Beetle x3
VW Camper
Austin A40 x2
Simca 1100
Mini Metro
Rover SDI 3500
Morris Marina
A moped (French), with the drive over the front wheel which you dropped down once you got going, that is after after peddling like mad!
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime4/10/2009, 16:05

I may be mistaken,but when I first was stationed at Wolfenbüttel in 1948 the few Officers,who were wealthy enough to afford a car,had BFG registration.Not even the RSM could afford a car then!!!!As I remember the first cars amoung the "ORs" started to appear in the early 50s!I remember when I was posted back to UK my VW had to have Brit registration beginning XX.
-----
Don
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime4/10/2009, 16:39

Chemist wrote:
Stephen just for once I am going to question your logic.

When we returned to the UK (wife & I) we moved to Andover which is pretty close to Salisbury Plain and therefore packed with military,most of whom must have been in BAOR at some time.

There was not one German themed eating place probably nearer than London until one opened in a village just outside Andover. Great we thought, a taste of the old food. Before we could get there it had closed.

Apart from the odd bratty stall turning up at local shows there is no German food in the UK outside London. Why? I don't know.
The most popular cuisine in the UK is Indian/Bangladeshi. Again why?.The answer seems to be that it suits the UK palate. Here in Ireland there are very few Indian/restaurants I think again the food is too alien to the Irish palate.

So although we who have been privileged to enjoy the delights of German cooking, study I think we are a minority. Our pleasure is not shared by all who have served in BAOR

I went to visit a pal at Tidders a few months a go and was pleasantly surprised to see a Bratty wagon had set up not far from the Police station unfortunately I didn't have time to try the delights he had to offer, but must be a nice addition to Tidworth.
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime5/10/2009, 15:36

Lifes funny,now on my last visit to UK in June the first place I headed for was a fish and chip shop.Must say though that since they don't wrap 'em in the News of The World any more they don't taste the same!If you ever visit Detmold head for Rudolphs in the town,best bratties and currywurst going!
------
Don
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime6/10/2009, 16:03

Was in Aldi this morning and noticed they had Senf. They also had either Bratwurst or Bockwurst soup. Can't remember which. Should have bought a can just for the hell of it but was loaded up. (didn't get a trolley).
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime6/10/2009, 17:59

the last time i was in tidworth[69] an extra pub would have bankrupt the drummer,i hope its changed for the better,dave.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime7/10/2009, 01:39

donald wrote:
Lifes funny,now on my last visit to UK in June the first place I headed for was a fish and chip shop.Must say though that since they don't wrap 'em in the News of The World any more they don't taste the same!If you ever visit Detmold head for Rudolphs in the town,best bratties and currywurst going!
------
Don

Ahhh...if I remember Germany and it's schnell-imbisses (brattie stands), I remember visits to UK and fish and chip shops with the newspaper wrapping. Classic. How could they NOT still wrap it in newsprint (News of the World or whatever...does the flavour change if they used, for instance, The Observer or the London Times?). I mean, geez, does no one appreciate tradition???

I remember biting into a lovely piece of battered fish during a blustery cold autumn evening, my collar turned up and hunkering down into my coat, and feeling the warm fish cascade over my palate, the fine white flesh all but dispelling the damp. Suddenly, the world didn't seem so grey and damp after all! Vinegar on the fish and chips too! Lovely....

Apropos to absolutely nothing, but just occurred to me....using mayonnaise on chips. Not the sweet mayonnaise we get here, that doesn't work at all, but the slightly biting mayonnaise slathered over french fries (chips).

When I tell Canadian civvies about eating mayonnaise and french fries one can almost see them cringe. ah well..... Smile
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime7/10/2009, 07:45

An ideal car market for the Brit squaddies in BAOR was the RH drive VW Bus and Beetle.

Ever wondered why there were so many? Apparently, the German Postoffice (Bundespost) had so RH drives so they could empty and deliver safely mail boxes on the streets!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland
Page 7 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next