BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland

Go down 
+36
TonyE
BobG
JPW
brrowe
mjm34
TaffyS
Rocky
spud-nick
jim
brum
Ian
whitehorse660
Big_Mike
ChrisP
Norman
recymech
Paul
relay69
Mike_2817
Jimnopidy
nobby clark
Mikey
wrinkles
snatch
alan8376
298HALL
bob
dandc
donald
graham wright
ciphers
Gwynno
Hardrations
recce83
Teabag
Stephen Lock
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 21:47

And here we are at the basketball game. Don't look Ethel!! Too late, she's already had a free shot!!

I remember it well.

Noch ein bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 22:08

Norman wrote:
And here we are at the basketball game. Don't look Ethel!! Too late, she's already had a free shot!!

I remember it well.

Noch ein bier,

Norman.

Was that Bill Cosby?
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 11:43

http://www.blasterbates.info/wnwindex.html
Quote :
The Shower of shit over Cheshire
Laughter with a Bang - Track 8

.The shower of shit over Cheshire took place somewhere near Plumley about 3.5 miles East of Northwich possibly near the junction with the A556

Misquoted as "The shower of shit over Shropshire" as in the story Blaster says "You've heard about the shower of shit over Shropshire? well we're having one over Cheshire today."

"The Shower Of Shit Over Cheshire" was on Blasters first LP and you can get a taste of his humour on his play list, which has a few MP3 files.

http://www.blasterbates.info/Media.html

However you can listen to "The Shower Of Shit Over Cheshire" on YouTube along with a lot of his other tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwven0Rt94

I first met Derek Bates in the 80's and knew him well, and attended one or three of his 'talks' and he was very non PC for the time. At one time I had all his LP's as well, but a house fire in 1996 robbed me of a lot of my collections and memrobella much of which may never now be replaced sadly, perhaps if I had triad harder at time!

Some of Blaster's CD's have now been re-released by the BBC who acquired the copywrite from 'Big Ben' records.

Derek died in 2006 aged 85 and I attended his Memorial Service at St Mary's Church in Sandbach, Cheshire.

Last edited by Mike_2817 on 12/6/2010, 13:06; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 12:29

Teabag wrote:
Norman wrote:

I remember it well.

Noch ein bier,

Norman.

Was that Bill Cosby?

No it was Ray Stevens: The Streak from 1974

I've even found it on YouTube Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUIu03s3oNY

Who remembers

Ian Dury - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick from 1978?

Another madcap tune played at NAAFI & Mess functions at the time and into the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A61i0Xscj-k

Note - If tunes from the past takes off, I will split and create another thread.

FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 13:29

Although I never met "Blaster" Mike, I know he lived in Deans lane Sandbach.
I have two of his LPs in the loft, (that's the last I'll see of them, then!).
I'll be in St Mary's on Armed Forces Day.
Small world eh?

brum
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 17:42

Well give him a nod from me as he was an RAF Halifax Bomber Pilot followed by a stint as RAF Bomb Disposal, and he always took an interest in forces matters.

I will be at Deepcut for Armed Forces day on the 26th as it was once the home to the RAOC, now RLC

FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 20:56

You've reminded me Mike.
One of my favorite "Blasterisms".
On describing a woman with large top kit. "She obviously had no toys as a child".
Cracks me up!
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 23:36

It was not just his stories & jokes, but the way he told them Brum. I saw him live a few times, and heard him tell the same story in a totally different way, and with hand signals. You could almost smell the dynamite, which he even sometimes turned up with.....

Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 00:38

Speaking of the smell in Germany (which, or rather many of which, I remember, hence my calling this the "Sounds and Smells of Deutschland") my recollection is the smell of burning peat from the chimneys on brisk Fall evenings and mornings.

The smell of the oil in the space heaters some of the accommodation out on The Economy had.

The aroma of fresh warm brotchen wafting out from every bakery in town.

Yes, the smell of Turkish blend (ugh!) cigarettes and rich Ethiopian or Arabica coffee.

the smell of whatever the wax that was used on the wood in gasthofs...back in the days when folk actually waxed wood!

The smell of damp forest and vegetation out around the Sorpesee.

The smell of the cool damp green limestone found in Soest after a rain mixed in with the scent of roses and lilac etc.

