BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 54 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November

Go down 
+8
oldtimer
arbor
ciphers
Teabag
Stephen Lock
Paul
nobby clark
Hardrations
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Empty
PostSubject: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime26/10/2009, 02:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8poZshcDj8g

I know this is a bit off subject, but I like to share it each Nov 11
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime26/10/2009, 13:52

As I said on BBC,you cant tire of that clip.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime26/10/2009, 14:47

Can't remember where I got this one from.

WHY WEAR A POPPY

“Please wear a poppy”, the lady said
And held one out, but I shook my head
Then I stopped and watched as she offered them, there
And her face was old and lined with care
But beneath the lines the years had made,
There remained a smile that refused to fade

A boy came whistling down the street,
Bouncing along on carefree feet
His smile was full of joy and fun
“Lady”, he said, “Can I have one?”
When she pinned it on he turned to say,
“Why do we wear a poppy today?”

The lady smiled in a wistful way,
And answered “This is Remembrance Day,
And the poppy there, is the symbol for,
The gallant men who died in war,
And because they did, you and I are free
That’s why we wear a poppy, you see”.

I had a boy about your size,
With golden hair and big blue eyes.
He loved to play and jump and shout,
Free as a bird he would race about
As the years went by he learned and grew
And became a man – as you will too

He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile,
But he seemed to be with us such a short while
When war broke out he went away:
I still remember his face that day,
When he smiled at me and said “Goodbye,
I’ll be back soon Mum, so please don’t cry”.

But the war went on and he had to stay,
And all I could do was wait and pray.
His letters told of the awful fight
(I see it still in my dreams at night)
With tanks and guns
And the cruel barbed wire,
And the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

Till at last, at last, the war was won,
“So that’s why we wear a poppy son!”
The small boy turned as if to go,
Then said, “Thanks lady, I’m glad to know,
That really did sound an awful fight,
But, your son, did he come back alright?”

A tear rolled down the faded cheek:
She shook her head but could not speak
I slunk away, feeling sick with shame,
And if you’d been me, you’d have done the same.
For our thanks, in giving, is oft delayed,
Though our freedom was bought – and thousands paid

And so when you see a poppy worn,
Try to think of the heavy burden borne
By those who gave their very all,
When asked to respond to their country’s call:
That we at home, in peace might live.
So wear a Poppy! Remember! Give!

Paul.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime26/10/2009, 16:48

It`s a RBL publication..I have a copy on my site along with some of Ciphers poetry.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime26/10/2009, 17:06

Gordon. wrote:
It`s a RBL publication..I have a copy on my site along with some of Ciphers poetry.

Thanks for that, I think someone probably sent it to me at some stage.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime26/10/2009, 22:36

Every year we try to get down to the local Cenotaph (not always, especially the last couple of years) and while the crowds are not what I would like to see, what I do see are young families which is heartening.

Of course, every year we get the usual moaning about how the poppy glorifies war (like that ridiculous White Poppy stuff). I used to respond but got sick and tired of the usually uninformed bullcrap that I was met with and now just look at whoever it is spouting such stuff like they're a total idiot (which, of course, they are). I continue to wear my poppy every year...I just wish they stayed put better, that's my only complaint....I really need to invest in a safety-pin and always keep meaning to, of course.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/10/2009, 09:16

Stephen Lock wrote:
Every year we try to get down to the local Cenotaph (not always, especially the last couple of years) and while the crowds are not what I would like to see, what I do see are young families which is heartening.

Of course, every year we get the usual moaning about how the poppy glorifies war (like that ridiculous White Poppy stuff). I used to respond but got sick and tired of the usually uninformed bullcrap that I was met with and now just look at whoever it is spouting such stuff like they're a total idiot (which, of course, they are). I continue to wear my poppy every year...I just wish they stayed put better, that's my only complaint....I really need to invest in a safety-pin and always keep meaning to, of course.

You can get a mini metal poppy from the British Legion. You can wear them all year round.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/10/2009, 10:40

Unfortunatly ,you can only get the English version at present.but it does. Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Poppy Pins   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/10/2009, 12:47

There are two versions available:-

One is undated, and was the first one of this type to come out.

T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Poppy-10

Because there are people who collect badges and pins, a dated one is now available. I think that this is the first year.

T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Poppy_10

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/10/2009, 16:38

Not a bad idea.

I don't know whether the various Canadian Legions have considered these or not.

Of course, the cost is more than the current 'straight pin' felt version (well, not felt anymore, some sort of 'fuzz' overlayed on plastic) so the profit margin is reduced, so that'd be a consideration. Plus, I would think, people would be less likely to purchase one each year as is currently the case thereby also affecting the income derived from the annual sale of poppies.

