BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 29 field ambulance
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime14/5/2024, 02:34 by Pborn4

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland

Go down 
+36
TonyE
BobG
JPW
brrowe
mjm34
TaffyS
Rocky
spud-nick
jim
brum
Ian
whitehorse660
Big_Mike
ChrisP
Norman
recymech
Paul
relay69
Mike_2817
Jimnopidy
nobby clark
Mikey
wrinkles
snatch
alan8376
298HALL
bob
dandc
donald
graham wright
ciphers
Gwynno
Hardrations
recce83
Teabag
Stephen Lock
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 15:52

graham wright wrote:
uncle bill,remember his his endof programe sisn off...good night children..everywhere....on another thread already mentioned my first curry wurst mit fritten in hemer..nevermind the halbes hanchen and those frikkedelen in every bar in hemer and iserlohn .cant remember what those pork things were called ...boiled with onions and put on half a brotchen...graham
I met 'Uncle Bill' in the late 60,s, he was a nine bob note...........
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 17:07

I remember in '77 standing in BBC Belfast waiting to start "Ulster Calling" and the studio staff yelling abuse at Uncle bill (coming over a loudspeaker from BFBS) because he was droning on for too long. It was a sunday and they'd passed their time in a pub.
Owl and flippin' Badger.
Asters, heard him on BFBS in Cyprus in '93. I bet some jealous Pad has killed him by now!
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 17:58

I was surprised to find that Asters is still alive and kicking somewhere in East Anglia I think. I am currently putting all of my vinyl onto disks as MP3s and, to my horror, I have found an LP of 'Aster Greatest Hits'!!! I must have been well 'tired' when I bought that! Such memorable hits as 'Leap Up And Down Wave Your Knickers In The Air' and 'J'Taime' and 'Dear Aunti Vera' etc. Dreadful stuff. Must have been several "yellow handbags" (Herfies) involved in the purchase of that!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 19:49

While we're "plumbing the depths", how about that programme,"Sprechen Sie Deutsch?"
"Frau und Herr Weber are going to the supermarket to buy a new panzerfaust".
Enough to make you drink Desroches!
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 19:56

Well, prepare to go even lower. When I went back to BAOR in the 80's I remember 2 things about BFBS. On the rdio was a very tiresome individual called 'Nankers the old horse'! A guy called Richard Nankivel who did the mid morning show and thought he was the dogs kahoonas to all the women in BAOR. How they laughed! And on the fledgling BFBS TV was a sports reporter who had the plummiest accent you have ever heard and always reported in a suit and tie. (Can't remember his name).Came to the Rothman's 6-a-side tournament at Rheindahlen in posh suit and didn't like the muddy squaddies playing football too near him. A sports reporter!! I think not!
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 20:30

Allan King...............does anybody remember the name of the blonde woman he presented BT4TO9 with Debbie ? she ended up on the QVC Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfA6H6VdHg

Dave Raven , Tommy Vance , Me Mark Page and the Sid Sausage Video Club.
The last song of the old year and the first song of the new year auctioned off for charity.
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 20:34

No, this guy was worst than that! I think he was one of the very first plebs, sorry, presenters. Mind you, this guy was bad as well!. I remember TV on the Radio - Tommy Vance. Acually quite liked his show.
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 114
Cap Badge : naafi and efi/raoc
Places Served : baor, sardinia, saudi, benbecula and colly
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 22:30

used to like dave raven,used to play some good soul sounds,and tv on radio tommy vance,sad to hear of his death a couple of years ago.bfbs telly really changed the social scene in germany,was never the same for me after that Sad graham
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime4/3/2010, 09:08

I remember Tommy Vance on one of the pirate radio stations in the '60s

Smells ? Paderborn. Walking to Barker Bks on a frosty morning. Fresh bread smell from that bakery on the hill.

Sounds ? Being anywhere near the ranges and hearing "Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap,- kaboom". (That's a Tankie one !).
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 23:57

brum wrote:
I remember in '77 standing in BBC Belfast waiting to start "Ulster Calling" and the studio staff yelling abuse at Uncle bill (coming over a loudspeaker from BFBS) because he was droning on for too long. It was a sunday and they'd passed their time in a pub.
Owl and flippin' Badger.
Asters, heard him on BFBS in Cyprus in '93. I bet some jealous Pad has killed him by now!

Asters is still alive and kicking - http://www.richardastbury.co.uk/

Paul.

P.S. Got a computer problem at the moment - a problem of age (mine and the computer). I apologise in advance if messages go un-answered. Plus the fact my youngest daughter is getting married in 5 weeks. Those who have gone through the process will understand - those who still have to; May your God go with you. At least this is the last of the three, only the son to go now bounce
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime9/3/2010, 06:15

Congrats, Paul, on marrying off the last daughter!

At least with a son's wedding, it's his future in-laws, traditionally, that pay for it! LOL

Don't know if you're a traditionalist (i.e. daddy paid for wedding #1 so he was on the hook for wedding #2 and so he damn well is gonna pay for MINE...stamping of one delicate little foot inserted here!), but if so I'd say you've done your bit for the local economy marrying off 3 daughters! The local catering guild should award you a plaque or something LOL
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime18/3/2010, 21:39

I have just Googled for a small cheap hotel near to my old Army camp, Tofrek Barracks. Hildesheim for a small sort of Airshow meeting which is being held there on the old airfield.