The pungent aroma of boiling cabbage in the stairwells of German working class blocks of flats.

The subtle sweet aroma of baked goods and chocolate in a Konditorei (coffee/tea room) mixed in with the above mentioned coffee and cigarette, or sometimes cigar, smell. Not unpleasant at all...

And, ahh yes, the wonderful aroma of your local honeywagon out on the rural roads. Turnips rotting in a field (used for swill. No human, no German human, would consume them!!).
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 09:08

Whenever I walk in pine woods during hot, dry weather. That smell always takes me back to a cammed-up position in a German forest during some interminable exercise or other. All that's missing is the distant roar of a Hydra burner !
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 15:48

And the smell of those pine needles in the forest,especially,if like me,you put your 2 man bivvy over an ant colony in those needles.And then to be told afterwards "its an offense to disturb ant colonies"!And those ants were red,about half an inch long,and can carry 100 times their own weight!So they had the jaws to match!
-------
Don
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 16:57

I hate the smell of diesel. It reminds me of the soaking I got when I was a Chieftain driver, after one of the prats in the turret forgot to lock the filler caps after a running replen on a FTX out in the oolloo in Germany somewhere. ONce the turret ring had filled up, it then flooded my drivers cab. It was like a tidal wave hitting you in the back of the neck. I was drenched in diesel. Even though I'd eventually managed to get cleaned up and most of the cab dried, the smell stuck with me for the remaining 2 weeks or so of that Ex.

One smell I do like is that of the German XMas markets. It's probably already been mentioned on the thread but it was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 21:25

You are correct Mike, I was talking about this topic to a mate of mine yesterday and he said it was Ray Stevens. 36 years ago, how time flies. I will now click on to you tube and relive it.

Noch ein bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 22:45

Hope you enjoy it Norman, It took me back i can tell you.

Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 23:38

As a Mechanic in REME, I know all about going to kip in or on a sleeping bag after trying to wash off diesel of my clothes following an engine repair.
Worst was winter time in the snow on Soltau/Luneberg. Getting oil/diesel off my skin was no mean feat with cold water Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 10:44

ah Stephen, what a lovely evocative post, takes me right back.

Speaking of diesel, when we were very young newly weds, Colleen my wife took it into her head to wash my NBC kit, now that was a laugh, the whole flat and most of the block were in tears at that one.
Back to top Go down
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Devizes, Lurgan, RAF Aldergrove x2, Topcliffe x 2 Bielefeld, Lubbecke, Munster, Middle Wallop, Hildesheim, RAF Wildenwrath
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 16:00

What reminds me of the smells of germany is being sat in a hide with the aircraft, we were in the woods freezing to death outside it was 20C + and we were all sat in noddy suits trying to keep warm, fight off the ants, and the smell of Avgas whafting over from one side and Kero B from the other from the No1 Burners, even today i can still smell it when i am in a wood some where
Back to top Go down
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Devizes, Lurgan, RAF Aldergrove x2, Topcliffe x 2 Bielefeld, Lubbecke, Munster, Middle Wallop, Hildesheim, RAF Wildenwrath

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 16:03

Another smell i still love was the Imbiss with the smells of bratties coming out of it, but even better was the smells from the Bier Fests that the local towns ran. The best was in Lubbecke where they had a fountain in the square linked direct to the Barre Brau Brewery and they used it to give free beer away, i was only told this the next day as i could not remember anything for obvious reasons LOL ( free beer who could resist it)
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 16:39

ah yes, the smell of the schnellie, makes my tummy rumble. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 17:31

The smell of powder and cheap perfume as you walk the road near the Halle of Muensterland.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 20:15

You just can't miss the smell of burn't hair when igniting the No1 Burner!! (or was it skin?) on Exercise.
Back to top Go down
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 22:31

I think it was both lol
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 09:20

gallahad wrote:
The smell of powder and cheap perfume as you walk the road near the Halle of Muensterland.

Ladies of the night I take it Gallahad. Wink
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 22:17

Can anyone remember going to pickup those every large chunks of ice from some German factory to keep stuff fresh out in the field or a mess do?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 01:06

I had a curry wurst for lunch to-day. Always takes me back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds and Smells of Deutschland   Sounds and Smells of Deutschland - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sounds and Smells of Deutschland
Page 11 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next