For several weeks before Remembrance Day, various shops carry a Poppy Box on their front counters with a container where people can deposit their donation for the poppy (no set price).

Of course, each year some lowlife steals the Poppy Fund boxes, which never fails to generate a fair amount of outraged news coverage (of course).

Various solutions have been proposed around that, like having a more secured donation box...chained to the counter or something...but the veterans generally feel that visual undermines what the poppy is meant to represent; the hard won freedoms we enjoy due to the sacrifices of those who died in the various wars and engagements.

I like the versions shown here but at the same time would be somewhat loathe to lose the existing poppy even though everyone, myself included, constantly lose them off our lapels every year. The 'up' side of that is people purchase a replacement, so the sales are not 1/1 but more like 3/1 or 4/1, which is a benefit to the Fund. Not a conscious marketing ploy, but an effective one. LOL
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/10/2009, 16:49

Stephen look at my avatar. That is the Year of Veteran Pin (Canadian) It's been available from the DVA since 2003.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime27/10/2009, 17:00

We Remember Poppy

The above Poppy is sold by the Royal Canadian Legion here in British Columbia .. it is held in place by a pin like the one depicted in Paul's photo. Most of us wear it year round in our lapel, but on Nov 11 we wear it as a centre for the pin type Poppy that invariably falls off.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime28/10/2009, 18:10

Hardrations wrote:
Stephen look at my avatar. That is the Year of Veteran Pin (Canadian) It's been available from the DVA since 2003.

Ahhhh...of course!!! I've grown so accustomed to your avatar, Hardrations, I don't even pay particular attention to it anymore apart from seeing it as "you". LOL
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime28/10/2009, 18:15

Thanks, Len...I do now recall seeing this in the lapels of various Legion vets, of course. Here again is a case of seeing something all the time, not paying particular attention to it after the initial observation, and just sort of assuming it was a "Legion thing"...like a membership pin or some such, not unlike those often worn on the lapels of members of various fraternal organizations like the Elks or Oddfellows or labour unions, or what-have-you (and here I can't say fraternal orgs actually have such 'membership pins' but possibly do....).
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime29/10/2009, 22:31

Whilst not strictly connected to B.A.O.R., this badge/pin came into my possession tonight. Many of you will know of the event that has brought this into being. I am sure it will be of interest to our "Sapper" members, and I mean that with the best of intentions.

The purpose behind it - I do not know at the moment, but will endeavour to find out.

T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Scan0010
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime29/10/2009, 23:09

Its possibly connected to the two young Sappers who were murdered at Massereene Barracks in March of this year. Take a close look at the inscription.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime29/10/2009, 23:56

ciphers wrote:
Its possibly connected to the two young Sappers who were murdered at Massereene Barracks in March of this year. Take a close look at the inscription.

Len (Ciphers)

It most certainly is Len, I pass those gates quite often.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 02:41

That is one impressive pin
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 16:10

I went into three different businesses today. The first one a builders merchants, had poppies on the counter. I made a donation and took one. None of the staff were wearing one.

In the second one, a well known DIY store which is an anagram of Q & B, they also had poppies at the check outs. Only the security guard was wearing one and possibly he was ex forces?

In the third one an electrical wholesalers, they also had poppies. Again not one member of staff was wearing one.

I know we can't force people to wear one but I was gobsmacked that these things were right in front of them yet they never saw fit to make a small donation and wear one.

Sad, sad and very sad!
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 19:17

Is part of the reason, for not wearing a poppy, fear of being accused of not being "PC" - I think so in some cases.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 19:17

I've noticed they seem to be slow on people in general in picking one up this year. And we've just had our 132 death in Afghanistan. One would think that this would be on ones mind.The deaths are slowly getting regulated farther back in the paper. I guess it's the old story. The politicitians get a woodie sending the youngsters off to war and only worry about doing them out of any benefits due them.
Back to top Go down
arbor
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 20:29

but you shouldn't wear the poppy 'till 1 nov
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 21:26

arbor wrote:

Why?
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 21:45

god all these years i have been doing it wrong!

i suppose the next thing is i will find out i have been taking down my christmas decorations to early
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime30/10/2009, 21:52

arbor wrote:

Would that be, because the military generally gave us a date to put our poppy on the uniform? Something you'd carry on with out thinking about it.

Also something that happens over here. Is that when the Nov 11 service is finished in Ottawa, people leave their poppy on the grave of the Unknown Soldier. Which in turn many people do across Canada by leaving it at the foot of the Cross of Rememberence of where they have the service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November   T'iss getting to be that time again.   11 November Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

T'iss getting to be that time again. 11 November
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next