I was gob smacked! The cheapie hotel is the block, across from my singly accomodation I lived in from 1967-71.

I've heard of "what goes around, comes around." This is taking the p****!
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime18/3/2010, 22:48

we used to gripe about the accomodation,now you will have to pay for it,what a bummer,dave
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime19/3/2010, 03:49

Congrats Paul. My oldest just remarried. They were kind enough to go to Las Vegas to do the deed. His last name is Prince, does that make her a Princess. Also his first marriage. I told my daughter to be gentle with him. What this has to do with , " Sounds and Smells of Deutschland", I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime23/3/2010, 16:50

If I might steer us gently back to the German media.

I had a flashback to German TV this afternoon. In the 70s a show called "Klimbims" (For the Brits, it was like "Tiswas"), and "Tatort", a crime series. Don't speak German but we were entertained anyway.

Why I suddenly remembered that stuff beats me, must be my age !

brum
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime23/3/2010, 18:37

For exactly the same reason as you, brum, I don't know why but I remember a radio programme we used to tune into at 7.05pm called, surprisingly, 'Funf nach Seben' (Not sure about spelling). This was during the 70's and I have no idea what channel it was on. It played all the latest disco sounds and latest records. I think they figured out that some of us brits were listening because the announcer would occassionally speak in English for us. But it was the 70's disco music that we all tuned in for. Oh those platform shoes! And, of course, there was also the glam rock!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime23/3/2010, 19:43

I don't think I ever came across that one Chris, it sounds like you strayed to the "Dark Side". I never tried German radio, the TV was bad enough.
A lucky minority of our people in Hemer were able to pick up a Dutch TV station which broadcast Brit soaps in English but we had to wait for "Spiel ohne Grenzen" and the bloody Eurovision Song Contest to pick up anything we could understand!
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime23/3/2010, 20:12

Very sadly the German Nation did like the Eurovision Song contest! We were not well received in the local Gasthoff if we started taking the proverbial out of it!! Spiel ohne Grenzen was one of those annoying programmes that you laughed at despite doing everything possible not to!! And then hoped that nobody saw you!
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 114
Cap Badge : naafi and efi/raoc
Places Served : baor, sardinia, saudi, benbecula and colly
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime23/3/2010, 21:51

brum,saw many a movie on dutch tv in hemer also the odd movie on ndr3.was in hemer when abba won the eurovision singing waterloo..graham..
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime23/3/2010, 23:53

Our unit was stuck with doing guard duty at a SAS (Special Ammunitions Site) 6 months of the year with the 50th Missile Regt. Any how one Saturday the fellows had the TV on watching a German soccer game that happened to be being broadcast over the British Forces radio. So we turned off the sound of the TV and enjoyed the English commentary. Well one lad came in asked how come we were getting the game in English on German TV. They told him it had a translater tube (valve for your Brit types). Of cours he said B*** S***. So they said go see Soupie (me) as I had installed it on a experimental basis. ( I was the the duty RC Sig Op). So old Norm comes in and asked about the translator tube. Well I had to tell him yes of course, and doesn't it work well. Well of course later on he realize he had had his P***er pulled. Incidentaly Norm remustered out of the RCA and became a CWO (WO1) in the Radar Tech. trade. To this day he denies it ever happened.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 16:40

I think we can all agree that German TV was pretty grim in the 70s !
Like you Graham I saw Abba on Eurovision, we were laughing at the clothes they were wearing. Who would've thought then that they would become so famous? (Frida could've had my body anytime she wanted).
We got a TV because my wife insisted that if I was going to keep rushing off to N Ireland she wanted something other than four walls to look at. A slight improvement maybe !
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 19:57

Hardrations wrote:
Our unit was stuck with doing guard duty at a SAS (Special Ammunitions Site) 6 months of the year with the 50th Missile Regt. .

Can you tell me if that SAS was up the hill off the highway somewhere between Wickede and Minden? I remember in 1963 when we were out on a map-reading excercise we found the newly-paved road and drove up to find a bunch of Americans in mufti doing mysterious things. Later there was a double fence around the compound. Since we had just had an Honest John Bty attached to 4 CIBG and knowing what 50 Regt packed around it wasn't hard to deduce that some pretty nasty stuff was behind the wire. Hope I haven't stumbled over the Official Secrets Act.

REJOICE...IT'S SPRING!!!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 20:20

You got it correct recce. I was attached to 1 SSM. I don't think your enroaching on any thing secret. I have a picture of what's left. I'll have a look for it. It's just a grass filled field now. The yanks completley gutted it out. I think every one between Menden and Iserlohn knew that it was there and what it was for.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 20:32

When I was stationed in Paderborn we had to endure a similar SAS guard in Sennelager.
We signallers had to man a radio in a cell in the guardroom and radio check the site every half hour 24/7. Total screaming boredom !
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime24/3/2010, 20:34

Hardrations wrote:
You got it correct recce. I was attached to 1 SSM. I don't think your enroaching on any thing secret. I have a picture of what's left. I'll have a look for it. It's just a grass filled field now. The yanks completley gutted it out. I think every one between Menden and Iserlohn knew that it was there and what it was for.

Thanks. Don't know why I said Minden instead of Menden. Speaking of which, does anyone know if the Menden rifle range is still there?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland
Page 9 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next